Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Seems counter-intuitive to do this to a custom skate known for it's "wrap" but after my heel lift issues improved some with skipping the top eyelet (thanks everyone) I decided to mess around with a heat gun.  

I noticed that the ankle at the very top of my old supremes was splayed out wide, and I never had heel lift issues (despite having at least the same amount if not more dead space than the trues) So, I decided to open up the "wrap" at the very top of the True boots slightly, and this seemed to help even more.  Noticed virtually no heel issues during the first skate with them.  

I actually think the conforming wrap wasn't allowing me to flex forward enough and almost acting like a hinge point.  Instead of flexing forward and my heel driving back, I was essentially levering on the front of the boot and bringing my heel up.  

Dont' know if this makes any sense, or if I just got lucky....but these two tricks seemed to have helped significantly and thought I would pass it along. 

Edited by navy21
typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, navy21 said:

Seems counter-intuitive to do this to a custom skate known for it's "wrap" but after my heel lift issues improved some with skipping the top eyelet (thanks everyone) I decided to mess around with a heat gun.  

I noticed that the ankle at the very top of my old supremes was splayed out wide, and I never had heel lift issues (despite having at least the same amount if not more dead space than the trues) So, I decided to open up the "wrap" at the very top of the True boots slightly, and this seemed to help even more.  Noticed virtually no heel issues during the first skate with them.  

I actually think the conforming wrap wasn't allowing me to flex forward enough and almost acting like a hinge point.  Instead of flexing forward and my heel driving back, I was essentially levering on the front of the boot and bringing my heel up.  

Dont' know if this makes any sense, or if I just got lucky....but these two tricks seemed to have helped significantly and thought I would pass it along. 

That's awesome news! 

1 hour ago, navy21 said:

I think you're onto something here!  I noticed the same thing when comparing them to my old Bauer One.9's.

The first time I skated in my VH/True's I laced them all the way up and felt like I was in casts.  I have no idea how people can skate like that.  If I get my heel lift issues sorted, I could probably skate two eyelets down because of how stiff they are.

Edited by Superjet

So, it's been awhile since I have posted and I have had my pair of True Skates for about 7 months now and they have performed and fit quite well, but I do have a question that I was hoping I could get some help with. My current CCM custom insoles that I use in the skate are starting to wear out. I see that they have released a new version of the CCM custom insoles and I am interested in trying them out. If I purchase them, should I rebake the skates as well? I'm worried about messing up the current fit of the skates as I pretty pleased with them as they are. 

1 hour ago, chocks86 said:

So, it's been awhile since I have posted and I have had my pair of True Skates for about 7 months now and they have performed and fit quite well, but I do have a question that I was hoping I could get some help with. My current CCM custom insoles that I use in the skate are starting to wear out. I see that they have released a new version of the CCM custom insoles and I am interested in trying them out. If I purchase them, should I rebake the skates as well? I'm worried about messing up the current fit of the skates as I pretty pleased with them as they are. 

If you expect a difference then maybe, but I’d try them without first. 

Dear enlightened members of MSH, I am in the process of getting new skates and would like some info/opinions.

Mostly officiating at this point so comfort and durability are my top priorities. Usually on the ice around 40-60 hours per week but I’m meticulous about skate upkeep and tend to get a lot of life outta my skates.

For those of you that have used True/VH for an extended period of time, how have the skates held up? 

My LHS told me that True offers one freebie fix/tweak. Beyond that, how difficult/ expensive is it to have the skates worked on by True?

How does Bauer handle issues if something is off about the skate/ tweaks need to be made?

Anything I should know/ keep in mind when being fit for either?

If anyone has any additional info they think I should have, please let me know.

I've never heard of this one tweak from true and weve done over 100 pairs of customs at our shop, including one or two pairs that needed to be totally redone. Their customer service is top notch and this kind of sounds like the shop is being lazy.

in terms of durability, it all depends on the care of the skate. I have noticed that VH and True skates begin to look very worn down alot quicker than certain other brands though they are usually still very stiff and usable. 

I've only dealt with the pro rep for Bauer, he stopped in when he was in town for the pro team, so I cant comment there.

