Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thebronsman

Flex point/rating and their effect on power in 1s vs. 1x

Hey gang,

I've been using top end supreme sticks for as long as I can remember. Recently used a 1X which I loved the feel of, but found there to be a noticeable decline in shot power on wrist shots despite having the same flex (102) and curve (p88). I'm curious as to whether trying a 1X with the 112 flex might yield similar shot power to the 1S 102, or am i misunderstanding the physics on how these things work? I weigh about 250, so the 112 shouldn't cause any issues for me, have just never tried anything that high. Just curious to see if others have experimented with this type of thinking and if it works or i'm an idiot?

The kick point will affect your shots, I just don't know to what extend. It seems like since the loading time is shorter therefore less energy gets transferred, wrist shots (which take comparatively longer to load than snappers) will be less powerful.

Sticks don't have a uniform stiffness throughout the stick. Measure the flex on any given section of a stick, it can be different than the flex rating. The 1S is less stiff at the butt end and more stiff as you move towards the blade. The 1X is more stiff at the handle and less stiff near the blade. See graphs below. That softness near the blade is what allows for a quicker load and release, but is probably where you're losing the power.

flex1bsm.jpgflex3bsm.jpg

Taking a wrist shot with a 1s vs a 1x is not the same thing. Let's say you're putting the most stress on position X on the 1s to flex it and generate power. That same position on the 1x may be more flexible, so you're not generating as much power. Now, this isn't to say you can't shoot just as hard with the 1x. It's just that your used to the 1s and thus your technique is tuned to shooting with the characteristics of that stick. 

If you keep working with the 1x, I have no doubt you'll adjust and be able to shoot like you always have. 

FWIW- I have more of an issue switching between the rounded (1X) and square (1N/1S) shafts than I do switching between kickpoint locations. 

12 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

FWIW- I have more of an issue switching between the rounded (1X) and square (1N/1S) shafts than I do switching between kickpoint locations. 

Not to be a stickler (pun intended) but the 1N shaft corners are more of a hybrid between the 1X & 1S. The older generations of Nexus did have the same squared corners though. 

I really like the 2017 1N corners, so much so that I had TRUE give me as close to those as possible when I got my customs from them. They're a nice medium between the full, secure feel of the square Supreme and the easy-on-the-pressure points feel of the Vapor.

Power comes from your ability to load energy into the stick, store it, and then transfer it to the puck on release.  Supreme sticks are designed to store more energy, and transfer that energy to the puck.  That results in a more powerful shot.  But, to achieve that higher level of energy, it takes more to load.  You could go up in flex on the 1X to try and transfer more energy into the puck.  But the sticks are really meant for two different things.  If you typically shoot from further back in your stance and can get a lot of load on the stick, or take a lot of slappers, the 1S is just going to give you the best performance.  If you shoot with your hands well in front of your body, or the puck in the front of your stance, or with that flinging catapult motion off the toe, you will be better off with a 1X.  Low kick sticks are designed for quick release rather than maximum energy transfer.  So if you can generate that load and energy on the stick and are most concerned with the shot power, the 1S is going to benefit you more.