Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

On 10/2/2018 at 8:39 PM, Nicholas G said:

Got my new pair of Trues today. I was very impressed with the fit and finish in the most recent model compared to my older skates. 

https://imgur.com/a/V3ArJ6j

2WZHZ0K.jpg

zcCQlMs.jpgRzlp35x.jpgdC2TdYw.jpg6rMgKkt.jpg

Can I ask why you got another pair so soon after your first pair?

11 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Can I ask why you got another pair so soon after your first pair?

Wanted to try the newer manufacturing process which incorporates the new carbon and a few other slight changes. I also wanted a pair without shot blocker and was curious about trying a different liner type as well. 

9 hours ago, Bizz22 said:

what liner is the tan one?

They don’t do it in tan anymore I don’t think. The black is the same thing, just colored.

29 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

They don’t do it in tan anymore I don’t think. The black is the same thing, just colored.

They still do tan. This pair was just made a week ago. zIn fact, you can see the "built date" of 9/6/2018. 

Edited by Nicholas G

42 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

They still do tan. This pair was just made a week ago. zIn fact, you can see the "built date" of 9/6/2018. 

Is there any difference or just coloring? 

I got my replacement pair on Tuesday, baked them while doing the "tissue technique" and skated on them for the first time last night. It looks like they moved my holders towards my inside edges a few mm to help with my pronation. My left foot seems fine and I think will be good once I remove the toe cap padding since the end of my big toe is digging a bit into the toe cap. My right foot I'm still having issues with my bunion and big toe with lack of volume after notating these problems to True and sending pics, etc. Does anyone know if the toe cap material can be punched out to give me more room in the area?

Here is my right foot after an hour of taking it easy during a learn to play class even with wearing my bunion sleeve and gel toe cap thing: https://imgur.com/a/C6EIRSc

I don't want to have to bother True again and I think my right skate can be fixed to work for me but I need to figure out a way to get more room in that area. My Speed Plate 2's showed up yesterday so I plan to rebake them tonight or tomorrow with the Speed Plates. Anyone have any other tips for my rebake?

Edited by CigarScott

54 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Good to know. 

1 hour ago, CigarScott said:

I got my replacement pair on Tuesday, baked them while doing the "tissue technique" and skated on them for the first time last night. It looks like they moved my holders towards my inside edges a few mm to help with my pronation. My left foot seems fine and I think will be good once I remove the toe cap padding since the end of my big toe is digging a bit into the toe cap. My right foot I'm still having issues with my bunion and big toe with lack of volume after notating these problems to True and sending pics, etc. Does anyone know if the toe cap material can be punched out to give me more room in the area?

Here is my right foot after an hour of taking it easy during a learn to play class even with wearing my bunion sleeve and gel toe cap thing: https://imgur.com/a/C6EIRSc

I don't want to have to bother True again and I think my right skate can be fixed to work for me but I need to figure out a way to get more room in that area. My Speed Plate 2's showed up yesterday so I plan to rebake them tonight or tomorrow with the Speed Plates. Anyone have any other tips for my rebake?

You can use a dremel to drill down the carbon inside of the toe cap. I also remove the red rubber padding from inside the toe box as well. 

33 minutes ago, SILVER82 said:

Any weight difference between the new and old skates. You mentioned they have a new carbon?

The boot seems to be about 48 grams lighter. That taking into consideration that I didn't get the shot blockers in this order. Total weight difference including the shot blocker is about 137 grams. 

20 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

The boot seems to be about 48 grams lighter. That taking into consideration that I didn't get the shot blockers in this order. Total weight difference including the shot blocker is about 137 grams. 

That’s not bad. What is the weight of the skates then?  If you don’t mind. Could you include the size,steel and holder type.  Thanks. Any other difference you notice between the old and new?

I want to purchase a new pair of skates - True, but first read below.

I have a pair of Bauer X90s D width and I should have a narrow, none available back then. Using the scanner at True I can get a custom made skate that should be better than my Bauer skates. I have them fitting me perfectly now, with the one exception they are too wide.

When I do put my Bauer skates on though, my toes lightly touch the end of the toe cap and are then pulled back and away from the toe area as soon as I laced them up. They are very comfortable, but I guess I could use the narrow version and they are getting old.

Now I have two reasons to get a nice new pair of custom True Skates.

QUESTION: For those that have purchased new skates from True, I would expect that you would compare the new with the old just to see the differences.

I am just trying to understand what to expect when I receive my skates, since what I have now are great except for the size D width.

Will the regular model (no additional padding etc.) of the True be wider, I guess narrower for me? Are they heavier or longer? I have read they may be heavier, but that does not bother me. 

More importantly though, would the skates be about the same length as my old skates? I have had the same length blade now for about 10 years or more and would like to keep it as such.

I would appreciate any comments?

Thanks!

Edited by smu
Sorry, made a couple of changes once I re-read it.

1 hour ago, smu said:

I have a pair of Bauer X90s D width and I should have a narrow, none available back then. Using the scanner at True I can get a custom made skate that should be better than my Bauer skates. I have them fitting me perfectly now, with the one exception they are too wide.

When I do put my Bauer skates on though, my toes lightly touch the end of the toe cap and are then pulled back and away from the toe area as soon as I laced them up. They are very comfortable, but I guess I could use the narrow version and they are getting old.