I dont have anything bad to say about ccm customer service too.

The thing to remember about how issues are dealt is how the LHS handles them, not how the manufacturer handles them. It's the difference between "watch our YouTube video and take a heat gun to that area" and "yeah that isnt right send them back we'll start making a replacement pair today."

23 hours ago, jared9356 said:

My LHS told me that True offers one freebie fix/tweak. Beyond that, how difficult/ expensive is it to have the skates worked on by True?

Did you go see Chase at Pure Hockey?

Just now, jared9356 said:

Can’t remember names to save my life. Was at the PH in Plano, TX.

Cool, that's where I got my feet scanned. He was good and super helpful. If he wasn't college or high school age then that's who did it; everyone else that I saw working there was rather young.

2 minutes ago, CigarScott said:

Cool, that's where I got my feet scanned. He was good and super helpful. If he wasn't college or high school age then that's who did it; everyone else that I saw working there was rather young.

For True? 

If so how long have you had them and how are they holding up?

1 minute ago, jared9356 said:

For True? 

If so how long have you had them and how are they holding up?

Yes, True.

I don't have them yet as I just put the order in on July 14 and True stated to me the other day that turn around right now is four weeks. I hope they show up there sometime next week and they install my holders on them and have them in my hands in the next two weeks.

I just got word that my skates showed up in Dallas today so based on me ordering them on Saturday, July 14, they're right at four weeks, when you factor in shipping from Winnipeg to Texas.

On 8/10/2018 at 12:37 PM, adam14 said:

I've never heard of this one tweak from true and weve done over 100 pairs of customs at our shop, including one or two pairs that needed to be totally redone. Their customer service is top notch and this kind of sounds like the shop is being lazy.

in terms of durability, it all depends on the care of the skate. I have noticed that VH and True skates begin to look very worn down alot quicker than certain other brands though they are usually still very stiff and usable. 

I've only dealt with the pro rep for Bauer, he stopped in when he was in town for the pro team, so I cant comment there.

I dont have anything bad to say about ccm customer service too.

The thing to remember about how issues are dealt is how the LHS handles them, not how the manufacturer handles them. It's the difference between "watch our YouTube video and take a heat gun to that area" and "yeah that isnt right send them back we'll start making a replacement pair today."

An employee at the other LHS said they had a hard time working with True as far as alterations/issues. Also said that the quality control was rapidly declining (probably referring to skates looking sloppy). And this guy was actually pushing True over Bauer/CCM. I get the sense from this forum that they’re fairly easy to work with.

In your experience, where do the skates generally start to break down? And I mean in terms of the integrity of the boot/eyelets/liner. Cosmetics aren’t nearly as concerning to me.

apart from eyelets and the leather which is usually just cosmetic the boots tend to get soft rather than break down, think old s15/s17 from Easton, you'll eventually be able to twist them in your ends and really push in the ankles.

2 hours ago, adam14 said:

apart from eyelets and the leather which is usually just cosmetic the boots tend to get soft rather than break down, think old s15/s17 from Easton, you'll eventually be able to twist them in your ends and really push in the ankles.

Does that hold true with the boots that have the added protection? Figured they’d maintain stiffness much longer.

1 hour ago, jared9356 said:

Does that hold true with the boots that have the added protection? Figured they’d maintain stiffness much longer.

That's a good question. I didn't get the shot blockers in mine and they didn't ask for what stiffness level that you want. They did ask for my weight so perhaps they adjust the stiffness to your weight, ex: someone weighing 275 lbs gets a much stiffer skate than someone that weighs 175 lbs?

On 8/9/2018 at 11:46 AM, jared9356 said:

Dear enlightened members of MSH, I am in the process of getting new skates and would like some info/opinions.

Mostly officiating at this point so comfort and durability are my top priorities. Usually on the ice around 40-60 hours per week but I’m meticulous about skate upkeep and tend to get a lot of life outta my skates.

For those of you that have used True/VH for an extended period of time, how have the skates held up? 

How does Bauer handle issues if something is off about the skate/ tweaks need to be made?

