Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

10 minutes ago, smu said:

I cleaned up my post a bit, you may want to re-read it. I must have been half asleep when posting, but I will get some photos up today.

5 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Where are you located? 

Regarding the True skates I really don't mind the weight at all, they maybe heavier than my X60 or X90 Bauer skates, but they feel fine to me.

I had to wear the two recent pairs of Trues that I received on the ice just so we could confirm that they were unacceptable. Weight was not a problem, but I could not comment on the feel as they were too large. Once you have your gear on they skates did not look bad at all, even off my feet I was not looking for flashy skates so in that area I was satisfied. I did get hit in the foot with a good shot and literally felt nothing and I thought that was great! If I can just get a pair that fits me like a glove I will feel like a guy that has finally gotten over his pronation issues from the past 7 to 10 years and looking forward to getting on the ice and not having to worry about pronation issues something that I had to work with on a game by game basis.

3 hours ago, smu said:

Regarding the True skates I really don't mind the weight at all, they maybe heavier than my X60 or X90 Bauer skates, but they feel fine to me.

I had to wear the two recent pairs of Trues that I received on the ice just so we could confirm that they were unacceptable. Weight was not a problem, but I could not comment on the feel as they were too large. Once you have your gear on they skates did not look bad at all, even off my feet I was not looking for flashy skates so in that area I was satisfied. I did get hit in the foot with a good shot and literally felt nothing and I thought that was great! If I can just get a pair that fits me like a glove I will feel like a guy that has finally gotten over his pronation issues from the past 7 to 10 years and looking forward to getting on the ice and not having to worry about pronation issues something that I had to work with on a game by game basis.

Did you ask for a specific blade size? If you asked for an oversized blade, they might have built the boot longer so it can accommodate the requested holder. I know it's not a good reason for building an ill-fitting boot, but it would be good to know everything that might have contributed to this situation.

10 hours ago, jvincig01 said:

Sacramento

Interesting, I have actually heard of quite a few customers recently who pulled the liners a little when baking the skates and they had to get the liner repaired. One of our customers had the same thing happen as well but he has not brought the skates back for us to mail them to True for him..... we have been waiting for a few months now. 

19 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

No. Don't want to do something that drastic esp having more holes drilled. Funny thing is that it doesn't really affect my skating. I do the one leg glide test and I still glide straight.  Not sure when I developed this issue but I'm guessing it was pronounced by an ankle injury I had in 2012. I'm going to put my old bauers on and see if I notice the difference as well. 

Looking at my Bauer's the right skate boot got soft and started to break down before the left which tells me that it obviously took on more strain from the pronation... I guess with the Bauer's they always felt ok, but it's more noticeable with the trues bc they are made from your scan and vs my left which fits 100%, you notice it way more. 

I noticed the same thing in my right skate in my Bauers due to my pronation. I also really noticed it in my right shin pad. I tuck my tongue so my shins are over my skates and the pressure from the pronation was forcing my skate to dig into the interior padding on my shin pad; nothing some Gorilla Tape couldn't fix...

11 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

The lightweight hollow feeling is nice until you take a shot to the foot or the skate starts to fall apart. I guess its all depends on the level of hockey you play and how often you are on the ice, but for me, nothing has been as durable as my True skates. Not even close. 

My Bauer one100s lasted me seven years before I noticed the right boot start getting soft and I only noticed when i squeezed the ankle area with my hand. Didn't notice during play. 

I play only once a week for beer league so I'm not that hard on my skates. Either way it's all personal preference. I never had fit issues with retail skates in the past as I don't have hit spots etc. I got my trues simply due to curiosity. 

19 hours ago, Leif said:

Maybe orders have slowed down due to custom options now being offered by Bauer and CCM. This is just a guess, and could be nonsense. 

The beginning of training camp/season rush is over. They're probably twiddling their thumbs right now after that rush is now over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Larry54 said:

Did you ask for a specific blade size? If you asked for an oversized blade, they might have built the boot longer so it can accommodate the requested holder. I know it's not a good reason for building an ill-fitting boot, but it would be good to know everything that might have contributed to this situation.

