Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MyBoxersSayJoe

Basement rink/synthetic ice

Does anyone here have a basement or mini rink setup in their house?  Long story short, I have two basements, one is unfinished and wide open and I've been toying with the idea of doing a basement rink.  Has anyone has experience with synthetic ice?

I found it dulled the skates. Check out a few youtube reviews from coach Jeremy Rupkin -- he had a setup in his garage. I just tell the kids to roller blade (Mars?) in the basement. :biggrin:

I'd prefer ice skates, but if there's a substantially cheaper alternative, I'm not opposed.  Wonder if I could smooth out or polish the concrete floor...

And I'm wayyyyyy overdue for new inline skates, I have old leather Bauer Supremes.

On 9/23/2017 at 1:13 AM, MyBoxersSayJoe said:

Does anyone here have a basement or mini rink setup in their house?  Long story short, I have two basements, one is unfinished and wide open and I've been toying with the idea of doing a basement rink.  Has anyone has experience with synthetic ice?

It dulls the skates quick hour of practice.  It's more effort to skate on and that makes it great for training.  I skated on early synthetic ice in the early 80's . 

If I had the room and enough money to have a large enough space to get a few strides in . I would do it .  USA hockey had an advert for your own back yard real ice surface. Looked expensive 

I put a synthetic rink(ezglide) in my basement in 2011, but it has not been worth it.  You can use skates and it does work, but it is hard on  your edges and you get an incredible amount of these little white flakes of synthetic ice all over the place.  Also, the lubricant needed to make the ice surface slick,  gets all over your skate and laces etc. 

I don't want to be a doomsayer, my son has spent 100's  of hours in basement working on hockey, but 99% of the time has been in his shoes.  The surface is great for shooting, puck handling etc.,but he gave up skating on it years ago.  The theory is fantastic, but if I had to do it all over again, I would just put in a smooth surface to shoot off  and same myself 1000's of $! 

1 hour ago, Hurdles said:

I put a synthetic rink(ezglide) in my basement in 2011, but it has not been worth it.  You can use skates and it does work, but it is hard on  your edges and you get an incredible amount of these little white flakes of synthetic ice all over the place.  Also, the lubricant needed to make the ice surface slick,  gets all over your skate and laces etc. 

I don't want to be a doomsayer, my son has spent 100's  of hours in basement working on hockey, but 99% of the time has been in his shoes.  The surface is great for shooting, puck handling etc.,but he gave up skating on it years ago.  The theory is fantastic, but if I had to do it all over again, I would just put in a smooth surface to shoot off  and same myself 1000's of $! 

Sounds like how the original was. The marketing on the stuff that true shot sells has the lubrication part of the material.       My pal does hvac work and the condenser part that's out side is rarely bad but is replaced with unit replacement.  I'm thinking what it would take to make real ice . The under ice tubing is set up alot like radiant heating system.  I'm too tall for my basement without skates.