Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
GoalForFun

Super Tacks AS1 Skates

8 hours ago, Jason said:

So, I ordered a pair of custom AS1s using the total custom option that included a scan and all of the custom options. It turns out that it isn't the be all, end all. The skates came in. I had them heat moulded just to be sure, but the fit is not even as good as my current custom FT1s. I asked the pro rep that fit me if we should reference my last pair because they fit very well. He assured me that with the scan it wouldn't be necessary. However, he also mentioned that one of the pros he fit asked to be scanned again because he wasn't happy with the fit. Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed. I am currently waiting to hear back from the rep about what they can do for me. My suggestion to anyone getting fit is to base your specs on how the retail boots fit and use the scan as a secondary aid.

Why did you go from FT1 to AS1?

3 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Why did you go from FT1 to AS1?

Because I really liked the way the retail boot was cut slightly higher, had a perfect stiffness and what I thought was better forward flex. The pro rep who scanned me assured me that the fit would be as good as it gets. He was wrong. In hindsight, I should have gone with an increased stiffness FT1.

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

Because I really liked the way the retail boot was cut slightly higher, had a perfect stiffness and what I thought was better forward flex. The pro rep who scanned me assured me that the fit would be as good as it gets. He was wrong. In hindsight, I should have gone with an increased stiffness FT1.

I am not sure why manufacturers are going back towards high cut boot when a majority of players are dropping the top 1/2 eyelets in many of the current boots which are not as tall. Seems counterintuitive. Though, if they built flex points into the boot height shouldn't matter in theory. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

I am not sure why manufacturers are going back towards high cut boot when a majority of players are dropping the top 1/2 eyelets in many of the current boots which are not as tall. Seems counterintuitive. Though, if they built flex points into the boot height shouldn't matter in theory. 

Same. I had to drop the top eyelet on my FT1s coming from Makos.

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

I wouldn't say it's a majority. According to the the pro rep that fit me, CCM increased the boot height of the super tacks due to pro feedback in order to get a better wrap around the ankle. They seem to have better forward flex despite being stiffer than my FT1s.

Just placed an order tonight on IW for new AS1s. Can’t wait to get them. Yesterday I drove to Hockey World to try them on, but they were completely sold out! Oh well, I took my own meausurements and after looking at CCMs sizing guide, I went with a size 9.5D. If they don’t fit, IW has free return shipping, as long as your a member, and return within 7 days without skating or baking them. CCM and IW also offer a 365 day money back satisfaction guarantee if not completely satisfied after skating on them. Can’t go wrong.

I plan on using CCM SB holders and runners and maybe switch in the near future to the Tuuk holders. If I were to switch to the Tuuk holders and runners, what is the preferred holder/runner model and what size would I need for this skate?

3 hours ago, GaryM said:

Just placed an order tonight on IW for new AS1s. Can’t wait to get them. Yesterday I drove to Hockey World to try them on, but they were completely sold out! Oh well, I took my own meausurements and after looking at CCMs sizing guide, I went with a size 9.5D. If they don’t fit, IW has free return shipping, as long as your a member, and return within 7 days without skating or baking them. CCM and IW also offer a 365 day money back satisfaction guarantee if not completely satisfied after skating on them. Can’t go wrong.

I plan on using CCM SB holders and runners and maybe switch in the near future to the Tuuk holders. If I were to switch to the Tuuk holders and runners, what is the preferred holder/runner model and what size would I need for this skate?

Actually, If after 7 days, you may still return, but shipping would then become your responsibility. IW allows 365 days from time of purchase to return items in NEW condition. The CCM satisfaction guarantee is only 90 days 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GaryM said:

You'll replace what is on the skate.  Most likely a 280 mm.

• Like 1

Skates arrived today from IW. Are they ever nice! And they fit like a glove. Been at this 50+ years and these are the most comfortable out-of-the-box skates I’ve ever seen. I’m sure they will feel even better once I get them baked. Will have them profiled also before the inaugural skate. Btw, I came out of a Bauer Vapor X100 size 9D. Ordered a 9.5D in the AS1 and glad I did. Maybe it’s jst me, but I feel the CCM length (9.5) is identical to the Bauer 9. Just in case others are ordering online and don’t have a LHS to try them on first.

Baked, profiled 9/10 +3 pitch, sharpened 5/8” first skate tonight. Felt like I’ve worn them for years. Very comfortable and not too stiff. Love the tongue. Skated with top eyelet unlaced. I really like them.