We definitely did not ask for anything that would even resemble something larger in fact I was going smaller as I need a narrow skate and there are not many around. We even indicated that I was able to get a 4.5 Tack on last summer, but the heel pocket was still too larger so we were going smaller! The LHS and me were looking for footprint that was as small as possible and paid up front the Junior size 5 amount as required by True. They said nothing otherwise about my skates and they may now be a 6 or a size 7!

They say that they no longer go by shoe size as really the make the skates to fit the person and you can't give a figure for that unless it happened to match exactly a foot size. However, I have my doubts given that I definitely received someone's else's boot by mistake, but wait, it gets better, there stock insole had a tiny sticker on the bottom of my skate indicating a # 7 for a size 7 I would take it! That's about the size I would have guessed I got by the initially time it was put on my foot just to see how they felt to trying them out on the ice. As you know these skates were returned with all that I have already told you along with indicating that I take a small boot and I want a shorter toe box, nothing else will do and of course I need the heel box etc to be smaller as well. I have never had this size of a skate blade before. Th Bauer was a 246 mm and the True was was 254 mm or 8 mm longer if I am correct.

But, wait, it gets even better! This time, as I have said before, the skates come back to me, not just back, but the identical skates with came back with absolutely nothing fixed as far as the hardware issues go.

But wait it gets better again ! Trying them on initially I feel my toes almost touching the end cap but not like most where you feel it and may think the skate may be too small, but once kicked back and tightened up the foot is drawn back well into the heel pocket and you no longer touch the end of the toe box.

Wait, it gets better, guess what?! the only thing that was done to the skate to make me feel my toes ever so gently was that they used masking tape to apply foam to the end of the inside of the toe boxes

And, wait! It gets better, they left the old insoles, the #7s in the box  however, now I have a newer pair that are in the box as well and have the number 6 on the bottom this time. Since the toe cavity has been shortened by some very unorthodox method of placing padding in the toe instead of remaking the skates to fit properly the add the foam and now a pair of insoles that now fit the skate!

Wait, there is more, but you will have to wait for me to get my photos up!

Wait, there is more was saying that my now deceased nephew used to say, he died about 2013 just after playing hockey, some on the forum would have known of him, just 44 years old!

This isn’t the best advert for a True is it? 

1 hour ago, CigarScott said:

The beginning of training camp/season rush is over. They're probably twiddling their thumbs right now after that rush is now over.

That makes a lot more sense. Presumably that is the case for Bauer and CCM customs too.

13 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

The lightweight hollow feeling is nice until you take a shot to the foot or the skate starts to fall apart. I guess its all depends on the level of hockey you play and how often you are on the ice, but for me, nothing has been as durable as my True skates. Not even close. 

I've been in my Supreme 190's for 3+ years now and all I have had to do was replace a few eyelets. I have taken shots off the foot and well it sucked and I felt it, but it didn't keep me off the ice nor did my skates fall apart.  I am on the ice 2-4 times a week and play in pretty high level around here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smu said:

We definitely did not ask for anything that would even resemble something larger in fact I was going smaller as I need a narrow skate and there are not many around. We even indicated that I was able to get a 4.5 Tack on last summer, but the heel pocket was still too larger so we were going smaller! The LHS and me were looking for footprint that was as small as possible and paid up front the Junior size 5 amount as required by True. They said nothing otherwise about my skates and they may now be a 6 or a size 7!

They say that they no longer go by shoe size as really the make the skates to fit the person and you can't give a figure for that unless it happened to match exactly a foot size. However, I have my doubts given that I definitely received someone's else's boot by mistake, but wait, it gets better, there stock insole had a tiny sticker on the bottom of my skate indicating a # 7 for a size 7 I would take it! That's about the size I would have guessed I got by the initially time it was put on my foot just to see how they felt to trying them out on the ice. As you know these skates were returned with all that I have already told you along with indicating that I take a small boot and I want a shorter toe box, nothing else will do and of course I need the heel box etc to be smaller as well. I have never had this size of a skate blade before. Th Bauer was a 246 mm and the True was was 254 mm or 8 mm longer if I am correct.

