Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grinder

Teambuilding 'Player of the Game' Award Gone Wrong

32 minutes ago, NiCnoK said:

The only puck I've saved is the one I broke in half. 

That said, if our team had a friggin' WWF Champion belt, I'd be pumped to hand it out too. At one point we had a Trump-esc red PotG hat but everyone kinda just lost interest in it and/or just lost it. 

First thing we do once we're all in the room is hand it out. Thankfully my team seems to "get it" and its always given out to somebody for having a great game, making a big play, or sometimes as consolation after they did something really funny/stupid. It always gets a loud ovation when its given out. If nobody cared, we wouldn't bother anymore. Maybe just hand it out during playoffs or something. 

But then again I don't suppose most teams have a Jobu to pray to during playoff games either... IMG_0013.thumb.JPG.a03ebaca79ea67be75649a52a61e6639.JPG

11 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Ahh, beer league playoffs, or as I think of them, those couple of games for a t-shirt before I have to cut another check to the league.

Good for you.

4 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Ahh, beer league playoffs, or as I think of them, those couple of games for a t-shirt before I have to cut another check to the league.

We get a 15% discount off of next season's team fees for winning playoffs. None of that t-shirt nonsense haha.

22 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

We get a 15% discount off of next season's team fees for winning playoffs. None of that t-shirt nonsense haha.

I was going to suggest that the previous champions always get the 6:45 game instead of the 9:45 game. Now THATS something to play for!

Discounted fees is a pretty good idea too, though zero chance our director would go for that.

Just now, chippa13 said:

If our leagues had 6:45 games nobody would show up.

We have a lot more trouble getting people to show up for the late games. 

27 minutes ago, Stewie said:

I’m just surprised there’s areas where 945 is considered a late game. 

Those areas don't have much hockey then. I play on one team that all are games start between 10:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. 9:45 p.m. would be fantastic haha.

4 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Those areas don't have much hockey then. I play on one team that all are games start between 10:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. 9:45 p.m. would be fantastic haha.

Well it's Southern California. Not exactly known for being a hockey area. Though we have a lot of rinks in the county. I'm not sure about other rinks but at ours the last game on Sundays is 9:45, and the last game during the week is 10:15. I play pickup on Tuesdays at another rink from 9:30 to 11:00.

My point exactly. Nothing wrong with that. I'd much more rather have earlier games but the reality is that the Philly area has a lot of youth/scholastic/JRs/ACHA hockey. Ice time for us Forgetables will always get the crumbs...

On 11/8/2017 at 9:03 AM, chippa13 said:

This is beer league, not squirts, who needs a "player of the game" award? Do you also put scoresheets on the fridge when you score?

Always the troll, begging for attention. Keep up the good work, Chippa.

One of my teams had a giveaway-of-the-game trophy. Nobody wanted it, but it was fairly distributed. Something for adults; if a kids' team did that, the parents would riot.

On 10/28/2017 at 12:34 PM, Grinder said:

It's been a while since I posted. I’d like to get some advice from you folks.

Some background:

The ice hockey team I was put on by the beer league I joined is a group of decent enough guys. As with every team in this league, there is a wide range of skills, from people just learning the game to guys with some talent. I’ve been with the team for a season and a half now. Like many teams, they have an award (a goofy hard hat) that gets passed around to the ‘player of the game’ in the locker room after each game. The recipient is picked by the previous winner. I’ve seen a lot of teams do this to build team spirit and camaraderie; even my kid’s team does it (although it’s the coach who hands it out).

The issue:

Talking to a long time team member, the award was initially used to recognize a key play, or to acknowledge when someone had a really good game, or when someone really stepped up and played their socks off. What it’s turned into is the four or five highest rated players just passing it back and forth to whomever scored the most goals during the game. Here’s an example of what has been going on: Two games ago, the lowest rated player on the team (he had three assists the year before in 36 games) potted a goal and picked up an assist in the game. He was over the moon. After the game, the hat got handed to one of the skilled players who scored two goals (he does this pretty often), ignoring what was a banner night for the lower rated player.

In the last few months, it’s come up in conversation with a few of the other players on the team that they like playing for the team, but that “the hat thing” is becoming a bit of a piss off. The four or five guys who keep passing it around to each other are oblivious to how they’ve created a select group within the team.

Do I address this, or just shut up and leave it be? If I do speak up, how do I address this – bring it up in the locker room with the team, talk to the captain on the side, or what?

Thanks for your time.

My thoughts are pretty rigid on player awards both for praise and to goof on players . 

It shouldn't happen  win as a team loose as a team . When a puck goes in the net in the offensive zone it took 6 players to do it . When it goes in the net in the defensive zone it took six players to mess up .    You stay true to this ,it takes away all shit talking about players on the ice by the players waiting for there shift .

Another thing I would not allow on teams I have coached : names on the back of jersies . We play for the name on the front not the back.   When you are relevant in the sport people that need to know who you are will .    I don't even like seeing big odeal made after a goal ,the reward is on the score board  .   This stuff sounds harsh but it makes a true team .