Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tvguy

Quad Zero profile

On 2/12/2018 at 4:50 PM, psulion22 said:

The most recent profile I had was 9' with a 60/35 CAG on it to get a little forward pitch and some speed from the flat.  I like the shorter 9' radius, but feel I'm losing a lot of speed and acceleration, and have to keep my edges super sharp to get good performance (not even the depth of hollow, but rather they always have to be fresh or I don't get good bite).  What's the best for that?  Quad 1?  I'm a defenseman that skates more in straight lines up the ice than weaving through guys, so speed and stability are important.  On No Icing's website, I'd probably be classified under their Quad 1.  But I don't know if thers is the same as the ProSharp ones.

Quad 2 for sure. Try 3/4" hollow.

11 minutes ago, Healthyscratch said:

Would a pro sharp home maintain the quad profile? The specs on the sharpener says it does but I’m skeptical. 

Anyone with a pro sharp who uses a quad? 

I use a quad done by a Pro Sharp machine

36 minutes ago, Healthyscratch said:

Would a pro sharp home maintain the quad profile? The specs on the sharpener says it does but I’m skeptical. 

Anyone with a pro sharp who uses a quad? 

Yes, it does. 

Wait a little bit.  I promise it’ll be worth it. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Doughnuts08 said:

I use a quad done by a Pro Sharp machine

Well, I’m wondering about the “home” model specifically. 

Not sure which one you use, for instance, I’m sure the 14k one that does the profiling will nicely maintain the profile lol 

Just now, Healthyscratch said:

Well, I’m wondering about the “home” model specifically. 

Not sure which one you use, for instance, I’m sure the 14k one that does the profiling will nicely maintain the profile lol 

Hmm, not sure about that one 

19 hours ago, BrianK said:

Quad 2 for sure. Try 3/4" hollow.

Thanks, I'm on Quad 1.  The agility and stability on the ice is outstanding, and far superior to the 9' with a Cag I had before.  But I feel like I'm missing speed and acceleration.  I'm still only 3-4 weeks into my return from a major knee injury that sidelined me for 6 months, so I'm still attributing it to that rather than the profile.  We'll see if it's still an issue in a few more weeks, and possibly move up to Q2.

Thread is a bit old but I just got Quad 0 on new steel in order to prolong my Supreme 7000's life until I get new skates.  I expected one of two things 1) I would fall and have trouble adjusting 2) I wouldn't notice much.  Neither.  As soon as I stepped on the ice I was solid.  I love the longer radius on the back of the blades!  And as soon as you take off you are on the shorter radius and good to go.  I think my old ones were radiused too short, but I can't remember what they were.  When I started to tire out the front of my shins would get fatigued.  Also, it always took 20 mins or so before the bottom of my feet would stop hurting, this has gone on for years.  I always thought this was boot related but it didn't happen the other day for the first time in 20 years.  Maybe my feet were fighting against the contour/pitch of my last profile.  Anyway, I wasn't expecting it to be this different and it was, in nothing by a positive way.

• Like 2

Picked up my steel with a fresh Quad 0 last night, skating on them tonight. I was fortunate enough to be in a position where I was able to meet with Shayne from Pro Sharp and demo a few different profiles. The Quad 0 was the one that felt the most natural to me and my skating style. Curious to see how it translates to a game setting.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, stick9 said:

Picked up my steel with a fresh Quad 0 last night, skating on them tonight. I was fortunate enough to be in a position where I was able to meet with Shayne from Pro Sharp and demo a few different profiles. The Quad 0 was the one that felt the most natural to me and my skating style. Curious to see how it translates to a game setting.

You need game first before it can translate 😉 

2 hours ago, Haggerty said:

You need game first before it can translate 😉 

Completely agree.

Adjustment to the profile was pretty easy. I really liked how I was transitioning front to back and easy it was getting in and out of turns. It was only one game, but it was definitely a positive experience. A marked improvement over my stock LS4 and Step.

Gonna have to give the quad 0 a try. I've been on the Quad2 for the last couple of years and thought it made a huge difference in my skating. As much I loved the quad 2 on my APX and 1x, it wasn't until I switched to True/VH skates that I really can feel that back 13/16' when I am skating. I don't mind it for the straight aways and gliding but I can feel that length a lot more in the Trues and to get going feels a little clunky. 

Looking for some advice from you experts:

I'm not a bad skater, but I like to think I skate well enough to know what I'm feeling and whether I like it or not.

On my previous skate (x:60) I skated on a 9' +1 profile. When I finally got around to replacing my skates this year, I decided to give the stock LS3 profile a shot but it felt like I was skating on skis. After reading up on some profile options I decided to give Quad 0 a shot. To my surprise, it felt pretty good initially but as I got more ice time on it I think I know what is bugging me about the profile. It currently feels like I'm on my heels, and I don't feel quite as agile as I felt on a simple 9'. I feel like I have to pick my feet off the ice a bit more instead of being able to pivot with the blade on the ice. 

My questions are following: 

1. With a Quad 0 are you able to add a "+1"-like adjustment? I skate on 254 runners and wasn't sure if moving the profile would be feasible. 

2. If 1. is possible, would that fix my issue with feeling like there's a bit too much blade on the ice? 

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, m3thods said:

I'm not a bad skater, but I like to think I skate well enough to know what I'm feeling and whether I like it or not.

