Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

You can get them through true. I saw the order sheet for them from a lhs in my area. 

And just a pic..

The plot thickens... I called VH/True, and they confirmed that Blacksteel is not an option directly from them through the ordering process.  The woman I spoke to also stated that they don't even carry any Blacksteel at the moment, but that I could order it from Step directly.

@Sniper9, was the form you saw from True or developed by your LHS, and was it a Pure Hockey location by chance?  I'm wondering if that's something they offer as a local option, similar to local installation of Tuuks and LS steel if you forgo the Step/True holders.

6 hours ago, MrBrownstone said:

The plot thickens... I called VH/True, and they confirmed that Blacksteel is not an option directly from them through the ordering process.  The woman I spoke to also stated that they don't even carry any Blacksteel at the moment, but that I could order it from Step directly.

@Sniper9, was the form you saw from True or developed by your LHS, and was it a Pure Hockey location by chance?  I'm wondering if that's something they offer as a local option, similar to local installation of Tuuks and LS steel if you forgo the Step/True holders.

Cyclone Taylor. Maybe it was through step but it looked like a true order form. I could be wrong. Regardless, at least you know you can and how to get them. 

• Thanks 1

When I placed my order I was told Step Blacksteel was not an option. If I wanted it I had to order the skates without steel and go through Step directly for the Blacksteel. I called Step and they said 272 would be about 6 weeks. Obviously, I went with regular Step steel because that's a hell of a long wait.  

• Like 1

I could see it being the order form for the store. We give people steel options if we are putting on holders in house after market. LS2 LS3 LS4 Step and black Step

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 8:11 AM, MrBrownstone said:

Appreciate all the input - will stick with the regular Step and upgrade later down the line, especially if there's a long lead time.

You will be very happy with the factory Step steel. The fact that you can buy 3 pairs of regular step for the cost of one pair of Blacksteel is nice cause then you can change out steel every game if you want, rotating them out. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Can we all advertise on here now??

First off, if you would like to advertise, we can definitely send you a media kit with our rates.  We've run advertisements since 2011.  Email admin@modsquadhockey.com for details.

Secondly, there were several people in this thread that couldn't find it.  My distro told me they had limited stock, and something like from here on out all of that steel was going to go through True.  I'm sure that member was PMd several times by people who could get it for him.  I figured I would give him an option.

People in the business have made a name for themselves, picked up clients and have sold numerous goods and services (either through the Gear Exchange or the PM grey market) for 14 years.  Meanwhile, I have to find ways to keep the site afloat so that you guys can continue to do that.  Coupled with the fact that I paid a ton of money to Chadd to own the site outright a year ago.  I haven't drawn a salary since then because of that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nicktsigos said:

How are you guys liking the integrated shot blockers? I’m on the fence more towards ordering them then not. Curious is anyone has any blaring pros/cons. 

I came from MLX skates and it is stiffer which was hard to get used to.  I took a slap shot off my inner ankle that would of probably broke it, instead it was just a deep bruise.   After that I am glad I got it.   The same thing happened to two of my teammates this year and one fractured his in two places.

It will make them last longer too, if you get a flexible tongue you might not notice much of a difference.  This is my experience but guys coming from other skates might not notice much of a difference in stiffness.

Edited by BureKovy

I have the VH Skates. Got them a few months ago. They are super comfortable. I need to wear a Junior skate because my foot size is just a tad shy of the Senior skates. Due to wearing a Junior skate, True does not produce their custom skate holder for Junior skates. Therefore I can't have step steel. I have the Tukk LightSpeed Edge with Bauer LS3 Steel. I hear I can get step steel for my Tukk holder but currently due to Patents they are not allowed to be sold in the United States. I would love to get my hands on Step Steel for my Tukk holder on my True Skate. 

Also being a recently retired goalie due to hip problems, I opted to get the shot protection on my True skates because I block shots out of pure habit. They add a tad more weight but worth it in the end. I took a hard shot to the actual tongue two nights ago which i felt for a split second but was able enough to spring ahead of the defenseman to get a breakaway goal. I doubt the shot protection had any play in that particular shot but I have taken shots to the ankle and spung loose right after without a problem. Some guys even asked me how the hell I was able to take such a shot and act like nothing happened. If you like to block shots like i do, I would get them. I also have the standard tounge as well. 

I was told by my local hockey shop that True Holder itself weighs more than a Tukk holder with the LS3 steel.... I am having a hard time believing that but who knows. They also said with having the Tukk holder on my skate, that if anything happened to my holder or steel, I can walk into just about any proshop to them fixed. If a skate would of had the True Holder, you better either have an extra pair of holders and steel on hand in case anything happened. Not every shop is going to have Steel for the True Holder. It's most likely going to need a custom order from True. 

