Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

2017-18 Supplemental Discipline

Odd that there wasn’t a thread created for this yet, but I guess that’s a good thing.

Anyway, hopefully the league takes care of Marchand once again. 

Video, if anyone hasn't seen the hit yet: 

It isn't the most egregious hit we've seen, but given how many times Marchand has had to be reprimanded by the league, it wouldn't surprise me if he got the maximum fine.

I hate Marchand as much as the next person, but for once I'm going to defend him here. Don't think it was malicious, more-so him trying to avoid the goalie and unfortunately hitting Johansson in the process.

2 minutes ago, EBondo said:

I hate Marchand as much as the next person, but for once I'm going to defend him here. Don't think it was malicious, more-so him trying to avoid the goalie and unfortunately hitting Johansson in the process.

He could have easily done that without throwing his elbow out. 

• Like 1

I have no sympathy for someone as talented as Marchand and has a record of cheap shots and suspensions like him.  And considering Johansson is now out with a concussion, I kind of wish it was more than five.  There's no excuse for that.

4 hours ago, chippa13 said:

It was a reflex play, not like he hunted him across the sheet. Given the history I think 5 was definitely the upper limit for this.

If your reflex is to elbow somebody in the head, you should be sitting for a lot longer than 5 - ideally long enough that dirty plays aren’t your reflex anymore.

• Like 2

I was honestly kind of surprised to see five games at first, but with Marchand's history and the fact that Johansson was injured concussed on the play, it makes sense.

EDIT: Johansson was concussed earlier in the year as well, so wouldn't surprise me to see him out for most of the rest of the regular season, considering he's had a history of head injuries.

Edited by Jamarquan

10 hours ago, chippa13 said:

It was a reflex play, not like he hunted him across the sheet. Given the history I think 5 was definitely the upper limit for this.

Eh haha. We all skate. It is not a reflex to fall and stick elbow into your opponent's jaw when he/she isn't in the way. The dude is a dirty player who also happens to be talented. Call it what it is. One day that crap will catch up with him.

10 hours ago, chippa13 said:

I guess you can say it's a reflex play... for dirty players.

Edited by Larry54

He was cutting across the top of the crease, jumping to avoid the goalie and sees a Devil coming towards him as he is vulnerable. I can understand making a move to initiate rather than get potentially destroyed.

Putting an elbow into the guy's chops was definitely the wrong way to go and that was why he got the 5 gamer but I can see the side of being the hitter rather than the hittee in that scenario.

I think 5 games was getting off easy considering his past record. I don't think it was a reactionary move. To me a reactionary move would have been to just drop your shoulder and try to initiate the hit.

Yes. Either way if your worried about being the hitter or hittee, you don’t throw your elbow up. He knew what he was doing, just like his 94994 slew foots. 

19 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Kind of like Marchand. "It was an accident"...

I think you're assuming based on where I am from that I think the hit was OK or that the penalty was unjust. If so, you'd be wrong.

53 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I think you're assuming based on where I am from that I think the hit was OK or that the penalty was unjust. If so, you'd be wrong.

... Not at all! I was trying to be generally sarcastic, but I guess it did not click. I have no clue where you are from and even if I did, I would never stereotyped. It just not me.

The announcers said that it looked like he jumped to avoid contact. To me it looked like he jumped straight up. If you we trying to avoid contact you would try to jump to the side. I watched the replay multiple times. It looked like Gudas had plenty of space to skate around the Palmieri. IMHO Gudas is a predator and looks for the dirty play. Hopefully they suspend him for more than 3 games.