Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PaulieWalnuts

Shoulder pads with good kidney protection?

When I skate out I usually play forward and often times find myself as the guy in front of the net taking a beating.  There's usually 2 or 3 hard cross checks that I receive in a game.  I'm looking for a pair of shoulder pads that have good padding in that area.  I have QTL's by the kidney padding is thin.  Any suggestions?  New Super tacks or 7092's?  1s?  

I have the 1x shoulders and I think the padding there is pretty sturdy and covers my whole stomach and meets the tongue/center flap on my pants.

I bought my kid the 1x shoulders... I initially bought the 1S and the STX HPR's but returned them both and exchanged for the 1x... Love the HPR elbows so decided to give STX shoulders a try and was really impressed with the HPR's build quality although a bit heavier, but in the end, the back was just too short and felt too naked back there... 1S felt nice but back was shorter than I anticipated too. The 1x definitely have the longest back coverage and covers the most area in the lower back and lightest weight of all, similar to CCM CL's... If it was up to me, I wish the 1x extends even lower, but of all 3 shoulders mentioned, 1x seems to protect kidney best.

My experience in that regard: Add your own padding to the shoulder pad that fits you best, for the areas where you need it. You can see this with Sid #87 on Dana Heinzes twitter, or on pictures of Ovi's extended spine-guard on his pants. A speedy stitcher makes this less than 15 minutes of work while watching TV, and you can re-cycle some old gear (e.g. old shoulders, pants).