Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

13 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

True Skate

Plus: Overall fit. Comfort. Allows for proper skating posture. Top quality materials. Excellent for those with foot issues needing more than a molded off the shelf skate. Ability to swap tongues at any time. Step/VH holder is reliable and the steel is top notch. 

Minus: Lack of steel selection for Step/VH holder. Cannot order without Step/VH holder. Heavier than other brands. Most players swap out the Step/VH holder for Tuuk holders to allow them to use various brands of steel (Byonic, Massive, Flare, Step, Tydan, Bauer, etc)

Summary: This is a pro level skate. True does not make multiple tiers of skates, they make one model only. This skate is designed for the player on the ice 20+ hours a week, the big guy/gal, or a very powerful skater. There is an adjustment period when moving to the True skate, for some its longer than others, but generally its at least 10-20 hours for your biomechanics to "reset." These are not the lightest skate on the market and are heavier than Bauer and CCM, but as one person said to me "If you are bitchin about 40 grams of weight in a pro level skate vs general retail models, you should instead go to the gym or not wear those skates cause you're a sissy."

CCM AS1/FT1 Custom (NOT FULL CUSTOM)

Plus: A skate designed for all-out performance. Lightweight. Ability to request different sizes. Minor alterations to the skate such as tongue and added padding are available. Best looking skates IMO. One-piece boot frame allows for a great fit. These skates are all about performance without any of the "fluff"

Minus: SB holder is terrible IMO. Takes too long to swap steel and I have seen too many players lose screws/nuts on the bench when trying to swap steel in a game. Not as durable as other skates. Having a minimalist design is great for short term but the boots tend to start to look pretty terrible after only a season of hard skating. 

Summary: All performance without the extras. Less padding than other brands. Extremely light compared to most other skates. Some people feel the boot is too high cut on the ankle and can be restrictive. Swap out the SB holder and you have a beast of a skate! Durability is not the best, just look around at used FT1 and Super tacks and you will see many of them look pretty torn up after only a year of use at high-level hockey. 

Bauer Custom (NOT FULL CUSTOM)

Plus: Light skate. Ability to request different sizes and minor alterations to the skate such as tongue and added padding are available. Iconic design, it looks like a hockey skate. Not much has changed with their technology or design in many years, which many players prefer. 

Minus: The two-piece boot is perceived by some as a negative compared to the one-piece boots from CCM and True. Tuuk holders are known for having many issues, but they are still the preferred holder of almost every major hockey team and equipment manager. 

Summary: I consider it the workhorse of skates, more durable than CCM but less durable than True. The Swiss Army Knife of hockey skates that does everything well, but doesn't do any specific thing better than anyone else.  

Appreciate the info. 

My last three skates were the NXG, Mako I, and One100. Familiar with the Mako feel and the benefits, but I’ve grown so used to Supremes. My only issue regarding my feet is that the right is almost an entire size longer and that the base of the 5th metatarsal on both feet protrudes. Other than that, Supremes are generally comfortable. 

14 hours ago, jared9356 said:

Appreciate the info. 

My last three skates were the NXG, Mako I, and One100. Familiar with the Mako feel and the benefits, but I’ve grown so used to Supremes. My only issue regarding my feet is that the right is almost an entire size longer and that the base of the 5th metatarsal on both feet protrudes. Other than that, Supremes are generally comfortable. 

Based on this I think you will need to go full custom regardless of any skate manufacturer you choose if you want the best fitting/performing skate

5 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Based on this I think you will need to go full custom regardless of any skate manufacturer you choose if you want the best fitting/performing skate

Totally agree which is why I’ve been trying to gather info on all three in terms of their full custom options. I’m leaning towards True atm. Although I’ve grown used to Supremes, I recognize how “sloppy” they feel and I was a huge fan of the Mako aside from the infamous Mako bump.

How have your Trues held up since your last video review? Was the liner an ongoing issue?

On 8/15/2018 at 7:30 PM, CigarScott said:

That's a good question. I didn't get the shot blockers in mine and they didn't ask for what stiffness level that you want. They did ask for my weight so perhaps they adjust the stiffness to your weight, ex: someone weighing 275 lbs gets a much stiffer skate than someone that weighs 175 lbs?

No. There are no different stiffness levels. You either request shot blockers (which add stiffness) or you don't. 

On 8/16/2018 at 6:38 AM, cbhockey22 said:

For those who have swapped holders, have the new holders stayed in place well? In my limited experience, the few times I’ve had a new holder put on, it’s never seemed to be as secure. I want to know if that is a common problem or if it’s primarily a matter of who is attaching the holder and how well it is being done. I ask this in general but also as it pertains to VH/TRUE.

