Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
GoalForFun

Super Tacks AS1 Skates

Asked about full custom CCM skates today at LHS, was told CCM will not send boots only to have any holder mounted, instead requiring their holder.  Is there truth to this statement?

I asked my LHS the same thing, they said CCM would only send the boot with the ccm holder. The AS1 pro customs do have me weighing my options on my next pair of skates....

1 hour ago, cbhockey22 said:

Asked about full custom CCM skates today at LHS, was told CCM will not send boots only to have any holder mounted, instead requiring their holder.  Is there truth to this statement?

I was told the same by my LHS...

5 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

Is the base price the same regardless of model? Or is the 70k still cheaper?

The 70k is a little cheaper

14 hours ago, Jason said:

That isn't really the case with Bauer customs I don't think. It seemed like they were able to make any skate in any width. If they can make an FT1 in the same stiffness as the AS1's then I would likely go that route.

You can still get any of the skates in diff widths, but the skate design will play into the fit also. A Jetspeed D width will be a narrower fit than a Tacks D width

8 hours ago, Doughnuts08 said:

The 70k is a little cheaper

You can still get any of the skates in diff widths, but the skate design will play into the fit also. A Jetspeed D width will be a narrower fit than a Tacks D width

That's not how it works with Bauer though. Their custom skates are built with standard widths. A Vapor D should be the same as a Supreme D. The shape of the boot will be different, but the width shouldn't be.

Hmm - this still confuses me. Have been using a 7,5EE SuperTacks which already fits great. Now 3D Scan for full custom of AS1 shows 8. Rep said he will add a notice. Thought the 3D Scan would perfectly match the size / fit. So why add manuelly Infos like size, toe cap width etc?

It most likely means you are marginal in one or more measurements for the 7.5EE so it will always recommend the next size up, this is just how the software works.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:05 AM, chippa13 said:

Narrow and low volume? I think you're skipping the one CCM that should fit the bill for you with the 70K.

I am not a fan of the design. I love the one piece construction of the FT1 and AS1. I came from custom Bauer Supremes and only made the switch because I loved the new tech in those two skates. I'd rather stay in a one piece boot.

I think you've got something confused with your fit profile. I don't think anyone would describe the Supreme as narrow and low volume but that is what you say you are looking for.

BTW Was skating / playing 2 hours in AS1 and the difference to Super Tacks is surprisingly big! This is the very best skate I have been using. And I tried many top of the line skates of various brands in recent years. 

@markush what would you say are the noticeable differences from the SuperTacks to the AS1 that you've noticed?  You said surprisingly big difference -- in what way?  Thanks!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chippa13 said:

I think you've got something confused with your fit profile. I don't think anyone would describe the Supreme as narrow and low volume but that is what you say you are looking for.

I'm well aware of my fit profile. I just felt like the supreme gave me the best heel lock and with Bauers ability to make my skates in a B/AAA combined with a thick tongue, it turned out to be a very good fit. I've done many pairs of custom skates now and I've learned from my mistakes.

Got it. My brother always had to special order because he was a size 11 with very narrow feet. I'm not sure how he didn't fall over sideways more often.

On 21.5.2018 at 9:48 PM, tcraig said:

@markush what would you say are the noticeable differences from the SuperTacks to the AS1 that you've noticed?  You said surprisingly big difference -- in what way?  Thanks!

Right away improved agility. More lightweight - thus acceleration and every stop & go felt easier. Wondered if there is a difference in blade / runners as stability, control as well as quick moves felt so natural and seemless with even much less effort than before. 

On 5/22/2018 at 9:14 AM, chippa13 said:

Got it. My brother always had to special order because he was a size 11 with very narrow feet. I'm not sure how he didn't fall over sideways more often.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if I'm at a disadvantage for having narrower feet. I get around the ice quite well though. Thanks in part to awesome custom skates.

Interested in hearing feedback too as well as people’s experience with the whole fitting process. 

If I wanted to go the full custom route could anyone recommend the best person/shop to do the job? 

To me, it seems like if you're going to drop $800+ on a pair of skates, just based on my experiences with getting fitted for skates, I would go with True. I've been fitted for True, Bauer, and CCM using all of their gadgets and I found the Bauer and CCM scanners suspect. The Bauer 3D scanner recommended to me size 11EE Vapor but my toes touch the end of my boot and I had to have my skates stretched to be widened in my 12EE Nexus skates and I know others who have had goofy readings. The guy at the shop suspected that it wanted me in Vapors due to my relatively flat left foot even if the Vapor's are way too narrow for me and perhaps that because I probably could wear a size 11 skate on my right foot since it's smaller; I couldn't even get my foot in a 12EE Supreme when I tried them so Vapors were out of the question.

I got the CCM scan, too to see what my options where with them for a custom skate as if I'm having trouble with 12EE Nexus skates for width and volume, then there isn't anything that CCM makes off-the-shelf that would work for me. Much to my suprise, their 3D scan recommended size 11EE Tacks. On top of the fact that a fully custom AS1 is $1200+ and there is no option for a boot-only order, I don't trust CCM's scan results to invest in in getting a pair of their custom skates.

