Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tvguy

Quad Zero profile

If I'm correct the Blademaster sharpener uses bars that are pre-set with the specific radius at a specific transition location on the skate?  If that's the case and Blademaster's own website says that certain patterns are for certain skate sizes I would think using a pattern on a different skate size would alter the transition points for each zone.  I'm banking on the manufacturer to have done their homework and know what is optimal.  If I am off in my understanding of the use of "bars" please let me know.

Thx

7 hours ago, Cbass93 said:

If I'm correct the Blademaster sharpener uses bars that are pre-set with the specific radius at a specific transition location on the skate?  If that's the case and Blademaster's own website says that certain patterns are for certain skate sizes I would think using a pattern on a different skate size would alter the transition points for each zone.  I'm banking on the manufacturer to have done their homework and know what is optimal.  If I am off in my understanding of the use of "bars" please let me know.

Thx

Both systems use bars.  You find the center point of the steel you're putting the profile on.  So when the profile is applied, both points match.

A larger radius provides stability.  A shorter radius provides maneuverability.  You're looking for the optimal setting to you and your skating style.

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Both systems use bars.  You find the center point of the steel you're putting the profile on.  So when the profile is applied, both points match.

A larger radius provides stability.  A shorter radius provides maneuverability.  You're looking for the optimal setting to you and your skating style.

So then the center point and the places where the transitions start are based on a designated length.  Therefore the patterns are size specific.  If you could use the same pattern on any size skate there would have to be adjustments at every transition, otherwise your losing the toe and heel.  Think of a Quad Zero on a youth size skate, simply wouldn't work.

There are limitations, yes.  A Q0 becomes usable at 230mm.

The zone that is profiled starts about 2-3" in from the toe and 2" in from the heel - roughly 65% of the overall runner.  That's what is referred to as the working radius - you then blend the transition into the heel and toe by hand.  If the radius spills out beyond that, then it's not effective.  But to say that you can only use certain radii on certain sizing is not telling the whole story there.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:44 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

There are limitations, yes.  A Q0 becomes usable at 230mm.

The zone that is profiled starts about 2-3" in from the toe and 2" in from the heel - roughly 65% of the overall runner.  That's what is referred to as the working radius - you then blend the transition into the heel and toe by hand.  If the radius spills out beyond that, then it's not effective.  But to say that you can only use certain radii on certain sizing is not telling the whole story there.

So here is my question.  Regardless of system are we trying to make a profile fit the skate and skater?  Or should we be trying to find a profile to best suits the player, size height weight arena they play in skating style?

I'm going for option 2. 

On 5/14/2019 at 6:11 PM, Cbass93 said:

So then the center point and the places where the transitions start are based on a designated length.  Therefore the patterns are size specific.  If you could use the same pattern on any size skate there would have to be adjustments at every transition, otherwise your losing the toe and heel.  Think of a Quad Zero on a youth size skate, simply wouldn't 

Fuck me here in the UK you goto the shop and they still ask if you're on a half inch hollow. Not me though 7/16ths

I'd like to try some of these profiles, but we simply don't have the facilities to do it. I'd assume all our players in the current IIHF Championships are on traditional hollows.

• Like 1