Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
GoalForFun

Super Tacks AS1 Skates

7 hours ago, jared9356 said:

What on them looked bad? Purely cosmetic? 

It appears that it's only cosmetic.

https://imgur.com/a/Mas94b8

https://imgur.com/a/PVpyruF

I'll give a full report once I figure out how to get them just right for me. I had to remove the red footbeds, the rubber toe caps inside the skate, adjust the tongues, and rebake them this evening after I tried them out at stick & puck tonight.

I had a set of the AS1's and they were pretty awesome! I think they have a bit of a different feel at first because of the slightly higher boot and of course the stiffness that comes with the one piece construction. Fast, responsive and comfortable all come to mind. I think if you have the right foot profile for them you will be more than happy with your purchase.

Edited by JC225

Just heat moulded my as1s. Coming offf true skates there's really no comparison as they are both very different skates. The as1 are very comfy but again I've been spoiled by the comfort of the trues.

The right skate on the as1 had some discomfort near the medial instep Area similar to lacebite. This was just from walking around.  Hopefully this issue goes away or isn't apparent while skating. Not sure why it's happening as I've never had lacebite issues before. 

Interested to see how they feel on the ice. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

I might have missed it somewhere, but are the total customs made in Canada?

I'm in Nexus n9000s now as they're the only skate I've found that had enough volume, but the rest of the fit isn't great.  My left foot is wider than the right and had to stretch that boot but it's still not great.  I've got high arches and really wide toes (they're also cartoon like, biggest toe is the longest, and they get shorter from there).  On boots or shoes, there's always a spot where my big toe pushes out on the inside edge of the toe of the shoe and stretches it out and I've got wicked calluses on that part of my toe.  

I really don't want to drop over a grand for a pair of skates, but it seems like that might be a good route to go.  Then I also have to figure out which line to go with.  Trying some on, the 70Ks felt the best, but I way failed the volume test.  The AS1's did ok, came closer to passing volume but wasn't quite as comfortable overall.  

I was told my the closest 3D scanner shop (still 4 hours away) that the XS holders aren't available until this summer.  Anyone else hearing the same thing?  I'm debating whether I want to go ahead and do this, or if I should wait till this summer.  I'm assuming that's when the FT2 and "90k" (or whatever it'll be called ) will be launched?

In the for what it's worth category, I'm also a big dude, 6'2" 260lbs, low level d2, high d3 skater, usually skate 3 times a week.  

Any thoughts?

Edited by jpeaslee

1 hour ago, jpeaslee said:

I might have missed it somewhere, but are the total customs made in Canada?

I'm in Nexus n9000s now as they're the only skate I've found that had enough volume, but the rest of the fit isn't great.  My left foot is wider than the right and had to stretch that boot but it's still not great.  I've got high arches and really wide toes (they're also cartoon like, biggest toe is the longest, and they get shorter from there).  On boots or shoes, there's always a spot where my big toe pushes out on the inside edge of the toe of the shoe and stretches it out and I've got wicked calluses on that part of my toe.  

I really don't want to drop over a grand for a pair of skates, but it seems like that might be a good route to go.  Then I also have to figure out which line to go with.  Trying some on, the 70Ks felt the best, but I way failed the volume test.  The AS1's did ok, came closer to passing volume but wasn't quite as comfortable overall.  

I was told my the closest 3D scanner shop (still 4 hours away) that the XS holders aren't available until this summer.  Anyone else hearing the same thing?  I'm debating whether I want to go ahead and do this, or if I should wait till this summer.  I'm assuming that's when the FT2 and "90k" (or whatever it'll be called ) will be launched?

In the for what it's worth category, I'm also a big dude, 6'2" 260lbs, low level d2, high d3 skater, usually skate 3 times a week.  

Any thoughts?

1. Yes, Made at the St Jean factory

2. An oversize toecap is available and may alleviate the chunky toe issue

3. 70k with advanced facings would be a pretty good option for you then. You can advance the top 3 eyelets or the whole eyelet row, either 1/4 or a 1/2 inch. 

4. Strong recommend for making a trip to get scanned. It makes a big difference. You don't need to get scanned to order custom skates, but you really should if at all possible. 

5. You're a pretty big unit. You could potentially get 70K with more stiffness if you feel like you need the support. 

Hope this helps...

18 hours ago, R1X3 said:

1. Yes, Made at the St Jean factory

2. An oversize toecap is available and may alleviate the chunky toe issue

3. 70k with advanced facings would be a pretty good option for you then. You can advance the top 3 eyelets or the whole eyelet row, either 1/4 or a 1/2 inch. 

4. Strong recommend for making a trip to get scanned. It makes a big difference. You don't need to get scanned to order custom skates, but you really should if at all possible. 

5. You're a pretty big unit. You could potentially get 70K with more stiffness if you feel like you need the support. 

Hope this helps...