On my previous skate (x:60) I skated on a 9' +1 profile. When I finally got around to replacing my skates this year, I decided to give the stock LS3 profile a shot but it felt like I was skating on skis. After reading up on some profile options I decided to give Quad 0 a shot. To my surprise, it felt pretty good initially but as I got more ice time on it I think I know what is bugging me about the profile. It currently feels like I'm on my heels, and I don't feel quite as agile as I felt on a simple 9'. I feel like I have to pick my feet off the ice a bit more instead of being able to pivot with the blade on the ice. 

1. With a Quad 0 are you able to add a "+1"-like adjustment? I skate on 254 runners and wasn't sure if moving the profile would be feasible. 

2. If 1. is possible, would that fix my issue with feeling like there's a bit too much blade on the ice? 

Thanks in advance!

You can move the counterpoint but I don't think that would help.  I won't put myself in the expert category by any means but I've spoken to those that are and what I hear repeated over and over is that you have to try a few different profiles and dial in what really works for you.  Stay tuned on MSH for the opportunity!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, m3thods said:

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can add that adjustment but I recommend first finding the profile that fits your skating style and then making changes to pitch or moving the balance point. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, m3thods said:

Thanks in advance!

The quad 0 is already pitched fwd close to 1.  I don't think pitching it more will satisfy you.  I would suggest going back to 9' +1 or try 10' +1( or +2) with 5/8 hollow. A third option is a 9/10 dual. 

You could also try heel inserts to get you on toes but the way I see it, you don't care for the profile. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, m3thods said:

Thanks in advance!

What is your new skate? That could be causing the problem instead of the profile. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psulion22 said:

What is your new skate? That could be causing the problem instead of the profile. 

Bauer Supreme 190 (not the S190, though they're almost identical). 

11 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Yes, you can add that adjustment but I recommend first finding the profile that fits your skating style and then making changes to pitch or moving the balance point. 

6 hours ago, BrianK said:

The quad 0 is already pitched fwd close to 1.  I don't think pitching it more will satisfy you.  I would suggest going back to 9' +1 or try 10' +1( or +2) with 5/8 hollow. A third option is a 9/10 dual. 

You could also try heel inserts to get you on toes but the way I see it, you don't care for the profile. 

Thanks guys for the input it's greatly appreciated! 

I chose Quad 0 because it was supposedly close to a 9' + 1 but it's possible I was skating on something less than that since I wasn't religiously profiling my x:60s. With that, I do love the increased stability and the cornering compared to my old profile. I just seem to be caught up on the pivots and forward/back transitions as I feel like I need to work/think harder about them.  It is only the second profile I've tried (other than stock blades), but I'm not sure I'm in the market to try multiple profiles due to cost and the fact I'm only on the ice about once a week for a lower-level league. I figured that there might be an easy fix to my annoyances, but it doesn't seem that way. The positives seem to outweigh the negatives going to Quad 0 from 9+1 so I'll stick with it and see if I can get used to it eventually.

6 minutes ago, m3thods said:

Bauer Supreme 190 (not the S190, though they're almost identical). 

Thanks guys for the input it's greatly appreciated! 

I chose Quad 0 because it was supposedly close to a 9' + 1 but it's possible I was skating on something less than that since I wasn't religiously profiling my x:60s. With that, I do love the increased stability and the cornering compared to my old profile. I just seem to be caught up on the pivots and forward/back transitions as I feel like I need to work/think harder about them.  It is only the second profile I've tried (other than stock blades), but I'm not sure I'm in the market to try multiple profiles due to cost and the fact I'm only on the ice about once a week for a lower-level league. I figured that there might be an easy fix to my annoyances, but it doesn't seem that way. The positives seem to outweigh the negatives going to Quad 0 from 9+1 so I'll stick with it and see if I can get used to it eventually.

I suspected this was the case.  Supreme skates (or possibly even the edge holder) have a neutral pitch to them.  Your Vapors had a more forward pitch.  So the backwards lean you're feeling is because of the pitch of the skate, not the profile.  The best way of fixing that is to have shims placed in the heel of your skate to give you a more forward lean.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

I suspected this was the case.  Supreme skates (or possibly even the edge holder) have a neutral pitch to them.  Your Vapors had a more forward pitch.  So the backwards lean you're feeling is because of the pitch of the skate, not the profile.  The best way of fixing that is to have shims placed in the heel of your skate to give you a more forward lean.

Wow I had no idea. I figured the new Edge holders were just taller/lighter than the Tuuks on my Vapors and that the boots between the two lines would just be identical in pitch because of that.

I've never had shims put in a skate before, but I'm thinking I'd go with that instead of messing more with steel for now. Naturally I have a few questions:

1. How thick of a shim would you suggest? Right now I feel more on my heels, so something that puts me closer to a "+1" would be great

2. How much should they cost? (I trust my LHS, but since I've never done this before I'm just looking to see if what they charge is in the right ballpark)

3. How does the pitch of the skate affect the profile? Does having the shims in make it seem like my entire foot is being tilted forward but the profile is left mainly intact? Or does one's profile need to be adjusted along with the pitch to get the current feeling. 

Thanks for being patient with the questions. As you can tell, I'm not that committed to finding the absolute perfect skate setup, but anything that gets me closer to that ideal situation would make my skates that much more enjoyable since I do like a lot of things about the new boot/profile. The things I'm not liking are minor annoyances, and nothing I'd replace the skates with new ones for.