That seems to be a fairly common issue for any skate with that style boot, eg. Mako and VH. 

15 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

No. There are no different stiffness levels. You either request shot blockers (which add stiffness) or you don't. 

It would be nice if we could get an official word on that from True, because SVH mentioned they could make the original VH hockey boots less stiff by subbing fiberglas for carbon. Could be that’s not an option they’ll entertain anymore.

On 4/18/2013 at 3:24 PM, vhfootwear said:

Laserrobottime, we haven’t made a pair yet for a referee, but we certainly could. With the monocoque process we have the ability to modify the composite layering and the thermoplastic integration. Therefore, we could make the skate less stiff and with more thermoplastic. Meaning, it would be less protective and it would weigh more, but it would mold better and flex more, ultimately making it super comfortable.

I misremembered the exact substitution mentioned, but here’s the post I had in mind (clipped for relevance).

F5CAAEEB-5096-4C72-8FE8-64B986C3A32A.jpe

Here's an update from my previous posts.  I used a pair of thinner tongues I had laying around to re-bake the skates so that they would wrap more and give me a tighter fit, along with clamping and using tensor tape.  They still could be a little tighter with less negative space, but they are better than before.  One strange thing about these skates is that the looser I tie them the better they seem to feel. True has offered to shorten the facing on the skates if I can't get them just right. 

Edited by Superjet
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Superjet said:

One strange thing about these skates is that the looser I tie them the better they seem to feel. 

Absolutely. They have such good wrap that I barely have to tie mine at all now. The bottom 2/3 of my skates are barely snug. 

On 8/20/2018 at 11:44 AM, IPv6Freely said:

Absolutely. They have such good wrap that I barely have to tie mine at all now. The bottom 2/3 of my skates are barely snug. 

With proper fitting skates this is the way they should always fit. I think people have just worn I'll fitting skates for so long they think they need to crank on the laces. I barely tie any of my skates except for the eyelets that lock the ankle. The top I leave loose and wide open. I have pretty strong ankles which I guess helps too. 

Edited by Nicholas G
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 4:53 AM, Superjet said:

F5CAAEEB-5096-4C72-8FE8-64B986C3A32A.jpe

Here's an update from my previous posts.  I used a pair of thinner tongues I had laying around to re-bake the skates so that they would wrap more and give me a tighter fit, along with clamping and using tensor tape.  They still could be a little tighter with less negative space, but they are better than before.  One strange thing about these skates is that the looser I tie them the better they seem to feel. True has offered to shorten the facing on the skates if I can't get them just right. 

How's the heel lock after this intervention?

On 8/22/2018 at 8:13 AM, flip12 said:

How's the heel lock after this intervention?

A little better, but it still isn't what it should be for this level of skate.  I'm going to figure out how much I want the facing shortened and have True make the modification.

5 hours ago, Superjet said:

A little better, but it still isn't what it should be for this level of skate.  I'm going to figure out how much I want the facing shortened and have True make the modification.

Did you ever try the skate with two footbeds in? It sounds like the heel pocket is too high. In my opinion, lowering the facing won't address the fit all the way around your foot. If the volume is too high overall, the other areas that can't be cinched to your foot with laces will still be sloppy.

3 hours ago, flip12 said:

Did you ever try the skate with two footbeds in? It sounds like the heel pocket is too high. In my opinion, lowering the facing won't address the fit all the way around your foot. If the volume is too high overall, the other areas that can't be cinched to your foot with laces will still be sloppy.

Yep, I have been skating with two insoles in the skates since I’ve had them. I even tried 3 at one point to take up some of the extra volume. That didn’t seem to help, so I went back to two. 

• Like 1

Hey all. 

So, I've had my True/VH skates for a little over a week now (coming from Bauer TotalOne NXGs).  I've baked them once, sharpened them in my Sparx, and skated once for two hours (back to back practices on Wednesday night). 

Here are some questions and observations I have after that short amount of time....

• It Still Feels Weird
    • I never wore the Makos, so the way these skates feel is just.....weird.
    • Granted, it's only been two hours, but I'm still referring to my Trues as 'my new skates' and my Bauers as 'my skates'....
    • For those that never wore Makos or any other similar skates, how long did it take until the Trues became 'yours'?  