I've heard about guys saying the AS1 customs have a very contoured outsole, closely fitting their arch instead of being flat like a retail model. Any idea if the 70k would be similar or if the 2 piece construction would limit that?

In the past, skates that didn't have enough volume and we lacking arch support (took me awhile to figure this out) gave me terrible arch pain.  Insoles with high arch support and loosely lacing over the arch helped, but we're kind of annoying to have to do. 

On 2/2/2019 at 6:05 AM, jpeaslee said:

I've heard about guys saying the AS1 customs have a very contoured outsole, closely fitting their arch instead of being flat like a retail model. Any idea if the 70k would be similar or if the 2 piece construction would limit that?

In the past, skates that didn't have enough volume and we lacking arch support (took me awhile to figure this out) gave me terrible arch pain.  Insoles with high arch support and loosely lacing over the arch helped, but we're kind of annoying to have to do. 

2pc boot will inhibit any arch modification, sorry.

I ended up ordering some Custom AS1s this weekend.  Did the CCM scan and Bauer volumental scan at North Georgia Hockey in Alpharetta/Atlanta.  I'm about 3.5 hours away in Huntsville, AL but they're the closest place that does custom skates and I was passing through Atlanta anyway. Geoff and Alex are solid guys and I'd definitely recommend stopping by the shop if you're in the area.

Hopefully I'm not putting the cart before the horse on this, but I've struggled to get good fitting skates. I have an E width forefoot and a regular/narrow heel with high arches and a really high ankle depth. Nexus has been the closest to a good fit, but it's still too loose in the and just not a great fit all around. The new tacks line was a pretty good fit, but not enough volume and the toecap was a little narrow (my whole foot/toes are shaped like a V), Jetspeeds in a EE width were the same deal, but failed the pencil test even more. Supremes just feel terrible, especially in the toe cap. 

Custom skates ended up being being

• AS1 10D
  • +1/2 facing (though even with that it's still barely enough volume),
  • Donut ankle pad
  • Forefoot comfort pad
  • Oversized toe cap
  • +3mm Enhanced comfort pad
  • 7mm Tritech Pro Ribbed HPE White
  • Clarino Grey liner
  • Orthomove Insoles
  • +2mm runners

They said typical turn time is 4-6 weeks, but lately they've been closer to 3. Can't wait!

Ordered my 

• Like 1

Just ordered a pair of Full Custom AS1s from my "LHS" (The Hockey Shop, though I live in Vancouver I had a less-than-stellar experience with Cyclone Taylor).

I'm coming off 2-year old Bauer Supreme Matrix skates (SMU S190) in 8.5EE (I can never feel the front in one of my skates) which have been punched to the moon and back to address various hot spots and now straight up don't fit unless I wear 2 pairs of thick socks because I went from 230lbs to 145lbs and the fat that necessitated EE skates melted away. 

Specs: 

8.25D + 8D 

Stock height, depth and stiffness

"Tritech Pro Ribbed" tongue (black),

Clarino liner (black), 

70K ankle pad add-on

Forefoot comfort foam add-on

Orthomove insoles

XS holder with XS1 Black +2mm runners (may swap for Step, we'll see how I like them)

Incidentally, I pulled a calf and won't be able to skate for 2-3 weeks, roughly in like with when I expect these to come in lol. 

I'm not much of a player to be honest and these are definitely overkill; in fact, I'm pretty much novice (I played minor hockey as a goalie growing up for 5-6 years, but stopped skating from ages 14-19. Picked it back up, did a ton of stick and pucks and public skates, and now, at age 22, only occasionally play some pickup games between stick and puck and drop-in hockey. I am, however, on the ice 2-3 times a week (3-4 in the winter) messing around at public skates or stick and pucks (this is pretty much my only hobby).

I have oversized asymmetrical navicular bones, and a super narrow heel. The fitter who scanned my feet told me I fit Vapors or Jetspeeds which was hilarious to me because 2 years ago, even Nexus skates weren't wide enough in the forefoot. (Scan suggested Tacks 8D). 

But, I have gone through 2 pairs of skates in the past 3 years. Started with a pair of Nexus N7000 for my then-fatass feet which had zero heel lock whatsoever and were oversized (thanks SportChek). The Supremes always kind of hurt somewhere or another, which was temporarily relieved with punching but now are too wide, and still kill my left heel (for some reason I don't understand, this started recently). While I had the Nexus and the Supremes, I always toyed with the idea of getting VH (now True) customs but could never justify the cost and quite frankly, I'm too OCD for the fit and finish of the skates (though I personally am in the minority who think they look pretty slick otherwise). Since August as I started doing more skating (3-4 times weekly stick and pucks and public skates, with some powerskating), I started toying with the idea of getting custom skates because... well, the Supremes hurt and started feeling awkward as my feet got skinnier. I also got a big bonus then so that sort of propelled my decision. 

