Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Aha, but it's not visible from the photo that those are any particular brand of skates. That one you'd have to know. Also, I said Tierney, but the Easton stick means that's probably wrong and it was Wingels instead.

Yes, it is Tommy Wingels. He switched out after coming off injured reserved.

Looking to do a conversion of my old VHs with some Sprung frames. Anyone do this yet? I've seen the Marsblade frames on VHs but have heard there are durability issues with those frames for league play.

On 6.2.2016 at 3:54 AM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Highlight to my fitting career.........

Ok I can sit back and enjoy just helping people now after watching PB score this goal in the skates I was lucky enough to be able to fit him in.

dems0p.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys, first time posting.  Do any of you know if you can request the stiff tendon guard instead of the flex tendon guard?  Any insight would be great!  Thanks!

On 6/7/2016 at 6:33 PM, MDavs7 said:

Hey guys, first time posting.  Do any of you know if you can request the stiff tendon guard instead of the flex tendon guard?  Any insight would be great!  Thanks!

No only 1 Tendon guard available

On 1/6/2016 at 1:35 PM, malcb33 said:

I really wasn't a fan of the metatarsal guard tongue. Not saying you won't be either, but the plastic insert comes up to high and widens at the top which makes it really stiff and inhibits forwards flexion as it locks up against the sides of the boot. Unfortunately this makes the skate feel more like a ski boot and is the exact opposite of what I was looking for.

VH recommends the Meta tongue for lace bite and protection, but I switched over to the regular tongue (after skating on the meta tongue a few times) at the store and like it way more.

3 hours ago, Nilizum said:

Any of you develop lace bite after skating for a while in your VHs?

No, but when I first baked them, I might have laced them too tight or flexed forward a bit before they cooled down. That caused a bit of a crease in the thermo-formable tongue. So then I took the tongue out and re-heated it by itself with a heat gun to smooth out the kink. It has been good ever since. That was for the original tongue. Which tongue do you have?

BTW, you don't have to crank down on the laces on these skates to have good support, just in case you're doing that.

Edited by Larry54
Added last sentence.
  • Like 1

I had the original tongue first, skated for a while, developed lace bite, and then i messaged VH about the issue. They were nice and gave me their metatarsal guarded tongue to try. The metatarsal tongue was thicker, so made a bit less volume, but at first it worked out really great (since tongue comes flat). Then after a while of skating, the tongue shape set in to my foot shape, and it came back. Thinking it's a depth issue, but not sure. I don't think punching out the problem area on the tongue would be a permanent solution, since after a while of skating the laces will make the tongue revert back. I do like to crank down on my laces not just for stability, but for better energy transfer and deeper turns.

Doesn't seem to matter if I tie the top parts too tight or not, but the pressure from the tongue seems to just be too much when I forward flex. There's one skate that doesn't give me lace bite so far, and that would be the Bauer Nexus skate which is notorious for their boot depth, however I don't like that boot too much since it's too wide in many places, and I have a bad case of accessory navicular syndrome.

VH skates so far seems to be the best solution for my accessory navicular syndrome, however this lace bite is killing my left foot. I can't even skate backwards anymore because it just digs into my now swollen anterior tibialis.

I have been reading a lot about people with lace bite issues, and most of them are actually solved with a new skate that had different depths for them. Some people like to put inserts or bunga pads, but I think that's just guarding it from the root of the problem that is a depth issue. Not 100% sure though, but all I know is skating hurts like hell now, and I probably already have tendonitis. :sad:

Edited by Nilizum

Have you tried a Forsberg pad? I developed sudden lace bite a while back and discovered that the irritation was because of how much the tendons bulge out when they contract to lift the foot, which happens when you forward flex in a skate. I just cut a 3/8" channel down the middle of the heel of an old footbed I wasn't using anymore and it was perfect. I couldn't tell it was in there, but the pain was completely gone. I have no idea why tongues aren't built with that channel to begin with, allowing the tendons to flex without having to face the majority of the brunt of the pressure from the laces over the tongue. If the volume is borderline for you, maybe altering the tongue would be sufficient for you to continue in your VH's.

