Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tvguy

Quad Zero profile

Anyone have experience with this profile?  Current is a 10-11' combo with 1 degree fwd pitch.  I can't find specs for the Quad Zero on Prosharp's website.  What would the advantages be of switching?  How similar are they?  Would the pitch need to remain the same or be adjusted?  

Quad Zero is 6-9-11-13'.  I've been skating on it for a couple of months; actually quite surprised how I adapted to it so quickly from an 11'.  

I had tried a Zuperior L before that and absolutely hated that; felt way too long for me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Quad Zero is 6-9-11-13'.  I've been skating on it for a couple of months; actually quite surprised how I adapted to it so quickly from an 11'.  

I had tried a Zuperior L before that and absolutely hated that; felt way too long for me.

What felt different about the Quad Zero compared to the 11'?

I had a 9 radius on my old ls2, went with a quad zero and love it.  It really depends on preference but I like the tighter turning style.

The stock steel on my new skates were close to an 11 and I didn' it like it.  Went to a 9/10 and a quad 1, both were good also and very similar.  I could of played on them and I think this is a good place to start.  

If you'e asking about 11' compared to zero, not close at all.  You might be looking closer to a quad 2.

1 hour ago, BureKovy said:

I had a 9 radius on my old ls2, went with a quad zero and love it.  It really depends on preference but I like the tighter turning style.

The stock steel on my new skates were close to an 11 and I didn' it like it.  Went to a 9/10 and a quad 1, both were good also and very similar.  I could of played on them and I think this is a good place to start.  

If you'e asking about 11' compared to zero, not close at all.  You might be looking closer to a quad 2.

how would the zero compare to a 10/11' combo?

1 hour ago, BureKovy said:

Have to ask. Did you get the toe blended after the profile before sharpening? 

12 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Hey JR did you blend the toe from the begging of the 6 or leave it after the profile was done? 

I blended.  I didn't have to do much though.

1 hour ago, tvguy said:

how would the zero compare to a 10/11' combo?

Really depends on what you are looking for, why do you want to switch from a 10/11'?

Quads gives you the ability to make tighter turns but have stability in the middle and back end if the blade.

There is quad 0, 1 and 2.  Alot of guys go with quad 1, but I didn' notice much of a difference between that and 9/10'.  On the quad scale 0 would be better for turning, 2 would be for speed.  1 would be inbetween both.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BureKovy said:

Really depends on what you are looking for, why do you want to switch from a 10/11'?

Quads gives you the ability to make tighter turns but have stability in the middle and back end if the blade.

There is quad 0, 1 and 2.  Alot of guys go with quad 1, but I didn' notice much of a difference between that and 9/10'.  On the quad scale 0 would be better for turning, 2 would be for speed.  1 would be inbetween both.

The LHS has a new Prosharp for all their profiles. Not doing them on the Blademaster anymore.  My son has done very well on a 10-11' combo.  Comparatively he is one the the best skaters in his loop so I don't want to mess with it.  BUT they only have Quad profile jigs.  I don't mind changing for the better, but don't want to go the other way either.  Son is 12 so all feedback is **uh, i don't know***.  I'd like to keep the agility he has in the 10/11' without giving up any speed which is a big advantage for him.  Is the Quad zero the closest?  

6 hours ago, BureKovy said:

I only had it blended on quad 1, not on the quad 0.

For JR as well. 

98% of theQuads done around here have zero blending. With Zero blending done. And you are actually going from the factory 9  or 10 to the 2nd profile on the quad so you have actually had only 3 profiles, not 4.

Studies done up here on profiles showed that a profile change larger than 2 with no flat spot was not beneficial. Hence why if I was to get a Quad the .5 would be the one I would go with.

Also, it has the least amount of steel ground of the toe. 8 10 12 14.

My 2 cents on the quad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tvguy said:

The LHS has a new Prosharp for all their profiles. Not doing them on the Blademaster anymore.  My son has done very well on a 10-11' combo.  Comparatively he is one the the best skaters in his loop so I don't want to mess with it.  BUT they only have Quad profile jigs.  I don't mind changing for the better, but don't want to go the other way either.  Son is 12 so all feedback is **uh, i don't know***.  I'd like to keep the agility he has in the 10/11' without giving up any speed which is a big advantage for him.  Is the Quad zero the closest?  

Quad zero is the farthest away from what you want.  

Quad 2 is 7-10-13-16

Like I said I used 9/10 and it felt similar to quad 1.  Id go with quad 2 if he is using 10/11 right now.  They should also change it for free if you don' like it.

Maybe JR can weigh in or talk to the pro shop, they should be able to tell you.  Or just leave it.

Edited by BureKovy

Just for an update...  I was LS2 with a base 9ft rocker at 100/75.  I ordered STEP steel.  On JR's suggestion I went to a quad 0 and sharpened the at 100/50.  Got them today ad wet fora quick few laps at public session.  Played a game tonight and felt amazing.  Better cornering, more stable.  More glide.  A home run!!!  Very happy!!!  I had been worried about losing grip dropping to 100/50 but the increased amount of steel in contact with the ice negates any loss of grip.  

• Like 1

I went from a regular 9' to quad zero as well and love it. The thing I noticed was the forward pitch and the addee stability I got when skating backwards. Love it. 

Edited by Sniper9

I went from stock to a Quad 1. First 3 skates I felt like I was falling forward on my toes all the time, especially transitioning from skating backwards to forward where I actually fell a few times. Now I love it and won't go back, I feel much more agile in my turns and more stable in straight line. Stopping and starting as really felt quicker as well.

On 1/26/2018 at 9:21 AM, BureKovy said:

Great info, thanks for posting that! :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

On 26/01/2018 at 3:52 PM, tvguy said:

The Quad .5 is closet to what you have but most places dont have it. It's an 8 10 12 14. 

If I was to do Quads that would be my go to. Not a fan of the others at all. To much waisted blade if done properly. Most places do not blend them in the front.  

Pretty sure you could just order your own template as well and have them do that? 

Edited by oldtrainerguy28

Can anyone help me with this?  Basically, I have been playing for a long time now (28 years) but I have never messed with profiling, radiuses, etc.  I just always get my skates sharpened at 1/2 inch but I want to try quad zero at Zac911's (True rep) suggestion.  I am currently skating on a True boot with LS Edge/Step BlackSteel with a small shim to pitch me forward a bit.  Just wondering what the best option for me would be as far as a quad profile goes.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :12_slight_smile:

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Can anyone help me with this?  Basically, I have been playing for a long time now (28 years) but I have never messed with profiling, radiuses, etc.  I just always get my skates sharpened at 1/2 inch but I want to try quad zero at Zac911's (True rep) suggestion.  I am currently skating on a True boot with LS Edge/Step BlackSteel with a small shim to pitch me forward a bit.  Just wondering what the best option for me would be as far as a quad profile goes.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :12_slight_smile:

what is your skate profile now?  which steel?

I'm not sure what the stock radius is on STEP, the other guys will know better.  All I can tell you is that my transition from a 9" rocker to Quad Zero was seamless.  Might want to try the Quad1 from what I'm reading....