Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
GoalForFun

Super Tacks AS1 Skates

Now that the preview video from Chase is out, what are everyone’s thoughts?

I for one am interested in learning more about this custom boot program from CCM. Though this is for a team account, it says they’ll send a rep out with a 3D scanner. Does this mean the boot will fit your foot better now?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

That's a nice skate.  If they offer custom boots at the base retail level, I could see this being a strong competitor with True VH.  I wonder why Bauer has not gone the one piece boot route?

Because Bauer believes that they've had success with their current iteration.  It was a question that was posed to them a few months back and they have their reasons as to why they make their skates the way they do.

7 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

.... I wonder why Bauer has not gone the one piece boot route?

There are arguments against the single piece boot. Mostly it comes to that in a single piece, you obviously use the same material for all the areas of the skate, while, according to some, optimal skate should feature various levels of stiffness in various areas. You can do some digging on the internet for more details. Lots of apparent hot air from both sides though and no real evidence for or against. Perhaps staying with multipiece boot for Bauer also makes an economical sense.

• Like 1

Noting first that in theory, I do like the idea of a OPB(oot). But, having said that. Nothing about that skate seems like much of an upgrade over the previous version. And, is it just me, or are all MFG's failing at the top of the skate ankle edge pad?

1 hour ago, All Flash said:

And, is it just me, or are all MFG's failing at the top of the skate ankle edge pad?

I find them to do just what they're intended to do.  What is it that you would like to see?

On 27/01/2018 at 4:42 PM, markush said:

Are there further runner options available? 

There is but i guess there not ready to release them. To bad because its an awesome system great steel and all around top holder runner combo. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

There is but i guess there not ready to release them. To bad because its an awesome system great steel and all around top holder runner combo. 

Hence why I said that the SB4.0/Black combo is the retail setup.

14 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Nice timing: IW just put out a new vid! Nice job Chase! Not sure if there are other, unreleased ones in the wings though.

Edited by GoalForFun
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

Nice timing: IW just put out a new vid! Nice job Chase! Not sure if there are other, unreleased ones in the wings though.

I'm guessing that there are more things coming because of these are already out.

14 hours ago, goalieman39 said:

I'm guessing that there are more things coming because of these are already out.

As stated, the current holders/steel on the market is what is coming on the AS1 retail skate for 2018.

You may see a new holder/steel setup in the future, but it won't be on a 2018 skate.

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

As stated, the current holders/steel on the market is what is coming on the AS1 retail skate for 2018.

You may see a new holder/steel setup in the future, but it won't be on a 2018 skate.

Interesting.  Can't wait to see what the future holds

On 1/28/2018 at 1:22 AM, Kgbeast said:

There are arguments against the single piece boot. Mostly it comes to that in a single piece, you obviously use the same material for all the areas of the skate, while, according to some, optimal skate should feature various levels of stiffness in various areas. You can do some digging on the internet for more details. Lots of apparent hot air from both sides though and no real evidence for or against. Perhaps staying with multipiece boot for Bauer also makes an economical sense.

Are these mutually exclusive though? Aren't there ways to achieve variable stiffness using one material taking different layup approaches? Just look at graphite shafts and all the various flex profiles they have.

2 hours ago, flip12 said:

Are these mutually exclusive though? Aren't there ways to achieve variable stiffness using one material taking different layup approaches? Just look at graphite shafts and all the various flex profiles they have.

This is the argument I have seeing around, not sure how that is limiting. Perhaps doing different layup is not feasible in skate manufacturing especially if there is no clear benefit.

22 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

This is the argument I have seeing around, not sure how that is limiting. Perhaps doing different layup is not feasible in skate manufacturing especially if there is no clear benefit.

I was just reading about layup for variable stiffness in speed skates here: https://www.materialstoday.com/composite-processing/features/cutting-it-clever/

Granted, it talks about using different materials to achieve targeted effects for specific zones: more or less overall rigidity, thermoplasticity, etc.

On another blog, I read about how VH is known for being on the soft end of the speed skate spectrum, closer to Viking than a lot of the other top manufacturers, which is supposed to be ideal for feeling the ice, but less ideal for energy conservation (remembering our discussion earlier about stiffness in holders with respect to energy conservation). I'm not sure how that applies to hockey skates today, but it's interesting to see the same struggle to find the proper balance on a different ice sheet.

2 hours ago, flip12 said:

I was just reading about layup for variable stiffness in speed skates here: https://www.materialstoday.com/composite-processing/features/cutting-it-clever/

Granted, it talks about using different materials to achieve targeted effects for specific zones: more or less overall rigidity, thermoplasticity, etc.

On another blog, I read about how VH is known for being on the soft end of the speed skate spectrum, closer to Viking than a lot of the other top manufacturers, which is supposed to be ideal for feeling the ice, but less ideal for energy conservation (remembering our discussion earlier about stiffness in holders with respect to energy conservation). I'm not sure how that applies to hockey skates today, but it's interesting to see the same struggle to find the proper balance on a different ice sheet.

I think the balance would be rather similar between short track speed skating and hockey.

• Like 1

If the liner and moldability is remotely close to the Mako or VH then CCM may very well have a winner on their hands. I'm hoping to get to try them on soon. 

On 30.1.2018 at 7:07 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

24vs50w.jpg

e8a1ye.jpg

• Like 2