I found that the True fitting process was far more thorough than Bauer or CCM's where they would ask for height, weight, photos of your feet where they can circle and pinpoint areas right in the app of where you may have hotspots and also take photos and scans of your feet while forward flexing along with taking photos while in a Bradock-like device to make sure that they can see how big my feet actually are in scaled photos in case their scanning software does silly things like the other two companies. I also like the fact that I can get the boot only if I want and they will predrill them to whatever holder type and size you decide to go with. So, I can spend $840 on the boots, $70 on a pair of Lightspeed Edges and then Stepsteel Black, which I forget what I paid for those. Either way, still less than the custom AS1.

This post wasn't made to be a True homer or be anti-Bauer or CCM like some other threads turn into. This is just my assessment based on my personal experience and my situation with my weird, giant feet. I don't think that 95% of beer league players need to go the custom route or really need skates that cost as much as a mortgage payment but for those of us that have to go that route, the True option was the best for me. I would rather go with Bauer or CCM since the closest True dealer to me is a six hour drive and I'd like to support the LHS in my neck of the woods and they're more established brands but I don't want to get stuck with skates that don't fit me.

Edited by CigarScott
fixed late night grammar mistakes

6 hours ago, CigarScott said:

To me, it seems like if you're going to drop $800+ on a pair of skates, I would go with True. I've been fitted for True, Bauer, and CCM using all of their gadgets and I found the Bauer and CCM scanners suspect. The Bauer 3D scanner recommended to me size 11EE Vapor but my toes touch the end of my boot and I had to have my skates stretched to be widened in my 12EE Nexus skates and I know others who have had goofy readings. The guy at the shop suspected that it wanted my in Vapors due to my relatively flat left foot even if the Vapor's are way too narrow for me and perhaps that because I probably could wear a size 11 skate on my right foot since it's smaller; I couldn't even get my foot in a 12EE Supreme when I tried them.

I got the CCM scan, too to see what my options where with them for a custom skate as if I'm having trouble with 12EE Nexus skates for width and volume, then there isn't anything that CCM makes off-the-shelf that would work for me. Much to my suprise, their 3D scan recommended size 11EE Tacks. On top of the fact that a fully custom AS1 is $1200+ and there is no option for a boot-only order, I don't trust CCM's scan results to invest in in getting a pair of their custom skates.

I found that the True fitting process was far more thorough than Bauer or CCM's where they would ask for height, weight, photos of your feet where they can circle and pinpoint areas right in the app of where you may have hotspots and also take photos and scans of your feet while forward flexing along with taking photos while in a Bradock-like device to make sure that they can see how big my feet actually are in scaled photos in case their scanning software does silly things like the other two companies. I also like the fact that I can get the boot only if I want and they will predrill them to whatever holder type and size you decide to go with. So, I can spend $840 on the boots, $70 on a pair of Lightspeed Edges and then Stepsteel Black, which I forget what I paid for those. Either way, still less than the custom AS1.

Where did you get scanned? Here in Alabama?

1 hour ago, jpeaslee said:

Where did you get scanned? Here in Alabama?

Oh no, neither shop in state has the equipment and I sure as hell wouldn't trust the folks at my LHS to do it correctly. I got the Bauer and CCM done in Atlanta and True done in Dallas.

scanning your feet isnt designed to be the end all be all, it's a tool that good shop employees will use as an aid in the fitting process. Though the results are not always accurate as was the case here I dont think that holds any weight in Bauer and CCM's custom options.

If I'm talking to a customer about skates their size and weight is always brought up, same with frequency of use. Some custom options I find to be more durable than others especially for the bigger guys who are hard on them.

So, I ordered a pair of custom AS1s using the total custom option that included a scan and all of the custom options. It turns out that it isn't the be all, end all. The skates came in. I had them heat moulded just to be sure, but the fit is not even as good as my current custom FT1s. I asked the pro rep that fit me if we should reference my last pair because they fit very well. He assured me that with the scan it wouldn't be necessary. However, he also mentioned that one of the pros he fit asked to be scanned again because he wasn't happy with the fit. Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed. I am currently waiting to hear back from the rep about what they can do for me. My suggestion to anyone getting fit is to base your specs on how the retail boots fit and use the scan as a secondary aid.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

So, I ordered a pair of custom AS1s using the total custom option that included a scan and all of the custom options. It turns out that it isn't the be all, end all. The skates came in. I had them heat moulded just to be sure, but the fit is not even as good as my current custom FT1s. I asked the pro rep that fit me if we should reference my last pair because they fit very well. He assured me that with the scan it wouldn't be necessary. However, he also mentioned that one of the pros he fit asked to be scanned again because he wasn't happy with the fit. Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed. I am currently waiting to hear back from the rep about what they can do for me. My suggestion to anyone getting fit is to base your specs on how the retail boots fit and use the scan as a secondary aid.

This is absolutely the way everyone should be approaching custom skates. The scanning and software help but at the end of the day we all have specifics things we are accustomed to or prefer and software cannot take those things into consideration.

I prefer to capture as much information as possible to provide when placing custom orders for skates. Information like the current skate model, size, and other specifications are imperative IMO and should never be overlooked. 

Ive seen too many people come in disappointed with custom skates, selling then for 70% loss and buying another pair of retail skates.

I still submit tracing of people feet or use a glass scanner to scanner, if they are local, to capture their feet outline in addition to providing measurements and such.