Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

2 hours ago, smu said:

Just to say that I am through with True, in a very short manner, so I don't offend anyone!

But nobody asked for that information. 

Regardless, it’s good that the drama has finally come to an end.

Howdy,

4 hours ago, smu said:

Just to say that I am through with True, in a very short manner, so I don't offend anyone!

Sorry to read that.  It certainly seems like you might have suffered from some self inflicted wounds in your saga, but its unfortunate that True wasn't able to work with you to come up with a solution anyway.

Good luck with the CCM/other options.

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Sorry to read that.  It certainly seems like you might have suffered from some self inflicted wounds in your saga, but its unfortunate that True wasn't able to work with you to come up with a solution anyway.

Good luck with the CCM/other options.

Mark

I find the responses to smu odd. Self inflicted wounds? How so? Yes his posts could be very repetitive and they became boring, and uninformative, but he seems to have had an appalling time. 

• Like 2

Looking into the one piece goalie skate. Of course I have to see if I could install an Overdrive blade on the skate; if so- it will be bought for my business! I have to have a pair to show that it can be done!  Bwahaha!!! Anywho- I will be very interested in seeing how the scan process will be compared to the tracing process. I am kind of hoping they could refer to how my last boot was built, as it is damned close to perfection! Do they still take into account all of your sore spots? Has anyone here ordered the one piece goal skate? If so, how do you like it?

I haven’t, but I’m leaning that way. I’ve heard zero stories of the holder breaking after a couple years so at this point I’d trust it enough to buy. 

10 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Looking into the one piece goalie skate. Of course I have to see if I could install an Overdrive blade on the skate; if so- it will be bought for my business! I have to have a pair to show that it can be done!  Bwahaha!!! Anywho- I will be very interested in seeing how the scan process will be compared to the tracing process. I am kind of hoping they could refer to how my last boot was built, as it is damned close to perfection! Do they still take into account all of your sore spots? Has anyone here ordered the one piece goal skate? If so, how do you like it?

What are these Overdrive enhancements? I went to your website and am still not clear on what they are and what they do. 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

What are these Overdrive enhancements? I went to your website and am still not clear on what they are and what they do. 

In essence, they go on the outsole and prevent slippage and help movement in the crease. Once you experience them, it all comes together. 

Not my website, by the way. I just sell the blades at my sharpening business.

Edited by bunnyman666

36 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Basically extra blades you attach to the inner toe area so those with a lack of flexibility or skill are able to push off using their toe instead of their skate blade. 

Its kind of like the same idea behind people that use Step Extreme... typically making up for some sort of technique deficiency.

Very illegal pretty much anywhere except adult level recreation leagues.

what11.jpg

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

Basically extra blades you attach to the inner toe area so those with a lack of flexibility or skill are able to push off using their toe instead of their skate blade. 

Its kind of like the same idea behind people that use Step Extreme... typically making up for some sort of technique deficiency.

Very illegal pretty much anywhere except adult level recreation leagues.

what11.jpg

Or @Nicholas G, it was explained by a more eloquent guy. ^

13 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Haha no judging. In adult divisions get all the advantage you can! 

I actually use it to prevent slipouts more than anything! John MacLeod, the Overdrive creator, moves with these in a way that one could only dream of. The one thing I loved about cowling-free was that these weren’t needed for me!

Originally, they were developed because he sharpened his skates beyond sharpening (pre-replaceable runners on cowlings). 

A young Jonathan Quick used these back in the day. 

8 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I haven’t, but I’m leaning that way. I’ve heard zero stories of the holder breaking after a couple years so at this point I’d trust it enough to buy. 

It would not be all that hard to fix, frankly.

I guess the next question is this: can you spec more beef in the construction of your boot if you’re buying goalie boots? I can take care of that *if* needed; I’d rather they build it beefier than me adding my own protection. They will make it purtier than I; though my mould making skills are improving again. A mask may be finished as early as June as I almost have the shape I want and I will be refining the mould. Sorry for the digression. I’d rather not mod a brand new product if avoidable, besides the installation of a pair of Overdrives! 

Repair of the blade holder would be very easy if anything were to happen to it and that is actually making me feel better about buying the one piece.  

2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I guess the next question is this: can you spec more beef in the construction of your boot if you’re buying goalie boots? I can take care of that *if* needed; I’d rather they build it beefier than me adding my own protection. They will make it purtier than I; though my mould making skills are improving again. A mask may be finished as early as June as I almost have the shape I want and I will be refining the mould. Sorry for the digression. I’d rather not mod a brand new product if avoidable, besides the installation of a pair of Overdrives! 

Repair of the blade holder would be very easy if anything were to happen to it and that is actually making me feel better about buying the one piece.  

Not from True, though I'm sure it would be easy enough to add ultrastop or something to the boot if you needed. 

27 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Not from True, though I'm sure it would be easy enough to add ultrastop or something to the boot if you needed. 

Kydex is great for abrasion resistance as well as impact absorption. AND heat form able. Hmmmmm

Edited by bunnyman666

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Kydex is great for abrasion resistance as well as impact absorption. AND heat form able. Hmmmmm

I'm sure Kydex would work as well. Maybe apply with some double sided industrial strength foam tape for just a tad bit of cushion, too? 

I was thinking of doing some sort of external heat formed toe cap for my True boots so I could go cowlingless, since mine were made before they started beefing the boots up. 

