Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kgbeast

Russia has announced men hockey roster for 2018 Olympics

Few hours ago, Znarok, selected head-coach of the Russian team, has published the roster for 2018 Olympic games.The list consists of top players and goaltenders from KHL clubs.

(SKA) Shestyorkin (goal), Gavrikov, Zub, Zubarev, Khafizulin, Barabanov, Gusev, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Kablukov, Kalinin, Prokhorkin, Shipachyov, Shirokov

(CSKA) Sorokin (goal), Kiselevich, Marchenko, Nesterov, Andronov, Grigirenko, Kaprizov, Telegin

(Metalurg) Koshechkin (goal), Mozyakin

As you can see the list has few familiar names in it. Ilya Sorokin is the hottest goalie in KHL today, Shesterkin was the hottest last season, Koshechkin is not far behind. I guess it will be the last Olympic goal attempt for one of the hockey world favorites Pavel Datsyuk. I am very happy for the sport of hockey, that in the world proclaimed sport performance enhancement drugs Mecca of the world, the sport of hockey turned out to be pretty clean.

I am glad that they were able to put this together even though Russia as a nation is banned from the 2018 Olympics and will neither be allowed to feature its country's flag colors or play its national anthem in any of the ceremonies. The lines that Znarok can string from  this roster should be pretty competitive, dynamic, and fun to watch.   

I see some talented forwards on there that I recognize, but the only D I've heard of is Nesterov. I'm surprised Markov wasn't named to the team. 

The list I saw also included Voynov on defense. He was an up and coming defenseman with the Kings until some domestic violence charges came about.

1 hour ago, althoma1 said:

I see some talented forwards on there that I recognize, but the only D I've heard of is Nesterov. I'm surprised Markov wasn't named to the team. 

I think Markov is actually has Canadian citizenship. Not sure about Nesterov... maybe he is looking to get back to NHL this season...

3 hours ago, chippa13 said:

The list I saw also included Voynov on defense. He was an up and coming defenseman with the Kings until some domestic violence charges came about.

Yes, I remember Voynov. He's a solid D man if he's on the team. 

2 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

I think Markov is actually has Canadian citizenship. Not sure about Nesterov... maybe he is looking to get back to NHL this season...

Nesterov is on the roster list you posted. Markov has competed for Russia at International events in the past. 

This is from an article I just read on Bardown regarding the omission of Markov: 

"This was actually known for a couple days even though the final roster wasn’t out, because he wasn’t even submitted as an option for the team to select in their initial list to the IOC. It’s a rather bizarre decision because the 39-year-old can clearly still play. He has 31 points in 53 games this season, good for fifth in the KHL and more than any other Russian defenceman.

He has played in the last three Olympics for Russia as well, so in a year where they can’t even pull from the NHL talent pool, this decision will no doubt be looked back on if they fail to claim gold in the tournament."

I'm still a little hazy on how there is going to be a Russian team when Russia is banned from the Olympics.

"Your athletes can come and compete but we won't play your song or fly your flag."

57 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

I'm still a little hazy on how there is going to be a Russian team when Russia is banned from the Olympics.

"Your athletes can come and compete but we won't play your song or fly your flag."

Yes it is a bit weird, but it did happen before, just after USSR collapse. They have completed under Olympic flag with an Olympic song. The uniformas are red and white... No blue color to make sure flag colors are not recognizable.. more if a Canadian colors for them this year I guess.