Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pisani34

Mako 2 to super tacks - what is the pitch difference?

After being in my mako 2's for 4 years, I picked up a pair of super tacks for a price I couldnt say no to.  Got 2 skates in and of course I'm not 100% adjusted just yet and wondering if I should make some adjustments now or give it some time.

I wore the mako 2's with the stock steel at first, and then lately just switched to step V steel I'm the CXN holders. No custom profiling or anything, and always just sharpening at X7 flat bottom.

I'm on the stock SB +4.0 and SB black runners on the super tacks, and am feeling too much on my heels when im out there.  That being said, I think I do prefer the aggressiveness of the forward pitch I've been on for so long.

So with that being said, does anyone know the adjustments I might make to the super tacks to get them more in my wheelhouse?  Shims/profiling etc and exactly how thick, what profile etc would replicate mako 2+cxn+step?

I had the exact same problem, same skates, same good $ deal on SuperTacks.

After many emails with Bob at NoIcing.com I put a 3mm heel shim under the boot at the rear tower and he profiled StepSteel with an 8'/12' combo radius  and a mild forward profile.

He said the 3mm heel shim would give me a +1 and his profile would give me another +1. Mako 2 are +3mm so it would be close. I also have off the shelf foot insoles

that have a slight heel rise. After skating 8x on them I've removed the insoles and gone with the CCM supplied insoles which are not as tall in the back, As I'm getting used to the skate.

Now I'm going to remove one of the shims (they're actually two 1.5mm pieces of plastic on top of one another) to reduce forward pitch and reinstall my insoles as mine are more comfortable.

I find that this gets me close to Mako 2's however, it's not perfect yet. In addition, I find the carbon boot not as conforming as the moldable Mako. As I raise my foot inside the SuperTacks,

my foot doesn't always line up with the padding in the skate. In addition, the tongue doesn't cover the edges of my ankle, I need to get in the skate more. I also were bunga pads

on my ankle bones.

One thing I don't like is the lace eyelets are different. I leave the top one undone for forward flexion, but SuperTacks are at a different height. This leaves my top lace slightly lower than the

Mako, which is why I want to get into the boot more, for stability.

By the way, for rivets, I just use 20mm stainless steel pan head screws with 4mm lock nuts. then I can remove them as many times as I want.

1 hour ago, drbones said:

I had the exact same problem, same skates, same good $ deal on SuperTacks.

After many emails with Bob at NoIcing.com I put a 3mm heel shim under the boot at the rear tower and he profiled StepSteel with an 8'/12' combo radius  and a mild forward profile.

He said the 3mm heel shim would give me a +1 and his profile would give me another +1. Mako 2 are +3mm so it would be close. I also have off the shelf foot insoles

that have a slight heel rise. After skating 8x on them I've removed the insoles and gone with the CCM supplied insoles which are not as tall in the back, As I'm getting used to the skate.

Now I'm going to remove one of the shims (they're actually two 1.5mm pieces of plastic on top of one another) to reduce forward pitch and reinstall my insoles as mine are more comfortable.

A +1 is 1/32"

3mm is approximately 1/8", or 4/32"

I'm in the same boat.   Mako 2's for awhile, great deal on super tacks so I scooped them and started to wear when my last pair of Makos died.  I just can't seem to get used to them, my one ankle is surgically repaired, and looks like it might need surgery again.   I might have to go the VH route, and just suck up the cost in an attempt to skate pain free and not limp the next day.

I wonder if I had a weird pair of Super Tacks, from reading in here.  

I had skated in Makos, and while I didn't love the aggressive pitch, I was able to skate well in them.  The Super Tacks felt even more aggressively pitched to me... and I spent the whole time trying not to fall onto my chin.  

12 hours ago, Pocketmonster18 said:

I wonder if I had a weird pair of Super Tacks, from reading in here.  

I had skated in Makos, and while I didn't love the aggressive pitch, I was able to skate well in them.  The Super Tacks felt even more aggressively pitched to me... and I spent the whole time trying not to fall onto my chin.  

Did you by chance go with a smaller size (smaller holder and blade) on the super tacks?  Sometimes going down a blade size makes you feel this way as well.

Not to derail the topic, but as a skater in Makos for the last several years, how did you find the fit of the Supertacks VS the Makos? I'm most concerned about the heel -- mine is very narrow.

48 minutes ago, IniNew said:

Not to derail the topic, but as a skater in Makos for the last several years, how did you find the fit of the Supertacks VS the Makos? I'm most concerned about the heel -- mine is very narrow.

Is your forefoot more wide or narrow?

3 hours ago, IniNew said:

I found the heel lock good. The real difference is the top of the distal foot and toes. There's too much dead airspace or volume. The Mako's wrap around your foot at all places and I can use the top of my forefoot to initiate a turn without having to push very hard with my legs. Because the SuperTacks are complete carbon fiber they are very light and reactive to forces from your foot as the boot doesn't mush, however, the extra space makes it difficult or use or feel the top of my foot on the boot. I'm using the sole more for skating. 

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:24 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

A +1 is 1/32"

Ok. I guess I got it wrong! Thank you!

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:24 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

A +1 is 1/32"

So what is the pitch of a +4.0 SB holder?

Or a Bauer Lightspeed Edge holder?

As I can see the front tower on a CXN is lower....

On 2018-03-06 at 1:33 PM, IniNew said:

After about 10 skates in them now, I'm finding that I do enjoy the fit and stability of my super tacks over my makos.  Mind you, my mako 2's are about 4 years old now.  I still use them to ref in (to avoid excess wear to my super tacks), and the makos now actually feel a little sloppy to be honest, I guess I didn't realize how much they had been breaking down.

I've always had concerns with heel lock in skates.  Makos were great for heel lock, and I'm also having no issues at all with great heel lock in the ST.    I've also tried both the ccm currexsoles included with them in medium arch, and just recently tried superfeet carbon in them last skate.  I'm still getting some general foot cramping in the skates but I think when that subsides, the superfeet for me will be the footbed of choice (as it has been the last 8 years too), I just wanted to see if maybe the ccm insoles were something better.

As far as getting the steel profiled/pitched, I decided to just leave them stock for now, and I've actually grown used to it.  Backwards skating agility/manouevreability is slightly better to me than the forward pitched CXNs.  I'll give it a bit longer to see if I could gain anything going with a different profile.  I have also been lacing the super tacks up all the way for the first skates, and the last one decided to switch to waxed laces and skip the top eyelet.  The waxed laces kept a better heel lock staying tighter at the 3rd eyelet down, and I found skipping the top eyelet brought back the mako-like mobility for me, all the while still feeling VERY stable.  Starting to finally get dialed in with these puppies.

I busted my CXN holder on my Mako 2's and went to Tuuks with step steel.  I put a 1/8 shim in the heel and it took a half game to get used to the switch.  They are not far off of the CXN's now and I kinda of like them better.