Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

11 hours ago, yychockey said:

I finally got a chance to get my first skate on my new Trues. Definitely feels different than any other skate I've ever had, and in a good way. The skate was very comfortable. The only thing I noticed after being on them for a while was my arches were a bit sore. This may just go away with time, but I have a new pair of yellow Superfeet sitting around and I may try them in the skates with the regular insoles removed. Anyone tried Superfeet insoles in True skates? Good or bad idea with the sole of the skate being somewhat shaped to the foot already?

When I got my VH's several years ago, i swore I had "arch pain" . In fact, it was the navicular area just above the arch that needed to be spot heated along with using the tissue technique. Try to determine the red pressure points of pain on your foot and transfer it to the skate (see VH/True lipstick technique) to determine the origin of discomfort. 

Edited by endomaniac

1 hour ago, endomaniac said:

When I got my VH's several years ago, i swore I had "arch pain" . In fact, it was the navicular area just above the arch that needed to be spot heated along with using the tissue technique. Try to determine the red pressure points of pain on your foot and transfer it to the skate (see VH/True lipstick technique) to determine the origin of discomfort. 

had pain in my arch, right behind the ball of my foot. I cut that section out of the red insole and the pain went away. I think there was too much lift in the arch in my case. I also noticed that Baier SpeedPlates worked well for me too. 

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Any pain I had when I got my VH was alleviated by not tying the skate so tight. There's no reason to tie tightly with that kind of foot wrap. 

I also see a lot of issues with customers who get their VH/TRUE skates and then crank on the laces, and/or lace from the outside in, and/or use wax laces. I feel like non-waxed laces and lacing from the inside out allows the laces to slip a little and properly distribute the tightness across the entire facing of the skate. Also, as mentioned, you should pull them enough to remove the slack but it's not really necessary to crank down on the laces. 

2 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I also see a lot of issues with customers who get their VH/TRUE skates and then crank on the laces, and/or lace from the outside in, and/or use wax laces. I feel like non-waxed laces and lacing from the inside out allows the laces to slip a little and properly distribute the tightness across the entire facing of the skate. Also, as mentioned, you should pull them enough to remove the slack but it's not really necessary to crank down on the laces. 

Completely agree with everything you said. Unlike off the shelf skates where you're pulling hard to try to wrap the facing around your foot, with VH it just wasn't necessary. Just enough to be snug. And I dumped waxed laces almost immediately. 

24 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Completely agree with everything you said. Unlike off the shelf skates where you're pulling hard to try to wrap the facing around your foot, with VH it just wasn't necessary. Just enough to be snug. And I dumped waxed laces almost immediately. 

With too end skates that are completely thermoformable, you don't need to crank on the laces either. With the as1s I find I tie them just as tight ( which is just enough to remove the slack / a touch tighter). 

As for waxed laces I always used them with my trues but that's mainly bc I like the thinner look of waxed laces. So just for esthetics. 

2 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I use waxed laces and I like them...personal preference.  I do tie my Trues pretty loosely though.

14 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Outside in might come from MLX. Cruikshank pushed that lacing pattern quite a bit. Graf waxed laces have just enough give to allow for that movement, I find. More wax than that is too much.

12 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Off the shelf skates can fit nicely with "just snug" lacing, if they're a decent fit match for one's foot shape. I've skated comfortably in 703's with just snug lacing on the first eyelet over the toes and the third from the top. The rest I just pulled close enough to take out the slack. 703's fit me really well, though.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:34 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Cool so we get to hear the story just one more time. 

your reply make me laugh..... cool story bro, tell it one more time...hahah

So after my first set came in and was too small (not sure how that happened) my second set arrived a few weeks later.

When getting them baked I noticed that my instep is still protruding out of the boot however at least the skate wasn’t too small in length.  They feel way better than the first pair I got but I still have this issue with the instep, which after lacing (I don’t tie it tight because I can’t take the pain) it still hurts from the down pressure of the laces.  Also there’s a bit of negative space in the arch on both feet and due to the instep problem it’s jot like I have any more room to give to fill the void.  Both holders have a very loud click when standing, walking and skating (prolly an easy fix).  Also (not sure if I’m just being nit picky here) the carbon fiber that is showing has a lot of pitting and holes in it like they forgot the top coat, just weird.  If everyone else’s has that then I’m not really worried but my first pair didn’t have that carbon fiber issue.

I did try playing 2 games in these and both times my toes went numb by the end of the game and when pulling off the skate the top of my instep was red AF.  I want these to work because I love the pitch, the cut of the boot, the foot wrap (which I hope the instep issue can be resolved) and even though they aren’t fitting me well at the moment I can see why people like this skate.  Not sure if there are any tricks to gain a few more mm in material height but I will go back to my fitter and let them work their magic.

its such a bummer to deal with this but as most of you have said, true seems to be willing to make it right and until they do I’ll be here waiting.

