Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CigarScott

Elbow pads for thick (fat) arms

So, a girl tripped me at the public skate session a couple Saturdays ago and it caused me to land weird on the ice in which I found out caused me to fracture a bone in my forearm. I will find out Thursday from the orthopedist what's next.

Anyways, now I am hypersensitive about landing on my elbows and arms. So while I'm in a state with real hockey shops in a couple weekends, I want to try on and possibly buy some heavy duty elbow pads that not only fit comfortably but also give me some kind of protection for when I inevitably fall again. It appears that CCM is the only company that still makes size XL elbow pads but it seems that these sizes from manufacturer to manufacturer are subjective so an XL CCM could be the same size as a size large STX or Bauer. Is there anyone on here with really thick arms that can recommend me a current elbow pad that fits and is heavy duty? If not, should I be looking for some NOS Reebok or Jofa pads?

The largest elbow pads I've seen recently are Warrior elbows.  Not sure how the Alpha line fits though, I haven't tried them on.  A buddy of mine has large HD elbows that are definitely able to accommodate larger/thicker arms than my XL CCM Ultra Tacks elbows. 

If you can find them, NOS Jofa pads. I have some NOS XL 8k Jofa pads that are to big for a guy who is 6' 2" and built like a tank. With the forearm velcro strap set in the middle of the pad, the entry point would accommodate a forearm that is 16" in diameter. pm me if interested, no one in my neck of the woods is big enough to fit these and the 8ks are pro stock bullet proof.

The Bauer Nexus 7000 might be an option for you. Protective without being over the top. Inexpensive too.  I can wear a L or a fitted Medium in these verses a L or XL in the Tacks. Also, the Warrior QX 4 pads fit me pretty well.

Good news, no need for a cast or surgery, just a month of physical therapy.

Anyways, my physical therapist measured my arms and measurements are below so If someone with a 16" arm can get into the Jofa's then it sounds like a winner to me if I can find a pair but if not, I'll try my luck at Pure Hockey in St. Louis.

forearm = 33cm

elbow crease = 34cm

above elbow = 39cm

Could always try the Tacks line.  My arms are just a few cm smaller than yours and I picked up the 7092 Tacks last night.  They fit like a dream.

3 minutes ago, nyquil said:

Could always try the Tacks line.  My arms are just a few cm smaller than yours and I picked up the 7092 Tacks last night.  They fit like a dream.

Yeah, I'm gonna try on everything that I can get my hands on at the Pure Hockey locations in St. Louis along with shins.

I wore my pair of junior Jofa elbow pads until I was about 20. I'm a little chubbier now at 23 and my arms are bigger with muscle but still has that damn layer of fat around it. Right when I needed new elbow pads, my dad got new ones and gave me a pair of the exact same Jofa elbow pads but in senior, so I've always been through and through with Jofas and I've tried newer ones but they bug me way too much.

Might not be the most helpful info considering Jofa isn't around anymore, but maybe I'd recommend second hand Jofas on SidelineSwap or eBay? Thats at least what I'll be doing when mine are done and I've also got thick arms.

1 minute ago, theinfamoust94 said:

I wore my pair of junior Jofa elbow pads until I was about 20. I'm a little chubbier now at 23 and my arms are bigger with muscle but still has that damn layer of fat around it. Right when I needed new elbow pads, my dad got new ones and gave me a pair of the exact same Jofa elbow pads but in senior, so I've always been through and through with Jofas and I've tried newer ones but they bug me way too much.

Might not be the most helpful info considering Jofa isn't around anymore, but maybe I'd recommend second hand Jofas on SidelineSwap or eBay? Thats at least what I'll be doing when mine are done and I've also got thick arms.

I'm keeping an eye on both sites; I'd prefer NOS pro stocks, if possible.

Just now, CigarScott said:

New Old Stock

Gotcha. Fair enough. I spend too much time on SidelineSwap even though it gets me in trouble with my wife so if I see something I'll PM you.