• Need a New Grinding Ring!!! After two hours on the ice, it's become apparent that, with these skates, I do NOT need anywhere near as deep of a FBV/Fire sharpen as I do on my TotalOnes.  
    • It was bizarre, I jumped on the ice for the first time and almost stopped dead.  It felt almost like skating on artificial ice there for a while.
    • Once I got going, I realized it was because I was gripping the ice WAY more and, biomechanically speaking, was in a much better overall position - centered on my edges with proper ankle/knee/hip positioning.   
    • Put differently, these skates make it NATURAL for me to get my body in the correct position and, when demonstrating, I don't have to *think* about getting my body in the right position.  I just go there...
    • All of that said, I want more glide, so I'm thinking that I'll back off my FBV from 1/2" to 5/8".  Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

• Time to Bake Again: I want to get rid of some negative space in both skates and generally get my heels further back (I was, perhaps, too tentative with the whole 'kicking the heel back' thing when I first baked them).  
    • Obviously, I need to bake again - anyone have suggestions on time/temperature I should be using? 
      • The lone piece of paper that comes with the skates isn't super specific and I don't want to pull an eyelet out or anything....
      • As an FYI, I have a regular household convection oven with a baking stone in the bottom to ensure even heat - the lowest I can set it for is 180 degrees F.
    • Presuming I'll be using ratchet clamps and tensor/ace bandages, after removing the skate from the oven, how much time will I have to get everything situated the way I like it?  
    • The pens to either side of the tongue in Superjet's picture above - I presume that was done to make it possible to lace the skate after baking?
      • When those eyelets fold over, lacing definitely gets really interesting....
    • Once I get everything set, how long should I leave the skate on my foot to cool?
    • Since a goal of mine is to remove negative space, should I bake barefoot - even though I will wear regular athletic socks while skating?

• Holy Foot Sweat, Batman!!!  I've worn a lot of skates in my life, but I've NEVER had this much sweat come off my feet.  My socks were literally SOAKED after two hours on the ice.  
    • Anyone else experience this?  
    • Should I be concerned about this from a 'damaging my skates' perspective - particularly if they don't get fully dry between on ice sessions?
      • For instance, sometimes, I'll be on ice for an hour; off for two, then back on for two - no way are my skates going to dry completely during that two hour break - is that bad?
    • Any tips on drying them out?  Should I remove the footbeds?  

I think that's about it...any and all feedback/assistance/admonishment would be very much appreciated!

I hope to rebake today and will be on the ice for an hour tonight and again for 4 hours on Saturday - I'll report back after that marathon!!!! 

Edited by Santos L Halper
Clarity & grammar...

40 minutes ago, Santos L Halper said:
  • Time to Bake Again: I want to get rid of some negative space in both skates and generally get my heels further back (I was, perhaps, too tentative with the whole 'kicking the heel back' thing when I first baked them).  
    • Obviously, I need to bake again - anyone have suggestions on time/temperature I should be using? 
      • The lone piece of paper that comes with the skates isn't super specific and I don't want to pull an eyelet out or anything....
      • As an FYI, I have a regular household convection oven with a baking stone in the bottom to ensure even heat - the lowest I can set it for is 180 degrees F.
    • Presuming I'll be using ratchet clamps and tensor/ace bandages, after removing the skate from the oven, how much time will I have to get everything situated the way I like it?  
    • The pens to either side of the tongue in Superjet's picture above - I presume that was done to make it possible to lace the skate after baking?
      • When those eyelets fold over, lacing definitely gets really interesting....
    • Once I get everything set, how long should I leave the skate on my foot to cool?
    • Since a goal of mine is to remove negative space, should I bake barefoot - even though I will wear regular athletic socks while skating?

I believe 10 minutes per skate at 180 will be fine from what I've read and watched. I think your skates will have to sit 12-24 hours after rebaking so are you doing it after you hit the ice tonight?

Edited by CigarScott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CigarScott said:

I believe 10 minutes per skate at 180 will be fine from what I've read and watched. I think your skates will have to sit 12-24 hours after rebaking so are you doing it after you hit the ice tonight?

Uh oh....skate #1 is in the oven now...

That said, according to the video, 'a couple of hours' before you skate is sufficient.  Regardless, my skates will be soaked after coaching tonight, so I'm not sure that's the best time to bake them.

Guess we'll see how they hold up....maybe I'll put them in my beer fridge for a couple of hours after I'm done, here!

😁

The shallower hollow seems to be common with people moving to VH. Not sure exactly why, unless it's simply that your mechanics are better when you have a better fitting skate?

Regarding the top of the skate and keeping it open with the pens... what I actually did was just spot heat the top with a heat gun and shove a softball into the top of the skate and threw it in the freezer. MUCH easier to get my foot in. That said, I still use a shoe horn to get my skates on. I don't care how silly I look.

