Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChrisS8899

17 1X Lace bite ?

Long story short - coming out of original apx's with worn tongues I developed some potent lace bite on one side . Replaced these with brand new 2017 1X's fit is great, depth is just right . I pass the pencil depth test etc. but im getting lace bite starting on both feet up high 1st eyelet and up a little  , these tongues are great and are combating it quite a bit I think. In the process of trying different lacing techniques (out to in etc.) . But it is lurking . I dont want it to further itself to where I have to take time off, its not at that point yet .  From what i've heard lace bite up high like this is usually from too stiff of a boot . Im only 150-55 lbs it will likely take me some time to break these in some .Anyone else have this issue with brand new skates ,  any insight on this is appreciated,  contemplating stepping down to something less stiff.

I’m in the same boat, but 6’1” 220. Pass the pencil test, but I’m getting mild lace bite. Doesn’t bother me on the ice but I notice it slightly later in the day or the next day after skating. Honestly, I hate the new tongue on the 2017 1x and wonder if a thinner older style tongue would be better. Lacing outside in for eyelets 4-7 has helped me. I just wish Bauer sold replacement tongues, such as the black one95 tongue that many NHL players seem to prefer.

51 minutes ago, ChrisS8899 said:

I pass the pencil depth test etc. but im getting lace bite starting on both feet up high 1st eyelet and up a little 

Tendon inflammation can take months to settle down, you have to get the pressure off the tendon. Skip the top eyelet, in an ultra stiff boot you will hardly notice it. Or make yourself some forsberg pads to wear in the meantime.

Sorry, I misread this the first time, mine is more across the instep as opposed to the top eyelet.

Also ChrisS8899, did you have your foot scanned on the Bauer scanner? 

Yeah using bunga pads on both feet now . Going to try skipping the eyelet as well. How many skates/hours ish does it usually take to break in 1x or equivalent skates ? guessing at least 12-20 games / hrs . Rebaking might not hurt either , yes bauers scan wants me in 6.5ee supremes . I am bulging out of supremes depth wise which is strange . These 1x's are 7ds . note i do have narrow heels .

I'm consistently told by the Bauer scanner I should be in an 8.5 d supreme, but that's painfully short for me. I probably get a bit better heel lock in the 9d 1s compared to the 9d 1x, but like you I find I fare worse on the pencil test in the supremes. Some of it might be the pitch, but I just skate better in vapors. Would love Bauer to star making custom skates for the masses based off their scanning technology like it sounds ccm is introducing.

12 minutes ago, Jscott40 said:

I'm consistently told by the Bauer scanner I should be in an 8.5 d supreme, but that's painfully short for me. I probably get a bit better heel lock in the 9d 1s compared to the 9d 1x, but like you I find I fare worse on the pencil test in the supremes. Some of it might be the pitch, but I just skate better in vapors. Would love Bauer to star making custom skates for the masses based off their scanning technology like it sounds ccm is introducing.

Agree on customs. Have you noticed the bite has improved with break in at all ? unless yours are still pretty new as well i have under 5 skates in them so far . I did have better heel lock in the 1s' as well. But its still decent in the1x's , I pickup on minimal slip at times . But now im sensitive to it & looking for it . The tackier material at the bottom of the heel does seem to help . I dont mind the 1x's tongues , thought at first the extra bulk to them will help with the bite . But not so sure now

OP, first off, you are not alone when it comes to lace bite with the original APX.   IMO, the APX may be the poorest design in the history of hockey when it comes to lace bite. I don't know what Bauer was thinking when they rolled an ultra thin tongue, ultra shallow depth, ultra tall lacing, and ultra stiff boot into one package.  In my 45 years in hockey, the APX is the only skate to ever cause me lace bite. Despite all the hopeful remedies, it is my experience that the only way to get rid of lace bite is to get new skates. 

That being said, if you bought the 1X in a hockey store, why would they sell you another Vapor after your experience with the 1X? If you told the fitter you had APX bite, the first thing he should have done was direct you toward Supreme, or even over to Tacks. I would start at the shop and ask questions. Maybe you could work a deal where they took the 1x back if you bought a different skate from them that fit correctly. 

Personally, when I had lace bite with APX, I switched to Supreme 1S and they have been perfect.

8 hours ago, Jscott40 said:

Would love Bauer to star making custom skates for the masses based off their scanning technology like it sounds ccm is introducing.

Patience young padawan.... patience....  I for one do not believe that the largest hockey company in the world will ignore the market.  And when they do it will be better than anything we are currently seeing.

1 hour ago, clarkiestooth said:

OP, first off, you are not alone when it comes to lace bite with the original APX.   IMO, the APX may be the poorest design in the history of hockey when it comes to lace bite. I don't know what Bauer was thinking when they rolled an ultra thin tongue, ultra shallow depth, ultra tall lacing, and ultra stiff boot into one package.  In my 45 years in hockey, the APX is the only skate to ever cause me lace bite. Despite all the hopeful remedies, it is my experience that the only way to get rid of lace bite is to get new skates. 

That being said, if you bought the 1X in a hockey store, why would they sell you another Vapor after your experience with the 1X? If you told the fitter you had APX bite, the first thing he should have done was direct you toward Supreme, or even over to Tacks. I would start at the shop and ask questions. Maybe you could work a deal where they took the 1x back if you bought a different skate from them that fit correctly. 

