Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

I'm curious about the VH Boots and how specific I can get with customizing them. I'm recovering from a broken ankle and long story short my ankle is and from what I'm being told will continue to be swollen. So with that said; I was wanting to know if I could order skates that would fit one fat ankle and one normal ankle. Also was wanting to know if you can specify the depth of the boot when ordering. I would prefer something that fit like a Supreme rather than a Vapor in depth if that's possible.

17 minutes ago, A2rhino said:

I'm curious about the VH Boots and how specific I can get with customizing them. I'm recovering from a broken ankle and long story short my ankle is and from what I'm being told will continue to be swollen. So with that said; I was wanting to know if I could order skates that would fit one fat ankle and one normal ankle. Also was wanting to know if you can specify the depth of the boot when ordering. I would prefer something that fit like a Supreme rather than a Vapor in depth if that's possible.

Both of those requests should be easy. The bigger foot will be accounted for in your measuremets. I specified that the eyelets be "cut back" to accomodate low volume feet and ankles.   I would shoot them an email. 

Thanks for the suggestion and info.  Have these skates been holding up well for everyone? I'm a beer league guy and hope to soon be back on the ice 2-3 time a week.

20 hours ago, A2rhino said:

Thanks for the suggestion and info.  Have these skates been holding up well for everyone? I'm a beer league guy and hope to soon be back on the ice 2-3 time a week.

Yep, been in mine for a year and a half, skating 2-3 times a week and they have held up just fine by me. Couldn't be happier!

Has anyone had trouble contacting VH lately? I emailed Rob last week and have not heard back from him as of yet. Very strange because he normally gets back to me right away.

So I'm considering the switch to VH from Vapor 1X. I did a search but couldn't find what I was after..

Do those of you who use Superfeet (yellow) specify this when you order and do you still use them now? I'm just curious if there are considerations made for them when you send your measurements in or if the VH process removes the need for that heel support/lift you get from superfeet. 

I've been using superfeet for a very long time and every time I go without them I just don't feel right.

1 hour ago, SCATMAN said:

So I'm considering the switch to VH from Vapor 1X. I did a search but couldn't find what I was after..

Do those of you who use Superfeet (yellow) specify this when you order and do you still use them now? I'm just curious if there are considerations made for them when you send your measurements in or if the VH process removes the need for that heel support/lift you get from superfeet. 

I've been using superfeet for a very long time and every time I go without them I just don't feel right.

I used to use superfeet but honestly I haven't needed to with VH. I wonder if it's because it fits your foot so well you don't need the plastic supports under the heel to cradle your heel? I have no idea. 

Either way feel free to specify and they will recommend an adjustment if necessary. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I used to use superfeet but honestly I haven't needed to with VH. I wonder if it's because it fits your foot so well you don't need the plastic supports under the heel to cradle your heel? I have no idea. 

Either way feel free to specify and they will recommend an adjustment if necessary. 

I was told that the mold of the skate bottom imparts your pronation as if the Superfeet were built in. If you liked Superfeet you most likely had some over pronation.

The KHL All-Star Weekend is like a VH Parade:

1383876_2.jpg

Pavel Francouz, Ryan Stoa, Francis Pare, and Brandon Kozun.

And there are at least a few more: Afinogenov, Gilroy, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 218hockey said:

Wow, a Ryan Stoa sighting.

I remember watching him at the U. Was the the same class as Kessel, I can't remember?

Anyone used and have feedback on the new VH holder? I am looking to transition out of my T-blades for the first time in 16 years and I am trying to decide between the LS2 and VH holder. I really want to use step steel so I am not considering the edge holder as I can't get step steel for it here in the US.

I totally geeked out on Saturday. We had a chance to watch warmups from the glass (we have not really had a chance this year to make it to games early) and I noticed that 3 guys on the Utica Comets are using VH skates. I start telling my kid (who is 6) and he just looks back at me like "settle down old man" lol

A625113E-D08C-4418-9CC7-26D1D4BBF49A.jpg

AD8B700C-8034-4C5D-988F-8B6D304AB1A4.jpg

• Like 2

If you watch the videos on how they make the boots, you'd see that as well.

They're stitched where the stitching shows on the interior. Otherwise, they're adhered to the side of the boot one at a time and pressed in with a hammer.

Quick question...so I've basically decided on ordering a pair of VH skates after reading through this forum and others. I have very flat feet that are at their widest around the ankle bone och over my (non existing) arch. Due to this I have always had a problem with skates fitting badly with severe pain as a consequence. I am currently in a pair of CCM Tacks skates in a EE last which fit well and the pain and discomfort is minimal, but the prospect of a completely pain free skate very convincing.

So on to my question. What holders should I go for. As I am currently in CCMs i am using the SB +4.0 and I don't have any real complaints (except loosing one of the blade screws). I can't really remember if they feel any different than the TUUK LS2 i had on my previous skates (most likely I was in too much pain to notice the feel of the holders). When I started skating in my CCMs I felt that there was a little to much forward pitch but my LHS reprofiled the blades to remedy this. However, the Tacks has a pretty aggressive stance in the skate itself so this may have been the reason I felt like I was pitched forward.

Therefore I am confused as to what holder to chose: LS2 LS Edge or Step. Does anybody have any input/experience between the various holders. 