But, wait, it gets even better! This time, as I have said before, the skates come back to me, not just back, but the identical skates with came back with absolutely nothing fixed as far as the hardware issues go.

But wait it gets better again ! Trying them on initially I feel my toes almost touching the end cap but not like most where you feel it and may think the skate may be too small, but once kicked back and tightened up the foot is drawn back well into the heel pocket and you no longer touch the end of the toe box.

Wait, it gets better, guess what?! the only thing that was done to the skate to make me feel my toes ever so gently was that they used masking tape to apply foam to the end of the inside of the toe boxes

And, wait! It gets better, they left the old insoles, the #7s in the box  however, now I have a newer pair that are in the box as well and have the number 6 on the bottom this time. Since the toe cavity has been shortened by some very unorthodox method of placing padding in the toe instead of remaking the skates to fit properly the add the foam and now a pair of insoles that now fit the skate!

Wait, there is more, but you will have to wait for me to get my photos up!

Wait, there is more was saying that my now deceased nephew used to say, he died about 2013 just after playing hockey, some on the forum would have known of him, just 44 years old!

I'm just trying to help. A simple "No" would have answered my question.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, dimpledballs said:

Interesting look at durability on a pair of trues. Any opinions?

LOOOOL wtf. Definitely not going to put that one on True. 

• Like 1

As Nicholas said, looks like he butchered his baking and cranked on the laces. I don't even think that is possible with the cheapest beginner skates that Bauer or CCM makes unless you cranked on the laces.

13 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

LOOOOL wtf. Definitely not going to put that one on True. 

1 hour ago, CigarScott said:

As Nicholas said, looks like he butchered his baking and cranked on the laces. I don't even think that is possible with the cheapest beginner skates that Bauer or CCM makes unless you cranked on the laces.

Yea I would definitely say user error with that one. Just like not using a shoe horn when baking and wrecking the heel area. 

Took two hard shots off my Trues last night.  Both off the sides of the foot.  Felt it, but didn't hurt.  I would say for my purposes, the added shot blocker reinforcement is worth it than the extra weight they add, now having taken multiple shots off of them.

19 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Took two hard shots off my Trues last night.  Both off the sides of the foot.  Felt it, but didn't hurt.  I would say for my purposes, the added shot blocker reinforcement is worth it than the extra weight they add, now having taken multiple shots off of them.

Does it make it harder to heat mould?

3 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

I've been in my Supreme 190's for 3+ years now and all I have had to do was replace a few eyelets. I have taken shots off the foot and well it sucked and I felt it, but it didn't keep me off the ice nor did my skates fall apart.  I am on the ice 2-4 times a week and play in pretty high level around here.

The older generations of skates are made different than the last few generations. The NXG, MX3, then 1S and finally 2S Pro are all made from similar materials, but in drastically different ratios. Around the time the NXG and MX3 were released manufacturers started to become obsessed with lowering of skate weight. It took CCM a little longer, moving from the RBZ/JetSpeed OG to the FT1 and now the FT2. 

Edited by Nicholas G

3 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

The older generations of skates are made different than the last few generations. The NXG, MX3, then 1S and finally 2S Pro are all made from similar materials, but in drastically different ratios. Around the time the NXG and MX3 were released manufacturers started to become obsessed with lowering of skate weight. It took CCM a little longer, moving from the RBZ/JetSpeed OG to the FT1 and now the FT2. 

My 190s are from the same relase as the mx3s.

From working in a shop for the last few years and seeing tons of skates come and go I don’t see a huge drop off in durability from the years to be honest. I will say I mostly see $200 price point skates to top of the line and the biggest issue I see is tendon guards ripped/ hanging on by a thread and that’s because people are lazy when taking their skates off.  

Admittedly the only pair of true skates I have ever seen in person were the pure hockey display model so I can’t comment on how well they hold up over time. I will say with Bauer and ccm the durability seems fine. None of them exploded from a blocked shot.  

