Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
WilliamW217

Need Help W/ Picking Skates for Wide Feet

Hi Guys,

I'm currently working overseas and there are no hockey shops available to try on skates.  I'm 5' 10'', 200 lbs, have Flat and Wide feet.  I recently got back into Ice Hockey, had my Graf Supra 705 skates shipped from New York.  I'm size 9 wide on Graf 705.  After 2 skates, I have intense Lace Burn on my left foot, after some research I realized I failed the pencil test on my Graf skates by a small amount.  

My feet measures about 27 CM length and 10.5 CM width at the widest point.  There are no stores around me to try skates on.  I can only order online.  I have no budget.  I just want to get back into ice hockey for the exercise and fun.  After some preliminary research, I've realized most great brands like Graf and Easton are out of business.  I was considering very seriously the Bauer Nexus 1N skates from Bauer - Size 8.5 EE? Or CCM Super Tacks EE or Ribcore EE.

I would appreciate it if anyone had any advice for which Brand - Line of skates I should order and what size.  I cant believe my old glory Grafs gave me lace burn to the point I had to get off the ice after 1 hour of skating.  Thank you for reading this.

Will

*edited - I wear a size 10D in Nike running sneakers

Edited by WilliamW217

4 hours ago, WilliamW217 said:

Hi Guys,

I'm currently working overseas and there are no hockey shops available to try on skates.  I'm 5' 10'', 200 lbs, have Flat and Wide feet.  I recently got back into Ice Hockey, had my Graf Supra 705 skates shipped from New York.  I'm size 9 wide on Graf 705.  After 2 skates, I have intense Lace Burn on my left foot, after some research I realized I failed the pencil test on my Graf skates by a small amount.  

My feet measures about 27 CM length and 10.5 CM width at the widest point.  There are no stores around me to try skates on.  I can only order online.  I have no budget.  I just want to get back into ice hockey for the exercise and fun.  After some preliminary research, I've realized most great brands like Graf and Easton are out of business.  I was considering very seriously the Bauer Nexus 1N skates from Bauer - Size 8.5 EE? Or CCM Super Tacks EEor Ribcore EE.

I would appreciate it if anyone had any advice for which Brand - Line of skates I should order and what size.  I cant believe my old glory Grafs gave me lace burn to the point I had to get off the ice after 1 hour of skating.  Thank you for reading this.

Will

Your post says you were interested in trying the 1N or Super Tacks. For (roughly) the same price you can get custom skates shipped to you from True Hockey. You send in a drawing and measurement of your feet (or they can do it, I believe), and the skates will be built to fit that measurement including a few customization options. Quite a few users here have them, and everybody seems to be happy about them. 

If you still want an off the shelf skate, try the RibCor 70K in a EE width - correct me if I'm wrong but they should be flat, wide, and mold to your foot well with their construction. They will also cost a fair amount less than other top end skates like the 1N ($700 USD vs 950).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WilliamW217 said:

Hi Guys,

My feet measures about 27 CM length and 10.5 CM width at the widest point.  There are no stores around me to try skates on.  I can only order online.  I have no budget.  I just want to get back into ice hockey for the exercise and fun.  After some preliminary research, I've realized most great brands like Graf and Easton are out of business.  I was considering very seriously the Bauer Nexus 1N skates from Bauer - Size 8.5 EE? Or CCM Super Tacks EEor Ribcore EE.

Will

I think 8.5EE would be too long in the current Bauer and CCM lines (as well as the discontinued Easton Makos) if your feet are 27cm in length. My feet are 26.7cm long barefoot and I'm in 8EE Makos and feel like I could actually go down to a 7.75EE if that were an option (with the 7.5EE my feet are pressed right against the cap). I could see why you'd think 8.5 would be the way to go since you were wearing 9 Grafs and most people drop a half size down from Graf to other brands, but I'd trust your foot measurement. The Grafs could be a half size long and feel like the right size because they're narrower than you need and are elongating your foot - you should unlace the Grafs, push your foot all the way forward until it's against the cap and then see how much room you have behind the heel using a standard pencil (if you can fit the pencil width all the way down then they're likely a half size long).

I also have wide feet, a bit wider than yours with an approximately 12cm forefoot width, but have an average arch. The 8EE Mako line works well for me, but it's discontinued and the arch may be a bit high for you.

The D width Nexus skates are based on a EE last. I wouldn't go all the way to EE if you go the Nexus route as I have tried on a D Nexus (7.5D) and that was plenty wide for my forefoot - it was just too wide for my heel as I have a narrower heel. The Nexus is certainly a deep and wide boot. The 7.5D felt long enough for me in the Nexus line, but this was an older Nexus 800 from several years ago. Take that with a grain of salt, but I do think the D width Nexus is still wide enough in the forefoot for most people and EE would be sloppy wide for anyone that doesn't have EXTREMELY wide feet. 

Tacks in an 8EE might work for you - they were a bit too narrow for me in the forefoot, but your feet aren't quite as wide as mine. The heel lock was good in the Tacks.

I have not tried the new Ribcore skates, but the Ribcore line has been known for being good for flat feet in the past. I also know that it was a fairly shallow fit though; I don't know if that has changed with the latest model.

I agree with Jamaraquan, if you're going to spend high end money then just go the True Custom route. Trace and measure your feet and let them know you have flat arches and they'll build a custom skate based on that that will cost you around the same amount as a top end Bauer or CCM stock skate. 

Edited by althoma1

7 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

Your post says you were interested in trying the 1N or Super Tacks. For (roughly) the same price you can get custom skates shipped to you from True Hockey. You send in a drawing and measurement of your feet (or they can do it, I believe), and the skates will be built to fit that measurement including a few customization options. Quite a few users here have them, and everybody seems to be happy about them. 

