Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

7 hours ago, Sticktape said:

Yes both pair had Tuuk runners, I didn’t have the steel in when I weighed them as I was able to use the same size steel steel in the True Skate.. 165 g is approx 1/3 of a pound but the comfort is worth the added weight.  

Probably the best method when comparing weights, unless the same steel is used on both. Having 1X's myself, there is a considerable difference in weight when the runner is removed.

32 minutes ago, number_22 said:

Recently got back into playing hockey and was in need of new skates, so I decided to go for the True's, some custom appointments on these:

prUmdHg.jpg

Looking forward to test them asap.

What's the opinion, do these have to be baked, or can they be used straight out of the box?

They absolutely have to be baked. I’d be shocked if you could even get your foot in them without it. There’s no reason to not bake them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I would have merged this with the main True/VH thread but felt it was unique and as such should have its own thread. 

People already have the skate.  Those types of threads on MSH are typically done for product that hasn't hit the market yet.

29 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

They absolutely have to be baked. I’d be shocked if you could even get your foot in them without it. There’s no reason to not bake them.

Thanks! Interesting, I was told they don't need to be baked... Alas, I can fit them even unbaked.

But I will eventually get them baked in that case.

18 minutes ago, number_22 said:

Thanks! Interesting, I was told they don't need to be baked... Alas, I can fit them even unbaked.

That's shocking. I haven't baked mine yet and I can barely get my foot into the skate. It reminds me of the Mako II is so many ways. All of which are good. 

46 minutes ago, number_22 said:

Whoever told you that was wrong. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, number_22 said:

Recently got back into playing hockey and was in need of new skates, so I decided to go for the True's, some custom appointments on these:

prUmdHg.jpg

Looking forward to test them asap.

What's the opinion, do these have to be baked, or can they be used straight out of the box?

Interesting you went with LS holders, not LS Edge or VH/Step holders. Any reason why? 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I just noticed yours look slightly different than mine. Specifically in the heel of the skate. You can see the differences in my video and IG pics. 

13 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Interesting you went with LS holders, not LS Edge or VH/Step holders. Any reason why? 

I've heard a lot of complaints about the LS Edge from fellow players, the blades apparently often start to get kind of wobbly.

I've been using Tuuk holders for many years, so I chose to go with them instead of the Step holders, even though the Steps seem to be good.

14 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

I just noticed yours look slightly different than mine. Specifically in the heel of the skate. You can see the differences in my video and IG pics. 

Mine are VH, you have True. Mine are also goalie skates :P 

5 hours ago, number_22 said:

I've heard a lot of complaints about the LS Edge from fellow players, the blades apparently often start to get kind of wobbly.

I've been using Tuuk holders for many years, so I chose to go with them instead of the Step holders, even though the Steps seem to be good.

Yeah, I am a fan of the idea of the LS Edge but also have been bit by steel popping out after blocking a shot and also the steel constantly clicking when I walk. I dont hear it on the ice. The VH/Step holders look legit though and are very similar in ways to the LS holder. 

The closest True fit center to me is a Pure Hockey outside of DC, should I go there or is it worth it to take the 4ish hour drive to West side Hockey in NYC that I hear has lots of experience with the fitting ?

16 minutes ago, itslunchtime said:

The closest True fit center to me is a Pure Hockey outside of DC, should I go there or is it worth it to take the 4ish hour drive to West side Hockey in NYC that I hear has lots of experience with the fitting ?

I'd go to Westside if you can pull it off. I plan on going there once I'm ready to get my own pair. One guy I play pickup hockey with got his there and had nothing but good things to say about his experience. Mind you there are multiple PH/GH within an hour's drive of us here the Philadelphia area. Better safe than sorry (within reason of course).

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610

1 hour ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

I'd go to Westside if you can pull it off. I plan on going there once I'm ready to get my own pair. One guy I play pickup hockey with got his there and had nothing but good things to say about his experience. Mind you there are multiple PH/GH within an hour's drive of us here the Philadelphia area. Better safe than sorry (within reason of course).

I will also testify that Westside is pretty damn awesome

• Like 3

10 hours ago, number_22 said:

Good on you for going with the ls2 holders. I started with the step. Then Two sets of ls edge with clicking and movement issues, so finally did what I should have done since day one and slapped on the ls2 holders. 

Edited by Sniper9

3 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I was considering ways to implement my PowerFoot with my new True skates and instead of using velcro and all of these others methods I read that others have done I figured to just attach them to the tongues.

Are you using the Mako/VH thin Powerfoot inserts?

19 hours ago, flip12 said:

Are you using the Mako/VH thin Powerfoot inserts?

For me, I found regular Powerfoots work fine.  Then again, I like my toe box really snug, especially since Powerfoots eventually "pack out"

Edited by shoot_the_goalie
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2018 at 1:28 AM, Nicholas G said:

I have them. You can see them in my video.

FYI...looks like you got 2 sets of metatarsal tongues (T-Guard), as I did not see the standard tongues in your video.  Let me know if you like the metatarsals and if they provide enough forward flex.

1 hour ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

FYI...looks like you got 2 sets of metatarsal tongues (T-Guard), as I did not see the standard tongues in your video.  Let me know if you like the metatarsals and if they provide enough forward flex.

You are correct. I was sent two sets of metatarsal tongues instead of a regular tongue and a metatarsal. They are sending me the standard tongues. Overall, I like them but find they do slightly inhibit forward flex. However, they are not broken in yet so I guess I will be able to make a final determination after a few more skates. 

1 hour ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

For me, I found regular Powerfoots work fine.  Then again, I like my toe box really snug, especially since Powerfoots eventually "pack out"

Regular PowerFoot. I like my toe box to have zero space. 

• Like 1