Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caveman27

Not going to bake my skates

When I got my skates (Mako M8) I like the fit in store so much that I didn`t bake them. Didn`t have any pain or anything since.  It would have been interesting to try baked versus non baked, to see how the fit would have changed for me.  Really wish I could find another pair my size...

4 hours ago, Top Cheddar said:

When I got my skates (Mako M8) I like the fit in store so much that I didn`t bake them. Didn`t have any pain or anything since.  It would have been interesting to try baked versus non baked, to see how the fit would have changed for me.  Really wish I could find another pair my size...

That makes zero sense. I can’t imagine not baking a skate that was designed to be baked. 

Yours must have been previously baked by somebody else. Most people can’t even get Makos on their feet without baking them first. 

12 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

That makes zero sense. I can’t imagine not baking a skate that was designed to be baked. 

Yours must have been previously baked by somebody else. Most people can’t even get Makos on their feet without baking them first. 

Brand new, never baked. The guy at the store said I could come back and bake them at a later date if I wanted to, so I figured since they felt great I would at least try them without baking and then come back if I wanted to bake them. They felt perfect and I haven`t had a problem ever since.

1 hour ago, Top Cheddar said:

Brand new, never baked. The guy at the store said I could come back and bake them at a later date if I wanted to, so I figured since they felt great I would at least try them without baking and then come back if I wanted to bake them. They felt perfect and I haven`t had a problem ever since.

Well you have no way of knowing if they were ever baked though ;) 

Howdy,

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Well you have no way of knowing if they were ever baked though ;) 

I'm betting he has a lot better idea than you do if his skates fit really well.  :-)

Mark

I'm in a very similar situation as OP.  My last two pairs were both from 10+ years ago--one I broke in without baking and the other one I baked.  And, my current skates are JetSpeeds.  

Baking my JetSpeeds had a very dramatic effect.  Baking my previous pair of skates (NikeBauer Flexlite 18, which as far as I know aren't composite) made a barely noticeable difference.

3 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I'm betting he has a lot better idea than you do if his skates fit really well.  :-)

Mark

I don't know what fitting well has to do with whether somebody else had previously baked them while trying them on in the store?

2 hours ago, cause4alarm said:

I'm in a very similar situation as OP.  My last two pairs were both from 10+ years ago--one I broke in without baking and the other one I baked.  And, my current skates are JetSpeeds.  

Baking my JetSpeeds had a very dramatic effect.  Baking my previous pair of skates (NikeBauer Flexlite 18, which as far as I know aren't composite) made a barely noticeable difference.

Yup, skates today are designed to be baked. 

8 hours ago, cause4alarm said:

The materials aren't close to the same.  I'm 50 and recently purchased new skates and learning my self between the older bake skates and today's skates  .old skates the bake was to loosen the gel in the ankle.  The composite skates  become maluabe and form to the foot contours.        Another member explained to me that eventually the composite wants to go back to its original state so the molding has to be redone periodically.      So far I'm not liking the composite boots .  

On 12/8/2017 at 1:10 PM, caveman27 said:

This is my first pair of bake-able hockey skates. I'm ancient.

Anyway, I don't want to accidentally ruin them in anyway. They are kind of nice, CCM Jetspeed, last year's top-of-the-line Jetspeed models. I heard baking only accelerates the break-in process, but you can still break them in with just skating in them, like the old-fashioned way. I'm wearing them now, in my house. My feet are sweating.

Anyway, anyone else not bake their skates?

Hi . From what I gathered from previous posts it depends on the material  (what composite )  . There was one that baking pretty much shortened break in .   The current skates have to be baked . You won't get the fit the skate was designed around.   I'm also ancient and finding out that these current skate don't bend the way you and I are accustomed too . You will probably find yourself not lacing to the top. And you will probably notice that you are going to have change your stride and you may get pain in the front of the knee  .  This is about all I have for ya  ..

On 12/9/2017 at 3:55 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Source? Because I don’t see why they wouldn’t recommend heat molding skates that were designed to be heat molded.

Maybe?  Read about the 4052 or 4092 (?) Cant remember the spec sheet on that skate says it's not a. Bakeable boot.  The skate under it and ones better say they are bake.  It's kind of strange how that one model is different 

On 12/11/2017 at 11:23 PM, Vet88 said:

If you can get enough pressure in it to move the boot material, it would be a great idea. I've considered something like 2 airbags each side of a closed space like a box and your foot in between the 2. Pump them up and it compresses the boot inwards around the sides of your foot. You can easily generate a lot more pressure with a pump as opposed to a vacuum.

My vacuum pump is for automotive airconditioning work.  It can pull 2 atmospheres,  so roughly 30psi  . I have used the technique to use as a clamp for odd shapes. And molding lexan for custom motorcycle windshields