How does this pass qc ?? I've noticed that since they changed their carbon fiber weave, there have been way more substandard cf finish... Seems like the pitting in the cf coating is on every single skate that comes out of the factory. 

4 minutes ago, chikinpotpie said:

That's the difference between form and function. If the skate performs as it should, cosmetic issues don't matter. 

Ya but you'd think there's a level of pride in the way something looks. It's like saying it doesn't matter if you buy a brand new car with orange peel scuffs etc bc it won't affect it's performance. 

20 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Ya but you'd think there's a level of pride in the way something looks. It's like saying it doesn't matter if you buy a brand new car with orange peel scuffs etc bc it won't affect it's performance. 

Funny analogy, I've always had two types of customers when I worked on making cars go fast.

Some guys who were serious about speed didn't care much about the paint job (or even rust!), others had money to burn on layers and layers of paint. It's ok to be both, but both exist.

35 minutes ago, Giltis said:

Funny analogy, I've always had two types of customers when I worked on making cars go fast.

Some guys who were serious about speed didn't care much about the paint job (or even rust!), others had money to burn on layers and layers of paint. It's ok to be both, but both exist.

For me, personally, as long as it doesn't affect the integrity of the skate I don't really care but as a company producing a brand new item (not refurb etc), I just don't understand why they don't think esthetics is important, bc the reality is that it is to the majority of people out there.

But that’s not really aesthetics, just cosmetics. The way it relates to the sense of touch appears to be primary in this case. Cosmetically, their skates could be better, but they’ve always played that angle of their skates down; thankfully, I’d add: it’s refreshing to have a decent skate on the market without all of the garish flourishes of the others.

Edited by flip12
  • Like 1

I don’t find CCM AS1 and Bauer 2s Pro garish, quite understated and tasteful actually. It is an aesthetic issue, and to me it suggests sloppiness, and makes me wonder how deep that sloppiness goes. My concerns could be completely unfounded, but IMO they should pay more attention to the first impressions. BTW  Bauer Custom are handmade, and immaculately finished. 

• Like 1

Taste is notoriously subjective, but I think it's clear the skates you mentioned are still in the blinged category, even if Bauer's trying to suppress it in the new Supremes. I just can't look at that skate and not feel like vomiting after what they've done to the one90 legacy line. It's just such a disgrace.

How is the composite finish an aesthetic issue rather than a cosmetic issue?

Those pits in the finish are voids. It is most likely cosmetic, as it is in the outermost finish ply. But it also implies that the resin did not completely wet out; not a problem in the outer layer but is in the structural layers (most likely there are few voids underneath).  Some fabric twill patterns wet out better than others. 

Edited by bunnyman666

I think most people looking at True's are looking for an alternative to the big two due to not being able to get anything from the other brands to work for them so I think for a lot of people, aesthetics aren't a primary concern to them. It should go without saying that the custom Bauer & CCM skates look a lot nicer than True's. Do True's look like a project from a high school shop class? Yes, but I'm tolerant of it on mine as I knew that going in that they're less-refined looking than the ones coming from Bauer or CCM. Bauer & CCM have an 80+ year head start so they better look really sharp.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CigarScott said:

I think most people looking at True's are looking for an alternative to the big two due to not being able to get anything from the other brands to work for them so I think for a lot of people, aesthetics aren't a primary concern to them. It should go without saying that the custom Bauer & CCM skates look a lot nicer than True's. Do True's look like a project from a high school shop class? Yes, but I'm tolerant of it on mine as I knew that going in that they're less-refined looking than the ones coming from Bauer or CCM. Bauer & CCM have an 80+ year head start so they better look really sharp.

I agree 100%! I certainly am forgiving of the looks as long as the voids are cosmetic, which I surmise they are!

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

Taste is notoriously subjective, but I think it's clear the skates you mentioned are still in the blinged category, even if Bauer's trying to suppress it in the new Supremes. I just can't look at that skate and not feel like vomiting after what they've done to the one90 legacy line. It's just such a disgrace.

How is the composite finish an aesthetic issue rather than a cosmetic issue?

Yes you are obviously right that taste is subjective, that said we really do completely disagree, I find the Supreme 2s Pro understated, just a few touches of yellow on black. The True skate has those ugly blingy stripes on the side. 🙂 But honestly, at the end of the day as long as they are not flourescent pink, with lime green laces ... it’s the function that counts. 

Cosmetic and aesthetic overlap. It is cosmetic in that it affects the surface, and maybe below too, and it is aesthetic as it makes it look poor. However, I will leave owners to give their feedback and views. 

My Bauer APX2 customs are flawless in terms of construction, performance, and aesthetics. And remain so 5 years later aside from normal wear and tear from puck marks et al. 

This isn’t an optimizer where you have to compromise on one dimension in order to nail the others. True just doesn’t have their sh*t together when it comes to QC on their finishes, end of story. Every other pair I’ve seen would have been sold as a deeply discounted cosmetic blem at a big box retailer if it were Bauer/CCM/Graf/Easton. 

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 4