Held off on it until now, not sure why. Skated with heel pain while wearing 2 pairs of socks this entire time. Didn't decide between True and CCM until I was literally getting my feet scanned for CCMs. I figured for $300 over the life of the skate, the better looks, features and (supposedly) better durability with CCM skates would be worth it for me (LHS guy was kinda pushing me to CCM, apparently they had way more problems with True skates, and the guy next to me had just gotten his Trues in and was talking about stuffing/plugging his toe cap or something as a solution True suggested for an oversized skate they made for him, and that just seemed silly to me). 

Anyway, enough random verbiage. I'm excited for these skates to come in; I anticipate I'll take a while to get used to the stiffness; and finally, I hope my feet don't change up on me in the near future because I plan to keep these for at least 2 more years 😛

Edited by Mlxg

How is the fit of the Tacks in comparison to Bauer’s Supreme line in regards to volume/heel lock/forefoot? I’m currently in S190’s at the moment and I’m looking to order a pair of 9090’s, or I might just hold off for the FT490’s once they release. 

On 3/26/2019 at 8:51 PM, Mlxg said:

Just ordered a pair of Full Custom AS1s from my "LHS" (The Hockey Shop, though I live in Vancouver I had a less-than-stellar experience with Cyclone Taylor).

I'm coming off 2-year old Bauer Supreme Matrix skates (SMU S190) in 8.5EE (I can never feel the front in one of my skates) which have been punched to the moon and back to address various hot spots and now straight up don't fit unless I wear 2 pairs of thick socks because I went from 230lbs to 145lbs and the fat that necessitated EE skates melted away. 

Specs: 

8.25D + 8D 

Stock height, depth and stiffness

"Tritech Pro Ribbed" tongue (black),

Clarino liner (black), 

70K ankle pad add-on

Forefoot comfort foam add-on

Orthomove insoles

XS holder with XS1 Black +2mm runners (may swap for Step, we'll see how I like them)

Incidentally, I pulled a calf and won't be able to skate for 2-3 weeks, roughly in like with when I expect these to come in lol. 

I'm not much of a player to be honest and these are definitely overkill; in fact, I'm pretty much novice (I played minor hockey as a goalie growing up for 5-6 years, but stopped skating from ages 14-19. Picked it back up, did a ton of stick and pucks and public skates, and now, at age 22, only occasionally play some pickup games between stick and puck and drop-in hockey. I am, however, on the ice 2-3 times a week (3-4 in the winter) messing around at public skates or stick and pucks (this is pretty much my only hobby).

I have oversized asymmetrical navicular bones, and a super narrow heel. The fitter who scanned my feet told me I fit Vapors or Jetspeeds which was hilarious to me because 2 years ago, even Nexus skates weren't wide enough in the forefoot. (Scan suggested Tacks 8D). 

But, I have gone through 2 pairs of skates in the past 3 years. Started with a pair of Nexus N7000 for my then-fatass feet which had zero heel lock whatsoever and were oversized (thanks SportChek). The Supremes always kind of hurt somewhere or another, which was temporarily relieved with punching but now are too wide, and still kill my left heel (for some reason I don't understand, this started recently). While I had the Nexus and the Supremes, I always toyed with the idea of getting VH (now True) customs but could never justify the cost and quite frankly, I'm too OCD for the fit and finish of the skates (though I personally am in the minority who think they look pretty slick otherwise). Since August as I started doing more skating (3-4 times weekly stick and pucks and public skates, with some powerskating), I started toying with the idea of getting custom skates because... well, the Supremes hurt and started feeling awkward as my feet got skinnier. I also got a big bonus then so that sort of propelled my decision. 

Held off on it until now, not sure why. Skated with heel pain while wearing 2 pairs of socks this entire time. Didn't decide between True and CCM until I was literally getting my feet scanned for CCMs. I figured for $300 over the life of the skate, the better looks, features and (supposedly) better durability with CCM skates would be worth it for me (LHS guy was kinda pushing me to CCM, apparently they had way more problems with True skates, and the guy next to me had just gotten his Trues in and was talking about stuffing/plugging his toe cap or something as a solution True suggested for an oversized skate they made for him, and that just seemed silly to me). 

Anyway, enough random verbiage. I'm excited for these skates to come in; I anticipate I'll take a while to get used to the stiffness; and finally, I hope my feet don't change up on me in the near future because I plan to keep these for at least 2 more years 😛

Imo trues will Outlast the ccms. I've been told by the manager of my lhs that Bauers are way more durable than CCM. He told me the ccms don't even last a full year for minor hockey players but Bauer does. But trues are built like tanks.