Any help appreciated, really want to get an order in this season.

5 hours ago, Squid02 said:

Quick question...so I've basically decided on ordering a pair of VH skates after reading through this forum and others. I have very flat feet that are at their widest around the ankle bone och over my (non existing) arch. Due to this I have always had a problem with skates fitting badly with severe pain as a consequence. I am currently in a pair of CCM Tacks skates in a EE last which fit well and the pain and discomfort is minimal, but the prospect of a completely pain free skate very convincing.

So on to my question. What holders should I go for. As I am currently in CCMs i am using the SB +4.0 and I don't have any real complaints (except loosing one of the blade screws). I can't really remember if they feel any different than the TUUK LS2 i had on my previous skates (most likely I was in too much pain to notice the feel of the holders). When I started skating in my CCMs I felt that there was a little to much forward pitch but my LHS reprofiled the blades to remedy this. However, the Tacks has a pretty aggressive stance in the skate itself so this may have been the reason I felt like I was pitched forward.

Therefore I am confused as to what holder to chose: LS2 LS Edge or Step. Does anybody have any input/experience between the various holders. 

According to CCM, SB+4 is the same forward pitch as Tuuk holders. The CCM boots however are angled forward more than bauer boots (especially RibCor) creating the feel of more aggressive forward pitch. I am pretty sure that VH can make the boot with the pitch of Tacks or say Nexus. You'd just need to mention this during the ordering process I guess. Therefore, you can get whichever holder you prefer. On additional note, I believe that Bauer instead of making their holders 4mm taller to match SB4+, went with idea of making taller steel (LS4 which is 3mm taller) giving the choice to the skater to have taller skate or not. So I am not sure what you want here. VH also can put Step holders, but you need to keep in mind that it would be only the less available Step steel from there on for you which may or may not be a desired thing. I am sure once you start your communications with VH many of these concerns will be cleared up for you.   

11 hours ago, Squid02 said:

I've found a lot of customers seem to prefer the feel of the CCM SB 4.0 and VH-Step holders, citing the holders feel stiffer and seem to transfer energy transfer.

I will admit that the CCM 4.0 holders, being one of the few modern-height/pitch holders available to us that can take aftermarket steel, has a serious advantage for customisability.

If you don't swap steel frequently, like the pitch of Edge/4.0 holders, and want Step or BlackEdge steel, this would be the route to go.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, syinx said:

I've found a lot of customers seem to prefer the feel of the CCM SB 4.0 and VH-Step holders, citing the holders feel stiffer and seem to transfer energy transfer.

I will admit that the CCM 4.0 holders, being one of the few modern-height/pitch holders available to us that can take aftermarket steel, has a serious advantage for customisability.

If you don't swap steel frequently, like the pitch of Edge/4.0 holders, and want Step or BlackEdge steel, this would be the route to go.

Which one is the stiffer holder according to their experience, the more often preferred SB 4.0 or the VH/Step holders? Can't tell from your first sentence.

Edited by flip12

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

Which one is the stiffer holder according to their experience, the more often preferred SB 4.0 or the VH/Step holders? Can't tell from your first sentence.

I've found that the SB 4.0 and VH are comparable.  Definitely stiffer than the Tuuk by feel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, syinx said:

I've found that the SB 4.0 and VH are comparable.  Definitely stiffer than the Tuuk by feel.

Duh, sorry I can't read. I misread the post I quoted you on above more than once...I shouldn't allow myself near the computer before coffee :P

I was wondering if anybody else ordered skates at beginning of year? I know they busy but they never responded to any of my emails, but got an email today saying my new skates should be to me Tuesday. Is this standard for them?

Edited by Dman692420

Hey 

New here. Joined for this board. Just got my VH skates only 3 weeks after ordering. First impression of the skate were awesome. Feel very comfortable on the ice. Only one ice time so far and really impressed. No break in time at all. One thing I did notice after the game was my toes were a little numb, I'm guessing I tied them too tight and using wax laces maybe overkill. Also I noticed that the wrap is so pronounced on the last 3 eyelets that it's really difficult to get my laces through the eyelets once the skates are on my feet(standard felt tongue). Any ideas on how to fix that?  Or is that just part of having the proper fit of the skate. Fit like a dream. Really happy I made the switch. No more pain.  

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Chip N Chase said:

Hey 

New here. Joined for this board. Just got my VH skates only 3 weeks after ordering. First impression of the skate were awesome. Feel very comfortable on the ice. Only one ice time so far and really impressed. No break in time at all. One thing I did notice after the game was my toes were a little numb, I'm guessing I tied them too tight and using wax laces maybe overkill. Also I noticed that the wrap is so pronounced on the last 3 eyelets that it's really difficult to get my laces through the eyelets once the skates are on my feet(standard felt tongue). Any ideas on how to fix that?  Or is that just part of having the proper fit of the skate. Fit like a dream. Really happy I made the switch. No more pain.  

Thanks 

I find it a bit difficult to lace the eyelets with the skate on my foot too but it's only the top 2 eyelets that need to be unlaced to get the skate on or off, so it's not a big deal to me. I've also gone to lacing the top eyelet out-to-in for other reasons and that seems to make it a bit easier to lace.