I'd just be recommending those Jofa's from my experience, I hate shoulder pads so I avoid them when I can and the Jofa protects well without being annoying with stick handling and shooting, but maybe I just didn't like the newer ones cause I didn't give them time to adjust. If it ain't broke don't fix it I guess.

Sounds good, thanks. I found some NOS Sher-wood 5030 shoulders on Ebay that I picked up that I can make as wide as I want thanks to the design so I'm happy that I found those. I keep hearing from people that the Jofa and Reebok stuff was the most generous size-wise. I just picked up an NOS 11K helmet last night on Ebay that fits heads up to 68cm!!! I'm gonna be thrilled if it is as huge as the helmet packaging says it is.

I want really heavy duty shins, elbows, and pants because that's what I'm gonna fall on and I need to make sure I don't break anything. At 180 pounds you probably aren't going to break anything falling on the ice with cheap pads on, if you weight twice that, not so much.

5 minutes ago, CigarScott said:

Sounds good, thanks. I found some NOS Sher-wood 5030 shoulders on Ebay that I picked up that I can make as wide as I want thanks to the design so I'm happy that I found those. I keep hearing from people that the Jofa and Reebok stuff was the most generous size-wise. I just picked up an NOS 11K helmet last night on Ebay that fits heads up to 68cm!!! I'm gonna be thrilled if it is as huge as the helmet packaging says it is.

I want really heavy duty shins, elbows, and pants because that's what I'm gonna fall on and I need to make sure I don't break anything. At 180 pounds you probably aren't going to break anything falling on the ice with cheap pads on, if you weight twice that, not so much.

I'm assuming CCM will be your best bet for something new since Reebok merged into the same name, but I don't really follow protective equipment that much.. Too much time and energy going into sticks. I don't think at 180 you should be that terrified about your gear, I'm 235 5'10 and as long as I'm careful I'm fine.

I never think about protective though because my older brother has the weirdest obsession with shin pads and shoulder pads and how they make him look on the ice. He's more self conscious about how his gear makes him look on the ice than my wife is about how her makeup makes her look.

In other words I get everything besides skates, gloves, helmets, and sticks for free and I'm nowhere near professional. 

On 2/2/2018 at 1:04 PM, nyquil said:

I got a chance to try on some elbow pads yesterday and the CCM Tacks 7092 were the best fit of the bunch so I picked up a pair. If find anything better, I will let you know. I also hope to score some Jofa's at some point to try out.

10 hours ago, CigarScott said:

I got a chance to try on some elbow pads yesterday and the CCM Tacks 7092 were the best fit of the bunch so I picked up a pair. If find anything better, I will let you know. I also hope to score some Jofa's at some point to try out.

Just be aware almost any new Jofa on eBay is going to be crazy expensive.

Edit:  Not to mention you already have a pad with JDP technology.

If you can find them, the old white Warrior Projekt which are still the best elbow pads I’ve ever used. They’re ideal for wider arms.

On 2/17/2018 at 7:35 PM, IPv6Freely said:

If you can find them, the old white Warrior Projekt which are still the best elbow pads I’ve ever used. They’re ideal for wider arms.

And just like that, somebody posts a pair for sale in our marketplace! @CigarScott 

On 1/30/2018 at 4:30 PM, tcraig said:

The largest elbow pads I've seen recently are Warrior elbows.  Not sure how the Alpha line fits though, I haven't tried them on.  A buddy of mine has large HD elbows that are definitely able to accommodate larger/thicker arms than my XL CCM Ultra Tacks elbows. 

I went to all three Pure Hockey stores in St. Louis over the weekend and they had all of one pair of Warrior elbow pads theoretically in my size; 90% of their in-stock protective was Bauer & CCM. The one Warrior pad that I did try felt good but two of the straps weren't long enough; I believe it was the Alpha QX so I went with the Tack 7092 which looks an feels like a cheaper, more modern Jofa (and it fit).