I've owned both CCM as1 and true and I can tell by holding it in my hand and inspecting the materials that true will last way longer, however I am also aware of the increased fit issues arising as of late.... durability apparently was addressed in the ft2 so we will see what happens. For me I play once a week only so any skate should last me at least 3 years. 

46 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Imo trues will Outlast the ccms. I've been told by the manager of my lhs that Bauers are way more durable than CCM. He told me the ccms don't even last a full year for minor hockey players but Bauer does. But trues are built like tanks.

I've owned both CCM as1 and true and I can tell by holding it in my hand and inspecting the materials that true will last way longer, however I am also aware of the increased fit issues arising as of late.... durability apparently was addressed in the ft2 so we will see what happens. For me I play once a week only so any skate should last me at least 3 years. 

The only concern I've heard so far on CCM's durability was what I read about eyelets here lol. To that end, I requested brass eyelets throughout. Wondering what else is prone to premature breakdown in the skate?

I don't think I'm heavy/hard enough on the skates for durability to be a large concern in general, but it was one of the reasons I went with CCM over true so if that's true, it'd be kind of unfortunate.  

My Bauers have been tanks, to be sure. 

Edited by Mlxg

19 hours ago, Mlxg said:

The only concern I've heard so far on CCM's durability was what I read about eyelets here lol. To that end, I requested brass eyelets throughout. Wondering what else is prone to premature breakdown in the skate?

I don't think I'm heavy/hard enough on the skates for durability to be a large concern in general, but it was one of the reasons I went with CCM over true so if that's true, it'd be kind of unfortunate.  

My Bauers have been tanks, to be sure. 

Did you get to handle the retail as1 or ft1? Even though the as1 are supposed to be the stiffest of the CCM line, they weren't as stuff as my trues. The trues are rock hard. The only part on the boot that flexed a bit were the facings. The as1s I have u can flex the quarter package a bit if you squeezed with both hands hard enough. I'd imagine this flex would increase even more as time went by. 

Edited by Sniper9

So I've had my as1s for about 2 mths now and they don't give me any issues. No hot spots (anymore) and no pain on and off the ice which worried me in the beginning.  Fit is good and heel lock is good etc. 

Overall they are nice skates and def feel like I can get around faster due to it's light weight, however, I feel my trues offered better stability and also I felt more biomechanically correct in my trues. This could be bc of the snow holders having a bit more forward pitch than my trues which had ls2 holders.

As I mentioned before, my trues were way stiffer but range of motion was better. The CCM I feel if I tied my skates too tight or loose it would be detrimental, and I had to find the perfect tightness. I think the problem with the as1s is that the entire quarter is one piece and more or less one stiffness where with the Trues, the ankle heel and forefoot areas were one solid thick piece and the facing was another thermoformable piece that was more flexible, which felt better/diff stiffness zones. 

Overall I do like the CCM as1s but personally don't think they are a 999$ cdn skate. I didn't pay retail so I'm not complaining bc they are very nice skates. I guess it's just hard to compare trues vs any retail skate bc the fit and feel is so diff. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

So I've had my as1s for about 2 mths now and they don't give me any issues. No hot spots (anymore) and no pain on and off the ice which worried me in the beginning.  Fit is good and heel lock is good etc. 

Overall they are nice skates and def feel like I can get around faster due to it's light weight, however, I feel my trues offered better stability and also I felt more biomechanically correct in my trues. This could be bc of the snow holders having a bit more forward pitch than my trues which had ls2 holders.

As I mentioned before, my trues were way stiffer but range of motion was better. The CCM I feel if I tied my skates too tight or loose it would be detrimental, and I had to find the perfect tightness. I think the problem with the as1s is that the entire quarter is one piece and more or less one stiffness where with the Trues, the ankle heel and forefoot areas were one solid thick piece and the facing was another thermoformable piece that was more flexible, which felt better/diff stiffness zones. 

Overall I do like the CCM as1s but personally don't think they are a 999$ cdn skate. I didn't pay retail so I'm not complaining bc they are very nice skates. I guess it's just hard to compare trues vs any retail skate bc the fit and feel is so diff. 

Another potential explanation is the difference in the boots' cut patterns. AS1's are high rise, while Trues are low rise. This will definitely have an effect on biomechanics. Stability could be a different phenomenon (holders, boot fit from toe to talus). Is there a difference in negative space in the boots? Holders will definitely have an effect, but so will other factors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flip12 said:

Another potential explanation is the difference in the boots' cut patterns. AS1's are high rise, while Trues are low rise. This will definitely have an effect on biomechanics. Stability could be a different phenomenon (holders, boot fit from toe to talus). Is there a difference in negative space in the boots? Holders will definitely have an effect, but so will other factors.

As1 is higher and an extra eyelet as well but if I drop an eyelet it feels too unstable. 

Negative space is similar for me which I'm happy about. In fact the as1 it noticeably tighter in the forefoot and smaller toe box. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1