Anything I should know/ keep in mind when being fit for either?

If anyone has any additional info they think I should have, please let me know.

True will make a customer a new pair of skates if they are not able to get the ones they made the first time fit you properly. I have only seen a few people ever need to have a new pair of skates made.

To be entirely transparent, I own a hockey shop and we sell True custom skate. I was one of the few people who did request to have a second pair made. This was not due to any quality control issues or defects with the skate. There was a couple of things I didn't like which is what led me down the path to having a new pair made. Specifically, coming from skates that fit like a Mako, with zero negative space, I felt the toe box was sloppy even with the tongue stuffed all the way down. I also like my boots to fit VERY snug. My big toe needs to touch the toe cap when I am standing upright and not in a hockey stance and the first pair had a little too much space in the toe area. I also had regret getting the added shot blockers in the first pair due to the weight they add.

Again, I am sure these would not be an issue with 99% of people but for me, it was a serious problem. No matter how much I liked the skates I could not overlook these small issues. The last thing you should be thinking about when you are on the ice is your equipment..... 

That being said. I test out a lot of gear. Obviously, owning a hockey shop allows me to get my hands and feet in every new product that comes out and I like to test what we sell. I dont think you can advise anyone on an item unless you have tested the item yourself. I also think there needs to be some understanding that everyone is different and we all have different likes and dislikes. What works for me will likely not work for others, and vice versa. 

I can see specific areas where the True skates shine when I compare them to CCM and Bauer. I also see areas where CCM is better than the others and the same with Bauer. Different strokes for different folks. 

Edited by Nicholas G
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

True will make a customer a new pair of skates if they are not able to get the ones they made the first time fit you properly. I have only seen a few people ever need to have a new pair of skates made.

To be entirely transparent, I own a hockey shop and we sell True custom skate. I was one of the few people who did request to have a second pair made. This was not due to any quality control issues or defects with the skate. There was a couple of things I didn't like which is what led me down the path to having a new pair made. Specifically, coming from skates that fit like a Mako, with zero negative space, I felt the toe box was sloppy even with the tongue stuffed all the way down. I also like my boots to fit VERY snug. My big toe needs to touch the toe cap when I am standing upright and not in a hockey stance and the first pair had a little too much space in the toe area. I also had regret getting the added shot blockers in the first pair due to the weight they add.

Again, I am sure these would not be an issue with 99% of people but for me, it was a serious problem. No matter how much I liked the skates I could not overlook these small issues. The last thing you should be thinking about when you are on the ice is your equipment..... 

That being said. I test out a lot of gear. Obviously, owning a hockey shop allows me to get my hands and feet in every new product that comes out and I like to test what we sell. I dont think you can advise anyone on an item unless you have tested the item yourself. I also think there needs to be some understanding that everyone is different and we all have different likes and dislikes. What works for me will likely not work for others, and vice versa. 

I can see specific areas where the True skates shine when I compare them to CCM and Bauer. I also see areas where CCM is better than the others and the same with Bauer. Different strokes for different folks. 

If you don’t mind, could you elaborate shortly on the areas in which you think each brand outshines the others?

At this point, I’m torn between all three custom options so I’m gathering all the info I can.

5 minutes ago, jared9356 said:

If you don’t mind, could you elaborate shortly on the areas in which you think each brand outshines the others?

At this point, I’m torn between all three custom options so I’m gathering all the info I can.

True Skate

Plus: Overall fit. Comfort. Allows for proper skating posture. Top quality materials. Excellent for those with foot issues needing more than a molded off the shelf skate. Ability to swap tongues at any time. Step/VH holder is reliable and the steel is top notch. 

Minus: Lack of steel selection for Step/VH holder. Cannot order without Step/VH holder. Heavier than other brands. Most players swap out the Step/VH holder for Tuuk holders to allow them to use various brands of steel (Byonic, Massive, Flare, Step, Tydan, Bauer, etc)

Summary: This is a pro level skate. True does not make multiple tiers of skates, they make one model only. This skate is designed for the player on the ice 20+ hours a week, the big guy/gal, or a very powerful skater. There is an adjustment period when moving to the True skate, for some its longer than others, but generally its at least 10-20 hours for your biomechanics to "reset." These are not the lightest skate on the market and are heavier than Bauer and CCM, but as one person said to me "If you are bitchin about 40 grams of weight in a pro level skate vs general retail models, you should instead go to the gym or not wear those skates cause you're a sissy."