QUESTION: For those that have purchased new skates from True, I would expect that you would compare the new with the old just to see the differences.

I am just trying to understand what to expect when I receive my skates, since what I have now are great except for the size D width.

Will the regular model (no additional padding etc.) of the True be wider, I guess narrower for me? Are they heavier or longer? I have read they may be heavier, but that does not bother me. 

More importantly though, would the skates be about the same length as my old skates? I have had the same length blade now for about 10 years or more and would like to keep it as such.

Thanks!

The skates would be made to fit your feet. The proper length and width. It's literally built to your foot specifications. There is no width or length measurements, per se. 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

The skates would be made to fit your feet. The proper length and width. It's literally built to your foot specifications. There is no width or length measurements, per se. 

Nicholas,

I agree, but if you purchased them have you noticed much difference in length or width? Is you toe box larger than it should be?

Thanks

4 hours ago, smu said:

Thanks!

Presuming your X90s fit you reasonably well (and it sounds like they do - save for the width issue), skates made by True/VH will be pretty much the same physical 'size' as your existing skates.  

They will be narrower inside the boot, simply because the scan and build process creates a skate that is specifically built to fit your feet.  But they really shouldn't be any longer...or shorter.  And, unless serious wonk is introduced into the manufacturing process, they will use the same size steel.  

Oh.  And they will be heavier.  Quite a lot heavier.  

2 hours ago, smu said:

Nicholas,

I agree, but if you purchased them have you noticed much difference in length or width? Is you toe box larger than it should be?

Thanks

I have two pairs of True skates. I am not entirely sure what you are asking. The toe box fits fine. Some might like it a little more snug than others and for them, I recommend to either push the tongue down further into the toe cap or we add some foams. As for width, its made to fit your foot, so there isn't any extra room or slop unless you tell them you need room for foot issues. 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

I have two pairs of True skates. I am not entirely sure what you are asking. The toe box fits fine. Some might like it a little more snug than others and for them, I recommend to either push the tongue down further into the toe cap or we add some foams. As for width, its made to fit your foot, so there isn't any extra room or slop unless you tell them you need room for foot issues. 

That's a help, the skate should be the length of my Bauer if they keep the toe box within reason and no slop in the sides unless it is needed by me. If what I am trying to repeat agrees with you then, that's what I should expect to receive. Thanks

31 minutes ago, smu said:

That's a help, the skate should be the length of my Bauer if they keep the toe box within reason and no slop in the sides unless it is needed by me. If what I am trying to repeat agrees with you then, that's what I should expect to receive. Thanks

Not a problem. They really do go above and beyond to meet customers expectations. Many of the people who dislike True skates either could not get accustomed to the weight, they didn't use them long enough to give themselves time to adjust, or just couldn't get past the way they look.  

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 8:43 PM, Nicholas G said:

Not a problem. They really do go above and beyond to meet customers expectations. Many of the people who dislike True skates either could not get accustomed to the weight, they didn't use them long enough to give themselves time to adjust, or just couldn't get past the way they look.  

Agreed. The first few skates I wondered if I made the right choice. The skates we're super comfortable like nothing else I've worn but it took me a solid three mths playing once a week to really happy with them. They are heavier, and somewhat bulkier and the overall feel is just so different from anything retail. 

After getting used to them and having them soften up a touch I absolutely love them. I would definitely get them again in a few years. 

I must say though I prefer the old carbon weave better but not a deal breaker by any means. 

Do they still offer the boot only option and if so do they come predrilled or does the lhs have to do that now. 

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Agreed. The first few skates I wondered if I made the right choice. The skates we're super comfortable like nothing else I've worn but it took me a solid three mths playing once a week to really happy with them. They are heavier, and somewhat bulkier and the overall feel is just so different from anything retail. 

After getting used to them and having them soften up a touch I absolutely love them. I would definitely get them again in a few years. 

I must say though I prefer the old carbon weave better but not a deal breaker by any means. 

Do they still offer the boot only option and if so do they come predrilled or does the lhs have to do that now. 

No more boot only option 😞

5 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I was told they stopped all requests for any changes and only send their brand of holders and steel. They would not send just the boot to have your own preference put on at the LHS. This was an option when I was first interested, they would almost do anything for you, but not now so I am told.

Please let me know if this is not the case.

7 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

No more boot only option 😞

They probably lost a few customers doing this. Stopping putting on other holders I get. But boot only option actually saves them time too and would increase their sales. 

At least the holes on their holders line up wiyh ccm and tuuk. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

They probably lost a few customers doing this. Stopping putting on other holders I get. But boot only option actually saves them time too and would increase their sales. 

At least the holes on their holders line up wiyh ccm and tuuk. 

Usually we give the customer some credit back in exchange for the steel and holder. We then sell them the Tuuk and any steel of their choice at cost and charge a very minimal fee to mount.

While Tuuks are still more popular than the Step/VH holder, we are starting to see more people switch to the Step/VH holder on other brands of skates, specifically a lot of people who use CCM and dislike thr SB holders. 

Personally, I love the Step/VH holder. My main issue is no one other than Step, and soon to be Tydan, make steel for it. 

In the end, it's likely I'll be using the next generation CCM holder when it releases soon. I have been very impressed by it so far. 

Edited by Nicholas G
  • Like 1