FWIW where I live there are about 7 rinks all within an hour drive, 2 NCAA teams, 4 ACHA teams, a couple AAA teams as well as strong youth hockey programs and probably 4+ different adult leagues so I get a pretty good sample of skates id say. 

1 minute ago, strosedefence34 said:

My 190s are from the same relase as the mx3s.

From working in a shop for the last few years and seeing tons of skates come and go I don’t see a huge drop off in durability from the years to be honest. I will say I mostly see $200 price point skates to top of the line and the biggest issue I see is tendon guards ripped/ hanging on by a thread and that’s because people are lazy when taking their skates off.  

Admittedly the only pair of true skates I have ever seen in person were the pure hockey display model so I can’t comment on how well they hold up over time. I will say with Bauer and ccm the durability seems fine. None of them exploded from a blocked shot.  

FWIW where I live there are about 7 rinks all within an hour drive, 2 NCAA teams, 4 ACHA teams, a couple AAA teams as well as strong youth hockey programs and probably 4+ different adult leagues so I get a pretty good sample of skates id say. 

I deal with a lot of high-level Junior teams, including WHL teams and such. I rarely see a single pair of Bauer or CCM skates make it through more than a single season. Most players go multiple seasons in a single pair of True skates. I skate about 15+ hours a week on average and my last pair of CCM/Bauer skates looked pretty beat up after 4 months. 

2 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

I deal with a lot of high-level Junior teams, including WHL teams and such. I rarely see a single pair of Bauer or CCM skates make it through more than a single season. Most players go multiple seasons in a single pair of True skates. I skate about 15+ hours a week on average and my last pair of CCM/Bauer skates looked pretty beat up after 4 months. 

Well we will agree to disagree I guess. 

Like I said I’ve been in my skates for 3 years and can’t say they have durability issues. Aside from normal wear and tear over 3 years my skates have held up great. 

1 minute ago, strosedefence34 said:

Well we will agree to disagree I guess. 

Like I said I’ve been in my skates for 3 years and can’t say they have durability issues. Aside from normal wear and tear over 3 years my skates have held up great. 

Every pair of skates is going to be different. Too many variables and factors. I totally understand your pair of skates and the Bauer/CCM models you might interact with are holding up decently well but the ones I see, at any of our three stores, dont hold up nearly as well when you compare them to True skates. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying Bauer or CCM dont make good skate. They do! I adore the FT1/FT2 skates! I just speaking from my own personal experiences. 

6 hours ago, Larry54 said:

I'm just trying to help. A simple "No" would have answered my question.

Lary54,

I did not mean to upset you or anybody, I was trying to be funny and just thought I would give "the once over again" with what I can't believe has to be a joke played on me by someone at True. Otherwise what the heck could have happened to quality control?

Meanwhile waiting for a third pair having really lost over 8 games so far. I did have the too big Trues, but then had to fall back on a bad pair of skates that I have torn apart.

Again, my apologies and also for not getting my photos up yet, I will have to get to work on that it is just that I am not the best with getting my photos up to MSH.

Cheers

Edited by smu
replaced a phrase + cleared some space

2 hours ago, smu said:

Again, my apologies and also for not getting my photos up yet, I will have to get to work on that it is just that I am not the best with getting my photos up to MSH.

Cheers

Side note as I hold my white flag up...

You mention photos on MSH.  We're considering opening up the option to have access to uploading directly on MSH.  It would be something you'd have to pay for, ad we would have to pay for additional resources to handle the load.

Do you guys think it's a feature you'd like us to implement?

3 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Side note as I hold my white flag up...

You mention photos on MSH.  We're considering opening up the option to have access to uploading directly on MSH.  It would be something you'd have to pay for, ad we would have to pay for additional resources to handle the load.

Do you guys think it's a feature you'd like us to implement?

What's up?

I just realized I could not upload and I thought I could before. Others have photos? What an I doing wrong. I am sure someone would love to see my size 5 Bauers next to my True skates and now waiting for my third pair?