CCM AS1/FT1 Custom (NOT FULL CUSTOM)

Plus: A skate designed for all-out performance. Lightweight. Ability to request different sizes. Minor alterations to the skate such as tongue and added padding are available. Best looking skates IMO. One-piece boot frame allows for a great fit. These skates are all about performance without any of the "fluff"

Minus: SB holder is terrible IMO. Takes too long to swap steel and I have seen too many players lose screws/nuts on the bench when trying to swap steel in a game. Not as durable as other skates. Having a minimalist design is great for short term but the boots tend to start to look pretty terrible after only a season of hard skating. 

Summary: All performance without the extras. Less padding than other brands. Extremely light compared to most other skates. Some people feel the boot is too high cut on the ankle and can be restrictive. Swap out the SB holder and you have a beast of a skate! Durability is not the best, just look around at used FT1 and Super tacks and you will see many of them look pretty torn up after only a year of use at high-level hockey. 

Bauer Custom (NOT FULL CUSTOM)

Plus: Light skate. Ability to request different sizes and minor alterations to the skate such as tongue and added padding are available. Iconic design, it looks like a hockey skate. Not much has changed with their technology or design in many years, which many players prefer. 

Minus: The two-piece boot is perceived by some as a negative compared to the one-piece boots from CCM and True. Tuuk holders are known for having many issues, but they are still the preferred holder of almost every major hockey team and equipment manager. 

Summary: I consider it the workhorse of skates, more durable than CCM but less durable than True. The Swiss Army Knife of hockey skates that does everything well, but doesn't do any specific thing better than anyone else.  

• Like 4

For those who have swapped holders, have the new holders stayed in place well? In my limited experience, the few times I’ve had a new holder put on, it’s never seemed to be as secure. I want to know if that is a common problem or if it’s primarily a matter of who is attaching the holder and how well it is being done. I ask this in general but also as it pertains to VH/TRUE.

33 minutes ago, cbhockey22 said:

For those who have swapped holders, have the new holders stayed in place well? In my limited experience, the few times I’ve had a new holder put on, it’s never seemed to be as secure. I want to know if that is a common problem or if it’s primarily a matter of who is attaching the holder and how well it is being done. I ask this in general but also as it pertains to VH/TRUE.

Does your holder have copper rivets or plastic rivets? A lot of people have noticed that plastic rivets don't grip the True boot material well enough and get loose causing problems. Using copper rivets resolves this problem. .

13 minutes ago, dimpledballs said:

Does your holder have copper rivets or plastic rivets? A lot of people have noticed that plastic rivets don't grip the True boot material well enough and get loose causing problems. Using copper rivets resolves this problem. .

I don’t even have TRUE skates, I’m just asking in general should I go that route and want to consider swapping holders. When I’ve needed to do it in the past due to a broken holder, it’s never seemed to be quite the same quality as the job done initially. The rivets that have been placed were always the same type as the originals. Due to so many issues, I’ve often had some replaced with copper or had extra coppers added. I’d prefer if I do have holders swapped on a pair of TRUEs that I won’t be bothered by such issues.

Edited by cbhockey22

1 hour ago, cbhockey22 said:

I don’t even have TRUE skates, I’m just asking in general should I go that route and want to consider swapping holders. When I’ve needed to do it in the past due to a broken holder, it’s never seemed to be quite the same quality as the job done initially. The rivets that have been placed were always the same type as the originals. Due to so many issues, I’ve often had some replaced with copper or had extra coppers added. I’d prefer if I do have holders swapped on a pair of TRUEs that I won’t be bothered by such issues.

I swap holders all the time and the True boot holds the rivets just the same as any other composite boot from CCM or Bauer. I think the issue is who is performing the work. 

• Like 3