You should always take footbeds out of any skate to dry so you don't get rusty rivets. I always put mine upside down on my drying rack with a fan blowing on all my stuff. Usually dry in a couple hours. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

The shallower hollow seems to be common with people moving to VH. Not sure exactly why, unless it's simply that your mechanics are better when you have a better fitting skate?

Might also be due to upgrading from stock Bauer/CCM steel to Step. My True's show up Monday so I will know for sure next week. 🙂

17 minutes ago, CigarScott said:

Might also be due to upgrading from stock Bauer/CCM steel to Step. My True's show up Monday so I will know for sure next week. 🙂

Could very well be - having sharpened much stock Bauer/CCM crap on my Sparx, I can tell you that the StepSteel takes a sharpening better and holds a keener edge....

@IPv6Freely may also be correct with with the idea that the True boots may help with body alignment. I have trouble doing hockey stops on my right side in my current skates due to the pronation issues that I have in my right foot. I'm hoping that the new skates keep my foot and ankle in better alignment so I can use my right outside edge better. Could be a combination of better steel/edges and better foot alignment as to why you don't need as sharp of an edge on True skates?

Back after Saturday's 4 hour marathon....and 2 hours last night.  

Safe to say that I REALLY, REALLY like these skates and putting my Bauers back on my feet (if I ever do it...) will be really tough. 

They ARE, however, noticeably heavier than my Bauers and I'm not sure I'd like them quite as much if I were still playing competitively - but, I do imagine that I'll get used to that in time...and, since I coach way more than I play these days, I think I've probably hit on the perfect coaching skate.  

That said, I've noticed that, even after baking them a second time, my heels are slipping - particularly if I'm skating hard.  I can't give a quantifiable amount that they're slipping and it's impossible for me to tell WHY they're slipping; but they're definitely slipping...and that concerns me.  I thought the whole point of the True/VH skate was to eliminate this sort of thing...?

Should I rebake?  If so, does anyone have any tips as to HOW I should use the ratchet clamps/tensor bandages to improve that heel lock?

If I can eliminate this heel slippage, I'd be an EXTREMELY happy customer...

54 minutes ago, Santos L Halper said:

Back after Saturday's 4 hour marathon....and 2 hours last night.  

Safe to say that I REALLY, REALLY like these skates and putting my Bauers back on my feet (if I ever do it...) will be really tough. 

They ARE, however, noticeably heavier than my Bauers and I'm not sure I'd like them quite as much if I were still playing competitively - but, I do imagine that I'll get used to that in time...and, since I coach way more than I play these days, I think I've probably hit on the perfect coaching skate.  

That said, I've noticed that, even after baking them a second time, my heels are slipping - particularly if I'm skating hard.  I can't give a quantifiable amount that they're slipping and it's impossible for me to tell WHY they're slipping; but they're definitely slipping...and that concerns me.  I thought the whole point of the True/VH skate was to eliminate this sort of thing...?

Should I rebake?  If so, does anyone have any tips as to HOW I should use the ratchet clamps/tensor bandages to improve that heel lock?

If I can eliminate this heel slippage, I'd be an EXTREMELY happy customer...

Some of our customers that have heel slippage swap to different insoles that have a more tacky feel. I did notice the includes insoles are a bit slippery. You could always put some "show goo" on the heel of the insole to help add some grip. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 12:00 PM, CigarScott said:

I think its a few things. The shape of Step is different, the steel is better and holds an edge longer. The skates also allow the player to have better posture. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Some of our customers that have heel slippage swap to different insoles that have a more tacky feel. I did notice the includes insoles are a bit slippery. You could always put some "show goo" on the heel of the insole to help add some grip. 

Interesting suggestion and I may go that route if you believe it's worth a try.

However, just to be clear, my heels aren't rattling around in the skates - they're lifting up when I stride, ESPECIALLY when I'm skating hard. 

I'm thinking my baking may not have given me a proper heel lock?

1 minute ago, Santos L Halper said:

Interesting suggestion and I may go that route if you believe it's worth a try.

However, just to be clear, my heels aren't rattling around in the skates - they're lifting up when I stride, ESPECIALLY when I'm skating hard. 

I'm thinking my baking may not have given me a proper heel lock?

Very possible. I would do another bake. Also, I never recommend lacing up the skate to the top eyelet when baking. It provides too much wrap at the top of the foot and limits forward flex. When you then use the skates the heel can lift a little due to not being in the proper skating position from when you baked. 

• Like 1