Here's a link to pictures of the pad I made, in case you want to try something similar: http://s284.photobucket.com/user/prm776/library/?sort=3&page=1

• Like 1

Forsberg pads work really well, I skated with them for many years until I moved to a different solution. Pipe insulation also works well as material for the forsberg pad.

Alternatively try a lace extender (which is what I now use), either make your own or buy them from http://www.greatsaves.org/

This thread will give you lots of detail as to how they work 

13 hours ago, flip12 said:

Have you tried a Forsberg pad? I developed sudden lace bite a while back and discovered that the irritation was because of how much the tendons bulge out when they contract to lift the foot, which happens when you forward flex in a skate. I just cut a 3/8" channel down the middle of the heel of an old footbed I wasn't using anymore and it was perfect. I couldn't tell it was in there, but the pain was completely gone. I have no idea why tongues aren't built with that channel to begin with, allowing the tendons to flex without having to face the majority of the brunt of the pressure from the laces over the tongue. If the volume is borderline for you, maybe altering the tongue would be sufficient for you to continue in your VH's.

Here's a link to pictures of the pad I made, in case you want to try something similar: http://s284.photobucket.com/user/prm776/library/?sort=3&page=1

Bauer used to have the channel built into their tongues in the '90s.

• Like 1

My first two pairs of skates were 1997 Bauer Supreme 3000's and 5000's. I can't remember too well what the tongues were like--did they still have the channel then or was it prior to that?

Edited by flip12
forgot the year.

On 7/5/2016 at 3:46 AM, flip12 said:

My first two pairs of skates were 1997 Bauer Supreme 3000's and 5000's. I can't remember too well what the tongues were like--did they still have the channel then or was it prior to that?

I think the Bauer Supreme 3000's had the "Formfit Plus" tongue with the channel.

Bauer Supreme 3000 with the Formfit Plus Tongue (blue accent)

Another view of the bauer supreme custom 3000 with the Formfit Plus tongue, blue accent

The tongue was 3 main pieces of felt in order to have the channel.

Edited by ktang
Found another link

Mine were the later 3000's, with the green color accents and the 5000's were the top of the line.

bs3000.gif

I'm not sure if it had that tongue design still.

On 7/4/2016 at 11:17 AM, Nilizum said:

I had the original tongue first, skated for a while, developed lace bite, and then i messaged VH about the issue. They were nice and gave me their metatarsal guarded tongue to try. The metatarsal tongue was thicker, so made a bit less volume, but at first it worked out really great (since tongue comes flat). Then after a while of skating, the tongue shape set in to my foot shape, and it came back. Thinking it's a depth issue, but not sure. I don't think punching out the problem area on the tongue would be a permanent solution, since after a while of skating the laces will make the tongue revert back. I do like to crank down on my laces not just for stability, but for better energy transfer and deeper turns.

Doesn't seem to matter if I tie the top parts too tight or not, but the pressure from the tongue seems to just be too much when I forward flex. There's one skate that doesn't give me lace bite so far, and that would be the Bauer Nexus skate which is notorious for their boot depth, however I don't like that boot too much since it's too wide in many places, and I have a bad case of accessory navicular syndrome.

VH skates so far seems to be the best solution for my accessory navicular syndrome, however this lace bite is killing my left foot. I can't even skate backwards anymore because it just digs into my now swollen anterior tibialis.

I have been reading a lot about people with lace bite issues, and most of them are actually solved with a new skate that had different depths for them. Some people like to put inserts or bunga pads, but I think that's just guarding it from the root of the problem that is a depth issue. Not 100% sure though, but all I know is skating hurts like hell now, and I probably already have tendonitis. :sad:

I'm sorry to hear that you're suffering from this. I had a pretty terrible case of lace bite at the end of last year. It wasn't until I switched from Vapor skates to Supreme that the problem started to  subside. I had my dermatologist inject cortisone into the problem area as well. That greatly assisted in the healing process. I'd suggest getting a deeper skate to start alongside a bunga pad. Once you've confirmed this is relieving the issue, visit your doctor to have him/her assess your issue. Continue to use the bunga pad until the problem heals. Taking time off greatly assists as well. It's a terrible feeling knowing you have a game coming up and you'll be in pain the whole game. There's hope though. Message me if you need any help. Good luck!