If you still want an off the shelf skate, try the RibCor 70K in a EE width - correct me if I'm wrong but they should be flat, wide, and mold to your foot well with their construction. They will also cost a fair amount less than other top end skates like the 1N ($700 USD vs 950).

Thank you for your reply. I will look into (True Hockey).  I've never heard of them.  

2 hours ago, althoma1 said:

I think 8.5EE would be too long in the current Bauer and CCM lines (as well as the discontinued Easton Makos) if your feet are 27cm in length. My feet are 26.7cm long barefoot and I'm in 8EE Makos and feel like I could actually go down to a 7.75EE if that were an option (with the 7.5EE my feet are pressed right against the cap). I could see why you'd think 8.5 would be the way to go since you were wearing 9 Grafs and most people drop a half size down from Graf to other brands, but I'd trust your foot measurement. The Grafs could be a half size long and feel like the right size because they're narrower than you need and are elongating your foot - you should unlace the Grafs, push your foot all the way forward until it's against the cap and then see how much room you have behind the heel using a standard pencil (if you can fit the pencil width all the way down then they're likely a half size long).

I also have wide feet, a bit wider than yours with an approximately 12cm forefoot width, but have an average arch. The 8EE Mako line works well for me, but it's discontinued and the arch may be a bit high for you.

The D width Nexus skates are based on a EE last. I wouldn't go all the way to D if you go the Nexus route as I have tried on a D Nexus (7.5D) and that was plenty wide for my forefoot - it was just too wide for my heel as I have a narrower heel. The Nexus is certainly a deep and wide boot. The 7.5D felt long enough for me in the Nexus line, but this was an older Nexus 800 from several years ago. Take that with a grain of salt, but I do think the D width Nexus is still wide enough in the forefoot for most people and EE would be sloppy wide for anyone that doesn't have EXTREMELY wide feet. 

Tacks in an 8EE might work for you - they were a bit too narrow for me in the forefoot, but your feet aren't quite as wide as mine. The heel lock was good in the Tacks.

I have not tried the new Ribcore skates, but the Ribcore line has been known for being good for flat feet in the past. I also know that it was a fairly shallow fit though; I don't know if that has changed with the latest model.

I agree with Jamaraquan, if you're going to spend high end money then just go the True Custom route. Trace and measure your feet and let them know you have flat arches and they'll build a custom skate based on that that will cost you around the same amount as a top end Bauer or CCM stock skate. 

Althoma1, first off; Thank You for your awesome reply.  

What you said about my Grafs is definitely true, I didn't even bother doing that test cause I know you're right, and my toes in my Grafs do not brush against the front. At the time (1999), it was the most expensive pair of skates I ever owned.  I wear a size 10 D for Nike sneakers and was told to go down 1 size so I did.  Got them in Wide and it felt good.  I didn't realize until now they might have Not been the perfect fit.  

Your insight into the Nexus 1N skates are especially helpful.  I contacted a seller over here who is in another city and they only carry EE for Nexus 1N skates.  I was about to have them send it but now I will definitely reconsider finding another supplier to try on the Ds and also EEs.  I have a feeling Ds will fit me bc your feet are wider than mine. 

I'll also look into Super Tacks because I've always loved CCM and Bauer has a reputation for narrow boots (excluding Nexus).  I'll also research those custom skates but my equipment (all brand new) will arrive in 2 weeks. And boy am I excited..... Chasing those Varsity Glory Days.... lol. Thanks a lot pal.... Appreciate it.  

Will

• Like 2

Basing sizing on measurement makes more sense than going by shoe size as some people wear shoes looser than others and different brands fit diffently. I wear 10W in most dress shoes  10 sandals, 10 winter boots and 10.5 in most sneakers. The box that my 8EE Mako skates came in says they are for 9.5 shoes...if I went by the shoe size guidelines I would have ended up in an 8.5 which would be too big for sure. I would try on both 7.5 and 8 in a D Nexus if you go that route. For the Tacks line you would most likely need an 8EE,  but trying on multiple sizes makes sense. 

If none of them feel great or are approaching the $1000 range, look into True/VH.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Basing sizing on measurement makes more sense than going by shoe size as some people wear shoes looser than others and different brands fit diffently. I wear 10W in most dress shoes  10 sandals, 10 winter boots and 10.5 in most sneakers. The box that my 8EE Mako skates came in says they are for 9.5 shoes...if I went by the shoe size guidelines I would have ended up in an 8.5 which would be too big for sure. I would try on both 7.5 and 8 in a D Nexus if you go that route. For the Tacks line you would most likely need an 8EE,  but trying on multiple sizes makes sense. 

If none of them feel great or are approaching the $1000 range, look inti True/VH.

Thanks, Will do.  Excellent insight.  

I had the same thing as you.  Wore my old 705s but having flat wide feet, they were killing me so I did some research.  I went into Reebok/CCM (even just an E width) and they felt way better.  So I would say you would be safe going with CCM.

Later I had custom wide MLX (early VH), and those are the most comfortable skates I've ever had.  For 7 years.

Now I'm in VH this year, they feel the same but just stiffer.  

You can't go wrong with VH/True if you have no budget.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion Bure.  Mind if I ask if your 705s were in wide ? I actually just ordered a pair of Bauer Nexus 1Ns in 8.5 D.  I did a ton of research and these skates have to get shipped from US to China so I played it safe...

It was years ago and I think they were regulars.  I would say nexus is a good boot if your are going the Bauer route.  My friend has the same issue and got 9k skates years ago.  We both did a bunch of research and think nexus would be the way to go but haven' tried them on in store so I could tell you for sure.

• Like 1