Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mer

How bad was my skate fitting and which skates should I really wear?

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

@Leif Thst was for you. I forgot to tag you in the post.

If you feel good in a EE Supreme you should avoid Vapors like the plague. You should consider yourself a Supreme/Nexus type fit. 

There is enough info here on the site where you can essentially fit yourself. Sucks seeing people forced into a boot that was never going to work.

Exactly. He is a hockey coach, so he should know how to fit skates. However, he probably thought I was a casual skater, given that I am in my fifties, and turned up with knackered 20 year old budget skates (original Vapors). I lost a good wedge of money, injured myself several times, and nearly gave up as I was getting sick of falling over so often. Since then I have never fallen in that manner. I still fall, but that’s cos I push myself to learn new moves. :laugh:

2 hours ago, mer said:

Haha, I was just trying to determine if my feet are really that weird/unusually shaped. They never seemed that odd to me, but the whole skate thing has left me wondering if maybe they just weren't meant for a retail boot. 

And yeah, I was wondering about the skate performance because you hear all kinds of things about the Vapors being better somehow. I was always under the impression that the fit/personal skating ability were the most important things to get a good performance out of the skate, but maybe I'm wrong. 

Thank you for answering my questions!

You could start a thread asking if the different models perform differently, but I reckon the differences in appearance across the models are just cosmetic. Obviously as you go up in price, the construction improves. As to whether you have weird feet, you have been given really good information here regarding fitting, so you should be able to walk into a shop, and narrow down which skate fits, if any does. Also check the manufacturers site to see what widths are available, given that shops don’t always stock all sizes and widths. 

Oddly enough some people buy into a model based on aesthetics. 

Regarding baking, I was told NOT to stand up after putting on baked skates, unless the skate is a bit too narrow, as standing will widen it out since the foot will be more splayed. 

8 minutes ago, Leif said:

You could start a thread asking if the different models perform differently, but I reckon the differences in appearance across the models are just cosmetic. Obviously as you go up in price, the construction improves. As to whether you have weird feet, you have been given really good information here regarding fitting, so you should be able to walk into a shop, and narrow down which skate fits, if any does. Also check the manufacturers site to see what widths are available, given that shops don’t always stock all sizes and widths. 

Oddly enough some people buy into a model based on aesthetics. 

Regarding baking, I was told NOT to stand up after putting on baked skates, unless the skate is a bit too narrow, as standing will widen it out since the foot will be more splayed. 

I think you're right about the aesthetics which is especially dangerous with kids. The red Vapors look a lot cooler than the blue Nexus and I'm sure fifteen year old me would have jammed my feet into them at the cost of blood and blisters. 

I think I'll try on more skates and then make a more informed decision on what I need. 

Thank you for your help, everyone! You've all been a huge help!

4 hours ago, mer said:

And yeah, I was wondering about the skate performance because you hear all kinds of things about the Vapors being better somehow. I was always under the impression that the fit/personal skating ability were the most important things to get a good performance out of the skate, but maybe I'm wrong. 

Thank you for answering my questions!

No, you are not wrong, a good fit will help you skate better.

For lace bite, if the volume is too small there is nothing you can physically do to the boot that will change this. What you can do is add or alter other things: lacing pattern, skip eyelets, eyelet extenders, option B laces, gel pads and similar, forsberg pads. Of these, learnt from hard earned experience of dealing with lace bite, eyelet extenders and forsberg pads are the best for eliminating lace bite. Eyelet extenders are an add on to the skate, you can either buy them or make your own (I can tell you how). Once installed you just lace up as normal. Forsberg pads you make from 1/2" pipe insulation, simple and dirt cheap but you have to tape them on to your foot every time you skate.

1 hour ago, mer said:

I think I'll try on more skates and then make a more informed decision on what I need. 

Thank you for your help, everyone! You've all been a huge help!

Follow the suggestions for the pencil tests, research and read as much you can, trust what you know is right and not what some moron / scanner is trying to sell / tell you (honestly, fitting you in a skate that is 2 sizes to big to fix your forefoot width just makes me want to find a brick wall and pound my head against it). Remember, length first, heel lock next. These things can't be changed. Width and volume (within reason) can be fixed with additional help. Feet that fall outside the design of a retail boot shape is always going to mean you have to do a little bit more work to get a good fit.

12 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Follow the suggestions for the pencil tests, research and read as much you can, trust what you know is right and not what some moron / scanner is trying to sell / tell you (honestly, fitting you in a skate that is 2 sizes to big to fix your forefoot width just makes me want to find a brick wall and pound my head against it). Remember, length first, heel lock next. These things can't be changed. Width and volume (within reason) can be fixed with additional help. Feet that fall outside the design of a retail boot shape is always going to mean you have to do a little bit more work to get a good fit.

Thank you once again! I'm so glad someone is taking the time to answer all my questions. 

In the spirit of research I have one more question: I've heard conflicting information about whether or not to stand up during the baking process. I read somewhere on here that there was a specific skate where you *had* to stand, but that it was not to be done with the usual Bauer/CCM/Graf skates. Has that rule changed over the years or is that still the same?

I've also read about something called 'pressure fitting' where the skate is molded to your foot more tightly through air pressure or something (I can't quite picture the logistics in my head) which sounds like a cool thing if it worked. Would you recommend that if I can find some place that does it?

Thank you again!

1 hour ago, mer said:

Thank you once again! I'm so glad someone is taking the time to answer all my questions. 

In the spirit of research I have one more question: I've heard conflicting information about whether or not to stand up during the baking process. I read somewhere on here that there was a specific skate where you *had* to stand, but that it was not to be done with the usual Bauer/CCM/Graf skates. Has that rule changed over the years or is that still the same?

I've also read about something called 'pressure fitting' where the skate is molded to your foot more tightly through air pressure or something (I can't quite picture the logistics in my head) which sounds like a cool thing if it worked. Would you recommend that if I can find some place that does it?

Thank you again!

Pressure fitting I think you are referring to is the ccm f.i.t machines , from some time ago. Which I dont think anyone has/uses anymore. 

2 hours ago, mer said:

Thank you again!

I believe that in the top end Bauer skates that are made of Curv composite it’s ok to stand for the first few minutes of the baking process.

That being said I did not stand in my MX3’s  when I baked them and they fit like a glove. 

On 2/18/2018 at 1:54 PM, mer said:

Thank you again!

F.i.t machine towards the middle of this vid if you still interested how it works.

I am pretty sure this no longer exist unless some shop somewhere still have one of those.