Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fire_poi

Stick Flex

I have just gotten back into hockey after many many years away.  I am wondering about going to an intermediate stick to be able to get a lighter flex (55-65).   I am around 5'7 and 155lbs, I would certainly not describe myself as overly strong which is why I am looking for an easier flex.  One of the guys the other night swapped to a lighter flex and found that it helped his shot.  So question being:  is 55 too light?  What are the benefits and drawbacks of such a light stick?

Some 55 flex INT could work for you since you're not too tall... CCM Supertacks 2.0 55 flex are stiffer than say, Warrior Alpha QX 55 Flex... Also I find True sticks play stiffer than the flex they advertise.

I used INT sticks for a bit though nothing below a 70. While they worked fine I don’t think I got the same durability from them as I did Sr sticks. The only ones that really lasted were some Warrior NCAA pro stocks.

You're roughly my size. I'm 5'5 175. I use junior sticks, 52, 50, and 45 flex and I'm fine with them. Before I moved down to juniors, it was a slow trek down the flex ratings from 85 all the way down to 55 flex intermediates that I left super long. Eventually, for stickhandling's sake I had to cut them down, but after, they didn't feel quite right. Still too stiff. Since you're taller than me, a 55 flex intermediate shouldn't be a problem. FYI Johnny Gaudreau uses a 55 flex stick and he's in the NHL. 

I can say the lighter flex helped me develop a way better shot, slap, wrist, and especially snap. It's quicker, more accurate, and is harder all around. For me the draw backs are only because I'm using junior sticks, the blades tend to be softer than intermediates, so I have be more meticulous in what sticks I buy. But for intermediates, that shouldn't be a problem. Pick one off the rack. My favorites are the Warriors. Easiest loading stick on the market IMHO. 

The only issue I ever had was at first that a 55 flex stick felt like it was going to break when I leaned into slapshot, but it never did. I was so used to having to throw everything i had into a shot in order to just get something respectable off that I was cheating with my form, which resulted in me over torquing the stick. But once I got used to the feel, it wasn't problem. I play center and league games, and no issues with using a 55 flex. Now days when I pick up some of my old sticks that are 60 flex and above, they feel like lengths of rebar.  

I'm too way big for a junior or intermediate.. Johnny hockey uses intermediates but he always doesn't have to pay for his sticks! Lol

15 years ago or so, I don't ever remember seeing 80 flexes on a senior stick (I also was in Peewee and was too young to be using senior sticks so I didn't look much). Seems like lower flexes are getting more and more popular all the time.

Generally, you want to do about half of your body weight. I'm 5"10 and about 240 (yikes) and I use about a 90ish flex after cutting which is just under 40% of my weight and it works for me. I've had 77 flex sticks in the past, but I didn't feel like it was as responsive when I was trying to grab the puck along the boards at high speed or trying to fire off a one timer.

A 55 flex would be about 35% which is pretty low, but it really depends on preference.

Only thing I'd be worried about with a 55 flex is your type of play. Are you ripping clappers quite often? Do you fight for the puck in the corners/boards? Do you play in front of the net and try to catch rebounds to get "garbage" goals? If you have that quite often in your play, it might not be worth having that extra whip in your shot considering it'll be much easier to break your sticks.

You've got the right idea considering an intermediate stick at 5'7''.  Remember, if you are using a 75 flex senior stick and cutting 6 inches off the length, that stick becomes much,much stiffer than the 75 on the label.

45 minutes ago, clarkiestooth said:

You've got the right idea considering an intermediate stick at 5'7''.  Remember, if you are using a 75 flex senior stick and cutting 6 inches off the length, that stick becomes much,much stiffer than the 75 on the label.

depends on the stick, but yes, the general idea is that the stick will be harder to flex the shorter it is.

This is an interesting thread. I’m also about 155 lb but 5’11”. I use an 85 flex CCM stick, but I can’t bend it and I’m wondering if a more flexible stick would be better. Am I right that intermediate sticks can be extended as per seniors? If so I might pick one up. 

Yes, you can extend them. I am 5'9" and 170lb and I find that a 65 or 70 flex stick gives a nice flex when I lean into it but is still stiff enough that stick handling and catching passes feels right. I tried a 55 flex warrior and that was sooo flexible it really felt wrong. Personal preference of course.

1 hour ago, Leif said:

This is an interesting thread. I’m also about 155 lb but 5’11”. I use an 85 flex CCM stick, but I can’t bend it and I’m wondering if a more flexible stick would be better. Am I right that intermediate sticks can be extended as per seniors? If so I might pick one up. 

IMHO, you'd benefit from a lighter flex stick, and yeah intermediates can be extended. In most cases, they use the same plugs as seniors.

