Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marka

How are sticks refurbished?

Howdy,

I've seen various folks (hockeystickman.com being one talked about here now) advertise 'repaired hockey sticks'.

I was curious how that's accomplished?  Do they epoxy in an insert to attach the two pieces back together?  Something else?

Mostly asking out of interest, but also wondering if I could fix a couple broken sticks I have laying around.

Mark

In general you have to differentiate between two repairs, one for sticks broken in the shaft (most common for repairs) and one for blades (less commonly done).

With the broken shaft repairs, in general most places will do a straight cut next to the broken area on both ends (so it joins "seamlessly"), then they add an insert between the halves that are then secured by epoxy. The main difference between different methods is if a solid insert (e.g. with this DIY kit) or a bundle of fibers (where the open areas are then filled with a more flexible epoxy).

The ones I've seen so far ("refurbished" pro-stock sticks) around my area (mostly from czech shops) were not too impressive.

I was fooling around with this years back. Its pretty much done like you say.

But I would not really encourage anyone to pay/do it unless its a stick you really like.

Its not cheap and I found that the stick would break in another spot later on.

Because I had to cut some of the shaft off to make it a seamless join, the stick became more shorter/stiffer.

But hey, if you have spare time and materials, go for it. Its a little project

20 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I've seen various folks (hockeystickman.com being one talked about here now) advertise 'repaired hockey sticks'.

I was curious how that's accomplished?  Do they epoxy in an insert to attach the two pieces back together?  Something else?

Mostly asking out of interest, but also wondering if I could fix a couple broken sticks I have laying around.

Mark

I have a friend who works with carbon fibre, he repaired my broken warrior AX1 blades. They have held up well but play a lot stiffer. He tried a carbon fibre repair on a broken shafts but it didn't hold, you need the insert. The SRS repair system is quite popular in the US, look here http://www.srshockey.com/ or search them on youtube for a video of how it works.

I paid for SRS on a Bauer Totalone I found at the rink. The repair was about 1/3 of the way down from my top hand and the stick played well afterwards. I suspect a repair on the lower portion of the shaft would’ve stiffened it more so. 

Howdy,

Bringing this back from the dead a bit...

I recently broke an AK27SL about a foot down from the top of the stick.  Weird, I know.  I think maybe I hit something with the handle.

Anyway, the Bison kit says they're out of stock, plus I'm cheap.  Would a wood plug work as an insert?  The one they show _looks_ solid, I'm just curious if its wood / wood like?  It wouldn't be that hard to cut down a 4" piece of pine to fit in there...

Mark