Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jpeaslee

Physical Play in C League

From my beer league experience the lower the league the harder the hacks and physicality. Me playing on a Div D2 team as a sub for a coworker was how I broke my leg. Got tripped by the d-man while I was chasing the puck in the corner at high speed in their end...

Doesn't help that I may have been trying a little too hard because I had a lady in the crowd and was trying to seal the deal.. She's my wife now so it worked out even though I have a rod in there for life.

OP I think its safe to say its just about feeling it out. If you find yourself pissing people off or leading in PIMs.. Time to tone it down.. If you're work is getting you the puck and avoiding the box/irritation from your teammates and is only pissing them off, I think its safe to say your play is working out well for you.. Everyone just has to watch their damn sticks sometimes.

Edited by theinfamoust94
meant to add more originally

15 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

So it's highly likely there are folks like yourself that can guide these  new to the game players  .  Thank you

I used to play in a league that was a pretty good mixture of players. The guy who ran the organization knew pretty much everyone. You would sign up and he would put you on a team so they were equal. Each team had a couple of B level players the organization knew pretty well. For the most part the teams were C level with some D level players. The B level players were there to help teach the game, almost like a skating coach. None of them took advantage of the lower level players and it was a fun league to play in. The players understood what was being done so they didn't get upset if you told them what they should do or try. The ones who really impressed me were the ones who asked questions. I saw a lot of guys going from beginners to decent players in a short time. Sometimes that is what's wrong with a lot of low level beer leagues. The players get butt hurt if you try to tell them something or they won't ask questions because the don't want to feel stupid. I've always talked a lot during the game, it might be talking with my team mates on the bench about what they or I am going to do or on the ice about who's got who or doing what.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chk hrd said:

I used to play in a league that was a pretty good mixture of players. The guy who ran the organization knew pretty much everyone. You would sign up and he would put you on a team so they were equal. Each team had a couple of B level players the organization knew pretty well. For the most part the teams were C level with some D level players. The B level players were there to help teach the game, almost like a skating coach. None of them took advantage of the lower level players and it was a fun league to play in. The players understood what was being done so they didn't get upset if you told them what they should do or try. The ones who really impressed me were the ones who asked questions. I saw a lot of guys going from beginners to decent players in a short time. Sometimes that is what's wrong with a lot of low level beer leagues. The players get butt hurt if you try to tell them something or they won't ask questions because the don't want to feel stupid. I've always talked a lot during the game, it might be talking with my team mates on the bench about what they or I am going to do or on the ice about who's got who or doing what.   

Yes the way it should be.  There were folks that were like a sponge.  Then there were folks that deflected every darn thing you tried to explain. 

On 2/20/2018 at 12:26 AM, puckpilot said:

If you're way bigger than most guys, you're going catch flak for any sort of bump that results in anything that looks or sounds dramatic, even if you didn't do much of anything.

For me, if I'm in front of the net and you shove or body me out, with one hand or two, without crosscheking me, I'm find with it. To me, that's fair game. 

When along the boards, it kind of depends on what you mean by skate through. I mean if you're battling on the boards and get the puck and just skate out with it steady as the other two players are clinging to you like toilet paper on your shoe, I don't see anything wrong with it. But if you're throwing shoulders into their chins to get them out of the way, well, maybe that's not so cool.

I'm a small guy, 5'5 and when I play against guys your size, the ones I respect most are the ones who know how to use their size to simply body me out of the way while being in control.  For me, I can't bitch about that, even if I end up on my ass. Like I said fair game. 

The ones I hate are the ones who are out of control, and are either too stupid to realize or don't care. They're the ones who accidentally elbow you in the chops while skating by even though the play is waaaay up ice. Stupid stuff like that drives me bonkers. 

Any way my 2 cents

Agree with you there. I'm slightly taller than you, I'm a crease rat, I don't mind the pushing and shoving infront of net, like you said it's the big guys who are reckless that are dangerous. It's the reason I wear a fishbowl.

I love a a bit of physical play but not to the point it starts becoming dirty. The guys that whine when you give them a love tap but are the first ones to get a body on you at the boards are the worse. I'm a fan of refs that don't call the bits up bumps and physical play here and there, its hockey not soccer. My overall experience is that if a bigger guy gets into physical play with a smaller dude, it will get called morseo than vise versa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ViperRy said:

I love a a bit of physical play but not to the point it starts becoming dirty. The guys that whine when you give them a love tap but are the first ones to get a body on you at the boards are the worse. I'm a fan of refs that don't call the bits up bumps and physical play here and there, its hockey not soccer. My overall experience is that if a bigger guy gets into physical play with a smaller dude, it will get called morseo than vise versa.

That is the stuff that always escalates in C level beer league and turns the game into a shitshow. There are levels where guys can handle it and understand where the line is but that usually ain't C level.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 5:36 PM, chippa13 said:

That is the stuff that always escalates in C level beer league and turns the game into a shitshow. There are levels where guys can handle it and understand where the line is but that usually ain't C level.

Most guys at the C level don't realize that. They are the same guys who look for a call EVERY time they fall down, regardless of what caused it. In my opinion, physical play shouldn't exist at this level. Why? Because guys either take what they see on TV and look to incorporate it into their playing style or guys don't seem to understand that contact isn't illegal per the USAH Rulebook.