Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

IOC standards updated for hockey equipment logo size

Noticed it yesterday AM during the USA/FIN game; it looks like the IOC has loosened restrictions on the size of the manufacturer's mark on equipment.

I figured I'd reach out to someone who would've been privy to the standards. Thanks, Junkyard Athletic!

Here's what I received -

IOC-1.thumb.jpg.2cdee835d03897d64457aba1ca5dca37.jpgIOC-2.thumb.jpg.75290c8e4d817007be6a651cf36ef78a.jpgIOC-3.thumb.jpg.76f2edca92e9ea18c867ed4133149b30.jpg

In a nutshell, they're using retail products as the basis, which is a change from Sochi.

This is also assuming the manufacturers paid the fee.  You'll still see your usual no-shows with Vaughn and Brian’s, and those pads will remain logo-less.

I'm still awaiting verification if it is possible for manufacturers to display 2018 unreleased product.  Also, manufacturers are not allowed to use the Olympic athletes in marketing campaigns; the same issue the NHL had when they sent their players.

I noticed this in some of the women's games. All the front helmet logos were covered with tape. The only pro non retail equipment i could spot (with my untrained eye) was a ADV or two in what looked like the non retail curve.  

5 minutes ago, LFOD78 said:

I noticed this in some of the women's games. All the front helmet logos were covered with tape. The only pro non retail equipment i could spot (with my untrained eye) was a ADV or two in what looked like the non retail curve.  

Front logos are always covered; the sticker has the Olympics logo on it.  

13 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Hm. Interesting. I had no idea that logo size was different at the IOC stage. I know we'll never find out but I do wonder how much the fee was to display logos at "retail" size...

469512373.thumb.jpg.b80801b559db9406cba179da45dfe72f.jpg

It also doesn't mean you can't have customized product.  There are gloves with the flag on the thumb, and Warrior has sticks with the flag worked into the logo.

interesting that manufacturers can't showcase new products. I recall in the past the Olympics used to be somewhat of a showcase for upcoming gear 

I think the restrictions for hockey are kind of ridiculous, considering Burton has a four foot logo on the bottom of snowboards.

That is pretty much what we can determine changed it all.  Skis don't have that much space for logo placement, but snowboards are a massive canvas for a logo hit.

But there's really no restriction now.  Which was the point of this thread.

14 minutes ago, boo10 said:

I think the restrictions for hockey are kind of ridiculous, considering Burton has a four foot logo on the bottom of snowboards.

21 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Rule is as stated - has to be product in the retail marketplace for the past 6 months. 

Thanks for confirmation, @Miseaujeu!

Any idea if this only applies to noticeable and visible branding? As it seems many players are wearing the same gloves as Ovechkin and those are 2018 new release product. 

Am I reading this differently? It sounds like IOC doesn't want a company logo change to happen corresponding to the Olympics.

"May carry the Identification of the Manufacturer as generally used on products sold through the retail trade during the period of 6 months or more prior to the Games."

To me that sounds like it's ok for a brand new item or line to be introduced, just no new wordmark for CCM, Bauer, Nike, etc.