Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dizzyg12

NEW PANTS - NEED SOME RECOMMENDATIONS

Currently playing in X80 pants which have been good fit wise, and haven't had a ton of issues with protection, but they are starting to rip and tear in multiple spots from falls/skates and just general wear and tear.  I'm thinking of upgrading to the 1X, but I've heard that it's really overpriced and doesn't offer much better protection and that the X900 is a better buy based on the fact it's like $60 less and still has great protection.  

What are you thoughts on the two?

I think I ruled out out the supreme line as I don't love the tighter fit and feel more restricted in those.  

As far as CCM, I don't know a ton about them, other than the quicklite offer more mobility and the supertacks is like wearing a protective bubble.  

Listening to all recommendations since there isn't a great thread on pant reviews that I can find.

edit:  beer league level player, no check, btw. 

I’d try and find some higher end Easton’s. They made some great pants and they are ridiculously cheap now.

Easton makes great pants but the fit is probably a little more generous if you're coming from the Vapor line, just keep that in mind because most places that still have Easton pants are online.

To answer your question about 1x vs x900; I don't think I could tell the difference between any 1x product and its x900 counterpart if I was blindfolded. So I agree, the difference is probably very minimal. I do not have experience with the 1x pant personally but that is general feedback from experience with other bauer protective.

1 hour ago, DRR said:

Easton makes great pants but the fit is probably a little more generous if you're coming from the Vapor line, just keep that in mind because most places that still have Easton pants are online.

To answer your question about 1x vs x900; I don't think I could tell the difference between any 1x product and its x900 counterpart if I was blindfolded. So I agree, the difference is probably very minimal. I do not have experience with the 1x pant personally but that is general feedback from experience with other bauer protective.

Thanks!  Yeah I like the Vapor fit for sure.  I realize you give up some protection Vs other lines.  Aside from the belt system, a few curve composite pieces and maybe the liner I think they are relatively the same spec wise, but I had head the Corvette composite doesn’t offer as great of protection as the traditional molded pieces on the 900 and below.  Given that I have an x80 now it looks like the 900 is a step up from that anyway so I may go that route and save a few $$.   All the shops near me don’t really carry the top level 1x protective because they say it doesn’t sell as well so I guess that says something....

8 minutes ago, PaulieWalnuts said:

APX2's are awesome and can be had cheap on HM.  Not sure of your size but they're an awesome pant.  

Medium so no go on that but that’s a good thought.  

1 hour ago, Dizzyg12 said:

Medium so no go on that but that’s a good thought.  

The X900 pant is basically a renamed APX2.

Vapor - Nice tapered fit, closest fit to the Tacklas.

Supreme - The TotalOne girdle is a little snug. I imagine the 190 one to be looser.

QRL- Wasn't a fan of mine, the belt felt like a rope and wasn't even drawing the sides in. Also had some stitching fall off after less than 10 skates.

I tried the super tacos and the 1s on today.  The 1s was a better fit overall but I felt too snug and constricted just walking around I can’t imagine a skating stride would be less even after break in.  The belt area near the hip also had a pad of some sort that was very hard and pinching my side. So those are a no-go.  The super tacks were really bulky imo.  The butt especially and there are awkward pads in the groin area that bunch up when you bend over that are super annoying.  

Im really used to and drawn to the vapor line, they just didn’t have anything in my size other than the 700s.  I’ll check another store order online but I’m leaning towards the 900.  They had a 1x in an xl so I looked at it and I think it’s probably overkill for my leagues honestly so with the 900 being an upgrade from what I have I think I’ll be fine.  

I agree with checking out True pants. I had serious issues with the Super Tacks which you should be able to find in the long term review thread on this site.

From pants that impressed me while quickly taking a look at them, True and QRL were the nicest. 

10 minutes ago, Hills said:

I agree with checking out True pants. I had serious issues with the Super Tacks which you should be able to find in the long term review thread on this site.

From pants that impressed me while quickly taking a look at them, True and QRL were the nicest. 

I did see your review on the tacks, very helpful.  I looked at warrior qrl as well and felt they were a little bulky in the thighs and felt a little heavier than anything else.  I haven’t  seen any true in stores in my area.  

My gut tells me the x900s will be the sweet spot for me.  Not too bulky and overkill but better than what I have now.  I just have to order them online since the stores don’t seem to carry them.  Probably a price point decision.  

I’ll post a decision and review once I get whatever I decide on.  

Thanks all! 

Ok I got the x900 pants today and the fit is good.  A lot of extra padding.  A little stiff but I think they’ll break in nicely.

my main problem is the belt/buckle.  It digs into my dad bod beer belly.  The belly pad doesn’t do much.  It’s pretty think and flimsy.  So the belt and buckle start cutting in especially when I sit.  I know this is going to annoy me.

I might have to try some other options unless there’s a way to fix this....maybe take the belt out and fish a lace through?  

I bought a pair of Warrior Bonafide pants a couple of years ago. They were first piece of equipment from that company. I like the quality of build and materials, and I am still wearing them. Whatever higher-end model of Warrior pants should be good.

1 hour ago, caveman27 said:

I bought a pair of Warrior Bonafide pants a couple of years ago. They were first piece of equipment from that company. I like the quality of build and materials, and I am still wearing them. Whatever higher-end model of Warrior pants should be good.

That would be the Warrior QRL currently. I currently use them after wearing CCM Tacks for a year. I like them because they have a tapered fit and I finally found a pair that was long enough for me without having to go up a size which would leave me with too much room in the waist. Even with the 1" extension the Tacks were still short. 

So after the second game in with the x900s, they have started to break in nicely.  The first game i wore our team shells over then so I think that added to the restricted feel, the second game I went without the shell (different team) and they were much better but by the end of the game I hardly noticed I had anything different on.  I think these are a winner!