Just for some context, you're using the same flex stick as Ovechkin, someone who's 6'3 240lbs. You're using a stiffer stick than Matthews, who's 6'3 216lbs and uses an 80 flex. Kessel uses a 70 flex stick. He's 6' 200lbs. Brett Hull used a 62 flex stick. 

Yes, preference plays a big part in choosing a flex, but if you can't flex the stick one inch with almost zero effort, the stick is most likely too stiff, regardless of weight. 

I've tried playing with intermediate sticks, but as others have eluded to, I found it hard to catch passes. The stick would flex on hard passes and either let the puck slide under or recoil and fling it away. I also found the thinner shaft to be annoying, but that was probably all in my head and something I'd have gotten used to if I stuck with it. I still use it as a backup though, and enjoy ripping shots in warm-ups with it.

13 minutes ago, NiCnoK said:

I've tried playing with intermediate sticks, but as others have eluded to, I found it hard to catch passes. The stick would flex on hard passes and either let the puck slide under or recoil and fling it away. I also found the thinner shaft to be annoying, but that was probably all in my head and something I'd have gotten used to if I stuck with it. I still use it as a backup though, and enjoy ripping shots in warm-ups with it.

Try raising your lower hand to bring your hands closer together when catching hard passes with your intermediate stick. It automatically adds cushioning to the reception, and I think you'll be surprised at how much easier it is. You might even shout "Eureka!" BTW, I now play with a BASE 45 flex intermediate stick with around 5" cut off.

3 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

depends on the stick, but yes, the general idea is that the stick will be harder to flex the shorter it is.

No, actually,  all sticks become less flexible as you cut length off.

IMG_2984.JPG

1 hour ago, clarkiestooth said:

IMG_2984.JPG

I think he is referencing some sticks that have a zone at the top where you can cut and not affect the flex according to the manufacturer.

7 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

IMG_2984.JPG

I don't think I'm disagreeing with you here.  I said generally all sticks get harder to flex the more you cut them.  However, depending on the stick brand, how much you cut and how much it changes the flex varies a great deal.  Some sticks have "flex free" zones where you can cut a portion of the stick off and the flex doesn't change until after a certain amount of inches cut.  Other sticks, like CCM, you only "increase" the flex number a few points per inch/inches cut (note: you're not actually increasing the flex number - just changing the physics).  The chart you posted, is for Bauer sticks, which from my experience are the ones that get much harder to flex when cut.  So, it really depends on the stick.

11 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I don't think I'm disagreeing with you here.  I said generally all sticks get harder to flex the more you cut them.  However, depending on the stick brand, how much you cut and how much it changes the flex varies a great deal.  Some sticks have "flex free" zones where you can cut a portion of the stick off and the flex doesn't change until after a certain amount of inches cut.  Other sticks, like CCM, you only "increase" the flex number a few points per inch/inches cut (note: you're not actually increasing the flex number - just changing the physics).  The chart you posted, is for Bauer sticks, which from my experience are the ones that get much harder to flex when cut.  So, it really depends on the stick.

"Flex Free Zones" have a lot of gray area and general misconceptions. 

If you take any stick on the market and cut it, its going to be stiffer. Whether it has a "flex free zone" or not.

Your decreasing the length of the stick, as well as decreasing the space between your two hands, and where they are placed on the stick. Its impossible that the stick won't become stiffer as well as feel stiffer. 

The flex rating may not change when a stick is cut within that zone. However, its definitely going to be stiffer no matter where its cut. 

I've honestly never seen a huge variance in stiffness between brands when you lop off an inch or so. Some sticks (Warrior) tend to be whippier overall at each of their flex ratings, as opposed to others (Bauer) that tend to be a bit stiffer off the shelf. That trickles down into how they feel when you cut them. 

32 minutes ago, MyBoxersSayJoe said:

love my 55 and 65 flex pro stocks.  I'm 5'7" 145 lbs. Much easier to let the stick do the work.

You and I are similar sizes, but my 65 flex feels way too stiff. 

1 hour ago, Jamarquan said:

You and I are similar sizes, but my 65 flex feels way too stiff. 

I forgot my 55 at home for a practice last week, felt fine going between the two.  Shots were a little snappier with the 65.

27 minutes ago, MyBoxersSayJoe said:

I forgot my 55 at home for a practice last week, felt fine going between the two.  Shots were a little snappier with the 65.

Interesting, I fooled around with a few junior sticks I had at home and shots actually felt much better (accuracy, velocity, release, control), granted it might have just been an adjustment to go back to the larger shaft dimensions. The curves were all fairly similar mid/heel though.

23 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

Interesting, I fooled around with a few junior sticks I had at home and shots actually felt much better (accuracy, velocity, release, control), granted it might have just been an adjustment to go back to the larger shaft dimensions. The curves were all fairly similar mid/heel though.

Oh, mine are exactly identical shape/size to senior sticks.  So going between the flexes isn't an issue.