Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MSH Pro Shop closing from 8/26 til first week of September Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
tpedersen3118

Steel length and holder size

I’ve decided to go the customer route and order a pair of VH skates. I’ve historically worn a 8ee supreme with the 272 steel. Last summer I opted for Blacksteel and it is was by far the best decision I made as far as replacement steel goes. As such, I want to keep in that steel moving forward 

As far as my VH skates go, I am opting to just get the boots and add edge holders. When I was last in my LHS I hopped on the Bauer scan machine and it put me in a size 7.5. That said, the steel and holder are then a 263 vs the 272 that I have skated forever.

my question is this, will I notice it going to a 263 from a 272 steel with a half size smaller boot and (assuming VH puts me in a 7.5) could I still use a 272 holder / steel? What are any potential drawbacks / benefits of one size over the other in terms of feel or performance?

I believe Bauer uses 272mm on 7.5EE skates and 263mm on 263mm skates. You should be able to use 272mm holders on your True/VH skates. 

Here are a couple discussions about using longer steel: 

Edited by althoma1