On 8/10/2018 at 1:29 PM, GaryM said:

Skates arrived today from IW. Are they ever nice! And they fit like a glove. Been at this 50+ years and these are the most comfortable out-of-the-box skates I’ve ever seen. I’m sure they will feel even better once I get them baked. Will have them profiled also before the inaugural skate. Btw, I came out of a Bauer Vapor X100 size 9D. Ordered a 9.5D in the AS1 and glad I did. Maybe it’s jst me, but I feel the CCM length (9.5) is identical to the Bauer 9. Just in case others are ordering online and don’t have a LHS to try them on first.

I wear a 7.0 EE in Bauer and a 7.5 EE in CCM. What is interesting is the newest Bauer skates I also wear a 7.5, so it seems like anything pre-2018 from either company I wear a half size smaller.

What was the most unexpected is I wear an 8.0 in the Nexus 2 skates. 

• Like 1

https://imgur.com/a/RF5CpMf

Decided to pull the trigger on these since CCM is offering the 90 day return. I’m coming off MX3s in 10EE and I got these in 10EE as well. I can tell they are slightly smaller than my MX3s.

10 hours in (officiating) and I like most everything about them aside from the lace bite. I’ve never experienced lace bite in my life and throughout the course of a three games set last night, I must have tried 6 different lacing patterns to no avail. Other than that, the heel lock is incredible and the skate is unbelievably light and responsive. 

I’ll see how they work throughout september before deciding between CCM total custom or True.

How one brand fits compared to another is somewhat subjective.  I'm a 6EE in 1S and fit the same (6EE) in AS1's.  Right now I'm on the fence as to whether I'm going to go 2S Pro or AS1.  The $50 difference is a wash to me since I'd swap out the SB holders for LS Edge.

I don't think it's subjective. My MX3's and one100's in a 6D fit perfectly for length with laces out, heel jammed into the pocket, toes not quite brushing the toe cap. AS1's in a 6D have my toes more than brushing the toe cap, I would need to be in a 6.5 to get the same fit for length.

Yes, subjective to the end user.  When I went from MX3's to 1S I had to drop a half-size to achieve the same fit. Results may differ from me to you and others.  No one is right and no one is wrong here, depends on the individual and how a skate fits to them.

• Like 2

It’s also really hard to compare a new pair of skates to your old ones- the ankle pads usually compress and your foot sits back further than when initially purchased. 

On 7/30/2018 at 11:02 AM, Jason said:

Why do you feel you need a stiffer skate? What level of hockey are you playing? The FT1 and AS1 are both VERY stiff skates. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Why do you feel you need a stiffer skate? What level of hockey are you playing? The FT1 and AS1 are both VERY stiff skates. 

I play about the highest level of rec hockey out there. I like a pretty stiff skate. I wouldn't want to go any stiffer than the AS1s. I still find that they flex forward quite well. I'm actually a lot happier with the skates now after as second heat mould and a few weeks in them. I still think they missed the target slightly with the right skate, but I think they are somewhat limited because of the shell sizes. My right foot is a little longer, but slightly narrower, so they might have to use the next size up. I had a similar issue with my Bauers.

23 hours ago, Jason said:

I play about the highest level of rec hockey out there. I like a pretty stiff skate. I wouldn't want to go any stiffer than the AS1s. I still find that they flex forward quite well. I'm actually a lot happier with the skates now after as second heat mould and a few weeks in them. I still think they missed the target slightly with the right skate, but I think they are somewhat limited because of the shell sizes. My right foot is a little longer, but slightly narrower, so they might have to use the next size up. I had a similar issue with my Bauers.

If I paid that cost, the skates had better fit 100% perfect. My AS1 and FT1 were both purchased under CCM EPP so I was more open-minded. 

15 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

If I paid that cost, the skates had better fit 100% perfect. My AS1 and FT1 were both purchased under CCM EPP so I was more open-minded. 

I don't remember mentioning what I paid. Perfect is probably unachievable at this point with the current technology that Bauer and CCM have. True would be the best bet for a perfect fit I'm thinking, but I don't have personal experience with them yet.

Edited by Jason

Could be that both CCM and Bauer have more high tech tools than True does.  Also both of them have been doing custom skates for longer so have more experience. 

1 hour ago, mojo122 said:

Could be that both CCM and Bauer have more high tech tools than True does.  Also both of them have been doing custom skates for longer so have more experience. 

Yes, Bauer and CCM have been making skates for almost a century. VH/True is new and SVH was literally making skates in his basement three years ago so I give them a pass. I got my skates from the yesterday and there are some things on them that look kind of crappy but if they hold up and I no longer have foot pain then I'll live with them.

42 minutes ago, CigarScott said:

Yes, Bauer and CCM have been making skates for almost a century. VH/True is new and SVH was literally making skates in his basement three years ago so I give them a pass. I got my skates from the yesterday and there are some things on them that look kind of crappy but if they hold up and I no longer have foot pain then I'll live with them.

What on them looked bad? Purely cosmetic?