So in the end, if i snag Step steel for my Tukk holder, I would be happy and keep the LS3 as a backup steel. 

Edited by hkygoalie

I was just scanned now I need to play the waiting game.   Went with integrated shot blockers, white felt tongues, and will be tossing TUUK edge holders.  Hockey Monkey did the scan and was concerned about the holders fitting.   I have set of 280's that I was going to toss onto my super tacks and I wear a 9 in Bauer, and 9.5 in CCM so I'm assuming I should be fine.

1 hour ago, nicktsigos said:

I was just scanned now I need to play the waiting game.   Went with integrated shot blockers, white felt tongues, and will be tossing TUUK edge holders.  Hockey Monkey did the scan and was concerned about the holders fitting.   I have set of 280's that I was going to toss onto my super tacks and I wear a 9 in Bauer, and 9.5 in CCM so I'm assuming I should be fine.

That's assuming the Bauer size 9 were properly fitted. If your toes brush the Bauer toecaps, your assumption is probably a pretty safe one.

18 hours ago, hkygoalie said:

....I was told by my local hockey shop that True Holder itself weighs more than a Tukk holder with the LS3 steel.... I am having a hard time believing that but who knows. They also said with having the Tukk holder on my skate, that if anything happened to my holder or steel, I can walk into just about any proshop to them fixed. If a skate would of had the True Holder, you better either have an extra pair of holders and steel on hand in case anything happened. Not every shop is going to have Steel for the True Holder. It's most likely going to need a custom order from True. 

So in the end, if i snag Step steel for my Tukk holder, I would be happy and keep the LS3 as a backup steel. 

Good advice from the shop. Ease of use and repair to me far outweighs other benefits.

You can find Step for Edge holders on eBay. Roughly the same price as LS3. I believe Tyden Steel is available in the US, the MSH Pro shop guy might have more info.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stick9 said:

Good advice from the shop. Ease of use and repair to me far outweighs other benefits.

You can find Step for Edge holders on eBay. Roughly the same price as LS3. I believe Tyden Steel is available in the US, the MSH Pro shop guy might have more info.

Yep, I picked up Step Steel Blacksteel on ebay last night for my Tukk LS Edge holders for cheaper than if a local US shop would of carried them. About 125.00 shipped from canada vs $149 or 169.99 plus tax in a shop here in US. I'm excited for the steel!!

Edited by hkygoalie

On 4/2/2018 at 7:16 PM, nicktsigos said:

How are you guys liking the integrated shot blockers? I’m on the fence more towards ordering them then not. Curious is anyone has any blaring pros/cons. 

I have the shot blockers and wish I did not. The added weight and stiffness is too much for a person who is not playing at a professional level. To put it in perspective, my skates with shot blockers weight 2.25lbs when dry. That's fairly substantial. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/R55oL9Ed0sLc4zEI2

My previous skates, JetSpeed FT1 weighed 1.80lbs  with Step steel. 

Edited by Nicholas G
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 8:50 AM, stick9 said:

You can find Step and Tydan pretty much everywhere now, even in the US. Companies like Massive and Flare are getting more popular too. 

54 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

You can find Step and Tydan pretty much everywhere now, even in the US. Companies like Massive and Flare are getting more popular too. 

I've yet to see Step for edge anywhere other than eBay....and believe me, I've looked.

2 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I've yet to see Step for edge anywhere other than eBay....and believe me, I've looked.

I travel a lot and have seen it at various shops. No big box retailers like Pure or Hockey Monkey. Smaller shops. 

2 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

I travel a lot and have seen it at various shops. No big box retailers like Pure or Hockey Monkey. Smaller shops. 

I'm guessing those smaller shops aren't getting their Step Edge from Step.

18 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I'm guessing those smaller shops aren't getting their Step Edge from Step.

Likely not.

FYI: I own a shop in Seattle and Step won't sell LS Edge to us so we use Tydan and Massive currently. 

5 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I have the shot blockers and wish I did not. The added weight and stiffness is too much for a person who is not playing at a professional level. To put it in perspective, my skates with shot blockers weight 2.25lbs when dry. That's fairly substantial. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/R55oL9Ed0sLc4zEI2

My previous skates, JetSpeed FT1 weighed 1.80lbs  with Step steel. 

Playing devil's advocate, but you could say they are also beneficial to your average rec player cause 1), they'll last longer due to the increased stiffness, 2), they'll protect better, and 3) most rec players honestly aren't affected by the weight differential when on the ice.

9 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Playing devil's advocate, but you could say they are also beneficial to your average rec player cause 1), they'll last longer due to the increased stiffness, 2), they'll protect better, and 3) most rec players honestly aren't affected by the weight differential when on the ice.

Completely agree for at least points #2 and #3. I mean, I agree with #1 too but I'm not sure that matters as much. Stiffer doesn't equal better.