Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
itslunchtime

3d printed stick extension / knob!

TLDR: Teammate 3d printed a handle for me, it is sweet.:cool:

I have always used a wooden extension in my stick, for the last couple years as I have become a better skater I have been slowly cutting the extension down. The sweet spot for me seems to be only about a 1/2in extra onto the stick so I build up a knob using half width tape.

Cutting down a full 6inch wood extension seems like a waste and adding some extra weight - asked a teammate with a 3d printer "hey can you make this"

It came out awesome - I just need to lightly sand down the edges to save the palms of my glove and then toss 1 wrap of tape around it.

https://imgur.com/a/P1lsF

(sorry for the link, could not figure out where to upload here)

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, malcb33 said:

Very cool! I'd love to have something like this made up.

What material did you use?

This one was made with PLA filament - he mentioned we could switch to a co-poleyster filament / ABS if we need extra durability.

Interested to see how this one holds up!

FYI if you chop a 6 inch wood nob off to that short, you can take what got chopped and make a second nob. Two for price of one. 

Otherwise, cool idea. I wonder how well it'll hold up?  

8 hours ago, puckpilot said:

FYI if you chop a 6 inch wood nob off to that short, you can take what got chopped and make a second nob. Two for price of one. 

Otherwise, cool idea. I wonder how well it'll hold up?  

Very true and I have done that once before. This was more a fun project to see how it would turn out.

Nice part is because the knob is molded I can get a consistent shape/feel on each stick without a ton of wraps of tape.

4 hours ago, itslunchtime said:

pretty sure they can just not sure which consumer models are able to

Though I don't claim to be "up" on the most recent common models, most are going to print with ABS and PLA. For this purpose, ABS will hold up better than PLA, which can be more brittle when it is cold. I wouldn't say either is very rubbery.

I have a printer but the most use it has gotten in the last two years is a toddler using it as a booster to try and get to a box of crackers. itslunchtime, can you get the file for this from your friend? Could be interesting to mess with.

looks cool.  Here's my question...how will have a hard knob hold up with your glove palms?  on a side note...Ryan smyth used to have a hard knob end that was specvially made for him by Easton.  Would love to have one of those, but this might be the next closest option.  Does this guy take orders?

DSCN1102.JPG

Edited by hawkeyfan

12 hours ago, hawkeyfan said:

looks cool.  Here's my question...how will have a hard knob hold up with your glove palms?  on a side note...Ryan smyth used to have a hard knob end that was specvially made for him by Easton.  Would love to have one of those, but this might be the next closest option.  Does this guy take orders?

Send me a PM with some rough measurements you want, ill see what he thinks! With that one we should probably use the stronger plastic.

21 hours ago, EvilPepe said:

Though I don't claim to be "up" on the most recent common models, most are going to print with ABS and PLA. For this purpose, ABS will hold up better than PLA, which can be more brittle when it is cold. I wouldn't say either is very rubbery.

I have a printer but the most use it has gotten in the last two years is a toddler using it as a booster to try and get to a box of crackers. itslunchtime, can you get the file for this from your friend? Could be interesting to mess with.

I will ask, what printer or format would you like the file in? 

On 10/1/2017 at 5:36 PM, itslunchtime said:

TLDR: Teammate 3d printed a handle for me, it is sweet.:cool:

I have always used a wooden extension in my stick, for the last couple years as I have become a better skater I have been slowly cutting the extension down. The sweet spot for me seems to be only about a 1/2in extra onto the stick so I build up a knob using half width tape.

Cutting down a full 6inch wood extension seems like a waste and adding some extra weight - asked a teammate with a 3d printer "hey can you make this"

It came out awesome - I just need to lightly sand down the edges to save the palms of my glove and then toss 1 wrap of tape around it.

https://imgur.com/a/P1lsF

(sorry for the link, could not figure out where to upload here)

Would you be willing to share the 3D STL file so I can print one of these as well? 

1 minute ago, Nicholas G said:

Would you be willing to share the 3D STL file so I can print one of these as well? 

Are you looking for the small knob or the Axe handle? I will ask my buddy with the printer to get them uploaded to thingiverse or send me the files to pass along.

18 minutes ago, itslunchtime said:

Are you looking for the small knob or the Axe handle? I will ask my buddy with the printer to get them uploaded to thingiverse or send me the files to pass along.

Small knob. The handle style was already built by Torch. Maybe you can scan their design and make some improvements to their design. I have always liked their product but its HEAVY! 

http://www.proxrtorch.com/

If you remove the rubber cover its much lighter, but I think it can be improved upon.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jyPcxQumVb88yNQn6

Edited by Nicholas G

4 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Small knob. The handle style was already built by Torch. Maybe you can scan their design and make some improvements to their design. I have always liked their product but its HEAVY! 

Ours was modeled after a small hand axe we had and feels really good / light weight. We shall see how it holds up!! 

The next revision might have a slightly longer tenon - but we were limited size of the printing tray

43 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

I have a .prt or .stp file - will that work?

Edited by itslunchtime

12 minutes ago, itslunchtime said:

Ours was modeled after a small hand axe we had and feels really good / light weight. We shall see how it holds up!! 

The next revision might have a slightly longer tenon - but we were limited size of the printing tray

Very cool. I am down to help out with design and printing as well. I have access to a ton of materials, software, and tooling. Always happy to try and create new things.