5 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm sure Kydex would work as well. Maybe apply with some double sided industrial strength foam tape for just a tad bit of cushion, too? 

I was thinking of doing some sort of external heat formed toe cap for my True boots so I could go cowlingless, since mine were made before they started beefing the boots up. 

Foam tape would work. A bit of Kemmeler’s foam (i.e. the original Maltese “gel”) would also work. 

You could actually make something out of fibreglass for the toe cap. I made shot blockers out of fibreglass from Autozone. They worked surprisingly well. Those fibreglass and resin kits are VERY forgiving.

The best and easiest way to heat form is to make a plug of the item you’re heat forming, make a table with peg board material, rig it to take vacuum. The way I remember is to build a frame with a vacuum fitting on the bottom, pegboard for the top with some space between the top and bottom so vacuum can form. Then you’d have it running for the time you pull the heat pliable material and thrown it onto your vacuum former. It’s crude but works pretty well. You’d start with a cheaper material like lexan just to test your crude vacuum former.  I did this years ago for making my own RC car bodies. I crashed them all the time and the racing rules required clean bodies, so I had to economise!  Since the toe cap of a skate is a simple shape, it would be decently easy. 

7 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I guess the next question is this: can you spec more beef in the construction of your boot if you’re buying goalie boots?

Do goalie boots come with shot blockers built in? If you added these (as you can add them to player boots I assume you could add them to goalie boots) then they would beef up the boot considerably. 

7 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Do goalie boots come with shot blockers built in? If you added these (as you can add them to player boots I assume you could add them to goalie boots) then they would beef up the boot considerably. 

I will be doing an enquiry when I go to a dealer who has the goal boot on display. I will be confirming whether or not an Overdrive blade will fit on there. Thanks for reminding me to ask about shot blockers. My skates were originally cowlingless, but a shot hurt me (no broken bones) and I installed a cowling post haste. 

Got my True here are some pictures after about 12-14 games: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q9ZsUlaNzR8PKoO-dFKvCvsA_Dfzp8V1?usp=sharing

Issues: I watched and read all the comments/videos in here and STILL I over tightened my laces on the skates on the 1st bake. Hurt so bad trying to get into them since there is ZERO flex of the boot. Re baked them and it got better, but I had to use a heat gun and spot heat the 4th lace from the top and bend it out. Also, got two tongues and the shot blocker tongue I think is too thick for my liking. I also found out that I have a muscle bump on my right foot that was having issues getting into the skates - once heat spotted the area - getting in is not an issue. 

Comfort: The skate came correct size, my foot-bed is exact size as my old skates. I can just graze with my toe the toebox, but after i heel kick - no longer can touch it. I have zero foot movement and zero negative space. I felt really weird with the tongue being in the toebox at first. Moved it out and it felt empty - so now I am like 70% tongue in my toebox. Really like that feeling now as my toes have a bit of wiggle but still feel locked in place and tucked. 

Protection: I got shot blockers built in and can say that I have lost all fear about blocking shots. I mean 100% worth the shot blockers.(i used to wear plastic wraps)

Performance: You do feel the tilt at first but I got used to it really fast and love the absolute solid boot. I do not think this is a "TRUE" thing but anytime you use a stiff boot you get that awesome performance. Biggest gains are from the stiff boot and zero negative space. 

Looks: I almost went with CCM jetspeeds customs just cuz of the looks - BUT true has now grown on me hardcore. I love the low key look. 

Overall: I hated the tongue in my toebox at first, but really liked that I can adjust it to the way I like it (did not even know I like having the tongue in my toeboex -sounds dirty but yeah). Had tons of pain getting into them after 1st bake - had to heat spot to fix it. Overall - love them. It is really awesome to get into the boot and just feel the comfy grip that the skate takes over your foot. Most comfortable skate I have had yet.  Might get superfeet/bauer plates to avoid arch bending but has not been an issue for me. 

Note - I never had any comfort issues with any of the cheaper skates I have owned (Bauer/Easton). Only got True because I can afford it and needed new skates. We have about 7 guys in True on my team now over last 6 months. 

Edited by maximus91
  • Like 3

Very happy I got the added shot blockers to mine too.  Took two hard shots the other night to the same foot.  1st one hit square on the outside of my foot and felt nothing.  2nd one hit square on the inside ankle bone (where the True logo is) and I felt it and it hurt, but was fine after the initial pain.  Skates look fine too - no visible damage.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie
  • Like 2

Hi all,

I seem to recall suggestions about putting clamps around ankle area when baking trues? 

Is that a thing? 

Also, general advice / tips when going through baking process? Anything outside the norm? Going to have them done at the store but I just want to make sure I get it right.

thanks! 

Edited by Healthyscratch

7 minutes ago, Healthyscratch said:

Hi all,

I seem to recall suggestions about putting clamps around ankle area when baking trues? 

Is that a thing? 

Also, general advice / tips when going through baking process? Anything outside the norm? Going to have them done at the store but I just want to make sure I get it right.

thanks! 

I would tie them very loose. especially near the top, because if you get them too tight as they are very moldable after the bake, you will have a hard time getting your foot inside of them - since they do not move. Also get a shoehorn.

As  a Side note - anyone have issues with clicking noise from the holder and the runner? I cant seem to get rid of the blade movement.

Edited by maximus91