Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marka

A level minor leagues?

Howdy,

I'm not finding much on Google....

So what's the deal with pro leagues "under" the ECHL level?  A guy from up here is playing for the Las Vegas Cavalry, which apparently is in the MWHL.  They bill themselves as a stepping stone to European leagues and the ECHL.  And it seems like maybe there are others?  SPHL, FHL, LNAH?

Are these things pay to play, or are they legit deals where you make low $$$ but are legit shots at getting noticed if you can play?

Mark

Low $$$'s hoping desperately to get noticed but just not quite good enough or have that X factor that makes the difference. I know a few players in different leagues and they all have different skill levels, eg one trialed in a couple of Sharks camps but didn't get picked up and is now playing in the Fed league instead of giving the game away and still dreams of getting noticed.

If you’re just asking about the MWHL, IMO it’s high level beer league.  My opinion is generated related to the local team we have in the league.  Just guys that want to play check beer league and drop the mitts on occasion, without being thrown out for the season.  Not saying those guys don’t have big dreams, but if you’re paying to play in your 20’s, well....maybe they’ll make a movie about you someday...that guy, school teacher that had the knee that kept him from his Major Jr dream, started coaching the local kids....

We have a MWHL team here too. I’d agree with the above. To me it almost seemed like it’s guys who aren’t ready to give up on their dreams. 

Howdy,

Is the MWHL pay to play?  Or do the players get equipment / housing / some kinda salary?

Edit: and I was interested in the whole "Pro leagues under ECHL stature" stuff as a whole more than anything.  I hadn't heard about them before meeting our local guy that's now in Vegas.

Mark

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Is the MWHL pay to play?  Or do the players get equipment / housing / some kinda salary?

Edit: and I was interested in the whole "Pro leagues under ECHL stature" stuff as a whole more than anything.  I hadn't heard about them before meeting our local guy that's now in Vegas.

Mark

Not sure. I can ask a friend of mine who plays in the MWHL when I see him next.

On 1/1/2018 at 1:15 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

I'm not finding much on Google....

So what's the deal with pro leagues "under" the ECHL level?  A guy from up here is playing for the Las Vegas Cavalry, which apparently is in the MWHL.  They bill themselves as a stepping stone to European leagues and the ECHL.  And it seems like maybe there are others?  SPHL, FHL, LNAH?

Are these things pay to play, or are they legit deals where you make low $$$ but are legit shots at getting noticed if you can play?

Mark

Mark,  The ECHL,  was one rung under the AHL ,along with another organization I think it the IHL     The ECHL teams get a set amount of funds  for the team for the season and the coach or owner can break it up as needed.  Advice for anyone entering that level.  Negotiate beyond the money:  sticks, skates,housing,per diem  The money is not that much 700 week on averagefor the season. 

the Canadian structure I am not certain:  I think the are structured as junior clubs under the umbrella of the nhl ,This is used for young talent to develop and be under good coaching.  It' a way to develop a player in the organization quietly.  They get housing, food,skates,sticks,gear  ,they may get a stipend,  they are properly of an NHL team  .   I think there is minor pro teams in Canada too .         My self I had to make a quick choice, I was banned from high school hockey because of my size and speed, so all of the sudden I had no place to play . So I made a rash move . I should have gone to sweeden an played there. That would be my advice  to someone in a similar situation  . Go to sweeden pays more and the level of play is more pure .          Hope this helps. falling asleep  as I'm writing.           Happy New year  folks 

Those leagues are basically for guys who think they're still too good for beer leagues or want to fight and not get tossed from league after league.

Edit: Ok, just watched part of one of this league's games online and it isn't even what I described above. I'm pretty sure the beer league team I play on could not only compete but be near the top of the pack in this league. There are guys in this video who I don't think have played for more than a couple of seasons, at any level.

56 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Those leagues are basically for guys who think they're still too good for beer leagues or want to fight and not get tossed from league after league.

Edit: Ok, just watched part of one of this league's games online and it isn't even what I described above. I'm pretty sure the beer league team I play on could not only compete but be near the top of the pack in this league. There are guys in this video who I don't think have played for more than a couple of seasons, at any level.

Way..... back when the ECHL league the average age of the players were in late twenties to mid 30's . It was a very physical league. And I didn't get the impression they thought they were better;  I was under the impression that they were hanging on to the dream of getting called up .  It was very challenging ,hockey sense wise , pass to where someone should be and they aren't. So you find yourself Trying to do to much out there . Most were Trying hard but too slow not in shape.  Or didn't have the it .  My mission was to have a place to play and not get injured by a hack. 

Beer league and minor pro the difference is ones paying to play the other getting paid to play  .   

we have an SPHL team here in Peoria. It's Class A. Far better than the FHL but not on par with the ECHL of now. I have been watching hockey all my life and I'd put it at a level that the ECHL level was 20 years ago. We, in Peoria, have six players on call-up to the ECHL. So Basically, we are a feed to the E which then feeds the A. and so on. It's not an official farm system in any stretch. Great play? Eh. But it's good spunk and spirit. I like their effort more than the AHL Rivermen from a few y ears ago. At lease these guys bring it every night. They don't have the talent that the E and the A have on a night in, night out basis though. But the above average beer leaguer couldn't crack our roster on most nights. 

Andy in Peoria. 

On 1/2/2018 at 8:16 PM, Playmakersedge said:

Way..... back when the ECHL league the average age of the players were in late twenties to mid 30's . It was a very physical league. And I didn't get the impression they thought they were better;  I was under the impression that they were hanging on to the dream of getting called up .  It was very challenging ,hockey sense wise , pass to where someone should be and they aren't. So you find yourself Trying to do to much out there . Most were Trying hard but too slow not in shape.  Or didn't have the it .  My mission was to have a place to play and not get injured by a hack. 

Beer league and minor pro the difference is ones paying to play the other getting paid to play  .   

You do realize the OP was asking about leagues "below ECHL". Not sure what any of your statement has to do with my post, which was answering the questions above about the lesser leagues in general and MWHL specifically.

On 1/10/2018 at 2:21 PM, chippa13 said:

You do realize the OP was asking about leagues "below ECHL". Not sure what any of your statement has to do with my post, which was answering the questions above about the lesser leagues in general and MWHL specifically.

Nope, I miss read . Happens all the time.  I have really bad dyslexia  . I thought the question was to these leagues all get paid.  Sorry about that.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention chiwppa 

As far as I know, the only remaining, truly professional A level leagues would be the Sothern Professional Hockey League and the Federal Hockey League.  There used to be a Central Hockey League but it folded a few years back.