Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

strosedefence34

NY Islanders 17-18

I wonder how much that upps the odds of Tavares sticking around. I would have put it at about a 15% chance prior to today. Maybe a 50/50 now?

6 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I wonder how much that upps the odds of Tavares sticking around. I would have put it at about a 15% chance prior to today. Maybe a 50/50 now?

I'd like to think more 75/25 but who knows.  He's always said he wants to stay on the island, of course, he is the captain and has to say those things.

I take him at his word. I think he legitimately wants to stay on the Island and wants the team's future to be decided. If they don't start building a new arena then there would be the distinct possibility of relocation. He knows he's going to be a max length contract and wants to sign it knowing where he is going to be spending those years.

New Belmont Arena will be open for the start of the 2020 season and the Isles will renegotiate to stay at Barclays until then. Tavares signing is all but automatic now, knowing him though and his commitment and wanting to win, maybe slightly less than the max money with max years is my thought.

3 minutes ago, the_game said:

New Belmont Arena will be open for the start of the 2020 season and the Isles will renegotiate to stay at Barclays until then. Tavares signing is all but automatic now, knowing him though and his commitment and wanting to win, maybe slightly less than the max money with max years is my thought.

I'm still not convinced it's automatic unless he sees some sign of the team not being a dumpster fire anymore. Building is nice and all, but I don't think I'd want to sign a long-term deal unless there was SOMETHING positive with the team itself going on. 

The Isles are the top goal scoring team in the league, currently sitting in the 2nd wild card spot and only 4 points out of the division lead. They have the number 2 scoring rookie right now in Barzal. That all looks like "something positive" to me.

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm still not convinced it's automatic unless he sees some sign of the team not being a dumpster fire anymore. Building is nice and all, but I don't think I'd want to sign a long-term deal unless there was SOMETHING positive with the team itself going on. 

You don't know him like fans on LI do.  Very loyal guy.  True leader.  Humble.  He will stay.

11 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

You don't know him like fans on LI do.  Very loyal guy.  True leader.  Humble.  He will stay.

Completely agree. He's loyal and has been with the franchise through thick and thin. His only reservation was the arena deal, which has just been solved. Hopefully he can take a small pay cut to help keep the team competitive, not that I think he has the lifestyle to where he needs his current salary ($5.5m) anyway.

Edit: Tavares makes $5.5m, not 6.5

JT has been waiting for the arena deal and the right ownership, both of which are locked in now. 

I think my only question is does ownership do anything with Snow as GM. I remember maybe a year or so ago there were talks of the Isles adopting and bringing in a name for the "President of Hockey Ops" like Calgary/Toronto, wonder if thats still a thought. 

I actually went to watch the Islanders play the ducks the other day, and it's a shame that the Barclays center has such a weird seating layout because the arena its self is spectacular. 

I think he'll stay but his contract is definitely going up to the 8-10 mil range, which is quite fair considering his skill set. I consider him a top 3 center in the league in terms of all around play and consistency. 

As someone in Ontario who doesn't watch every islanders game, I'd suggest people tune in, they are a fun team to watch right now.