Personally, when I had lace bite with APX, I switched to Supreme 1S and they have been perfect.

I was in apx's for about 3-4 years (did buy the apx's preowned & broken in ). surprisingly only got the bite towards the end when the tongues were done for . I tried 1s' for a short time, but I am bulging out a good amount near the third & forth eyelets.  I think lacebite might be worse in supremes for me . I am tinkering trying on some ccm's , and taking it from there .

Interesting that the scan puts you in a EE Supreme and you went with a D Vapor. 

Try a really wide lace like a Howies. It will spread the pressure out which may help a little.

Yeah bought some thick non waxed laces . Im a bit cramped in a 6.5 , so bumped up to a 7d . my instep is to high for supremes. No sure why vapors work though go figure. I was always under the assumption that vapors are shallower .Unless its just my narrow ankle .

4 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Patience young padawan.... patience....  I for one do not believe that the largest hockey company in the world will ignore the market.  And when they do it will be better than anything we are currently seeing.

where have you been for the last decade?

Started lacing like taylor hall (skip second eyelet but use the top ) with thicker laces and it seems to have helped quite a bit . Anyone have a guesstimate of break in time 12 skates/ hours ish ?

Picked up a pair of x700's 2015 model , buddy of mine basically gave them away, figured ill experiment why not . Just curious how much softer will these be vs. the 1xs ? anyone have this model , searched but haven't turned up much . Lookls like the 800-900s are basically the same as the 1xs stiffness wise .So figured these arent a huge downgrade. Not expecting 1x repsonsiveness but I never have tried skates with some flex really . I know its a preference thing with stiffness but any opinions would be appreciated 

22 minutes ago, ChrisS8899 said:

Picked up a pair of x700's 2015 model , buddy of mine basically gave them away, figured ill experiment why not . Just curious how much softer will these be vs. the 1xs ? anyone have this model , searched but haven't turned up much . Lookls like the 800-900s are basically the same as the 1xs stiffness wise .So figured these arent a huge downgrade. Not expecting 1x repsonsiveness but I never have tried skates with some flex really . I know its a preference thing with stiffness but any opinions would be appreciated 

X700 will be noticeably less stiff than the 1X's.

The X800/900 is also a lot less stiff than the 1X.

On 2/17/2018 at 10:45 PM, Jscott40 said:

Sorry, I misread this the first time, mine is more across the instep as opposed to the top eyelet.

Also ChrisS8899, did you have your foot scanned on the Bauer scanner? 

Has yours improved as they break in ? Im still getting some discomfort(have about 4games in them), mostly in that instep area as well no swelling or anything . Wonder if the lacing system has something to do with it , not much give with the bauer cloth laces. Going to try thicker laces as well. Wonder if klarke or one95 tongues will improve it / make a difference . Depth is good , wondering if this is the newly designed flex lock tongue, or it needs some breaking in .Going to try a rebake as well

I’d say mine has stayed pretty much the same, isn’t really changing after around 10 skates. I personally think it’s a combination of the tongue and overall fit issues since the Bauer scanner recommended supreme for me. Never had any pain in my 1s, just thought that the vapor performed a little better, likely due to the forward pitch and it being a little narrower. 

Just now, Jscott40 said:

I’d say mine has stayed pretty much the same, isn’t really changing after around 10 skates. I personally think it’s a combination of the tongue and overall fit issues since the Bauer scanner recommended supreme for me. Never had any pain in my 1s, just thought that the vapor performed a little better, likely due to the forward pitch and it being a little narrower. 

Yeah I hear you , im thinking about changing the tongues . Was hoping by 10 skates it would clear/improve. 

If I pass pencil test in a 7d  1x vapor , & fail in a 7d  1s supreme that should be reversed going by theory . I know theres variables but strange . I failed the pencil test and could feel that lace bite was going to be an issue in a supreme . Contemplating trying on nexus/super tacks. Bauer scan said I have medium instep and wants me in a 6.5 ee supreme  which I was swimming in , in the forefoot . 

1 hour ago, ChrisS8899 said:

If I pass pencil test in a 7d  1x vapor , & fail in a 7d  1s supreme that should be reversed going by theory . I know theres variables but strange . I failed the pencil test and could feel that lace bite was going to be an issue in a supreme . Contemplating trying on nexus/super tacks. Bauer scan said I have medium instep and wants me in a 6.5 ee supreme  which I was swimming in , in the forefoot . 

The off-set quarter panel on the 1X is probably why you pass in the Vapor and not the Supreme. 

An EE Supreme is pretty close to a D Nexus. If you’re swimming in that the Nexus won’t work. 

33 minutes ago, stick9 said:

The off-set quarter panel on the 1X is probably why you pass in the Vapor and not the Supreme. 

An EE Supreme is pretty close to a D Nexus. If you’re swimming in that the Nexus won’t work. 

Yeah i thought so at first as well. But i did pass in the 15 model 1x & apx's as well 

I am going to ditch the retail flex lock tongues &  try something else .Fit everywhere else is excellent, dont want to give up just yet. On the fence between a bobby clarke tongue & a one95 style tongue. Anyone have experience with either & how they do with lacebite/longevity before breaking down . Or another tongue suggestion , at this point any insight is appreciated