Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

2 hours ago, start_today said:

For those of us who don’t know the finer workings of True skates, what exactly is wrong? 

Thats where the tongue connects to the skate, right? Did the stitching rip, or is the material physically broken? 

What needs to be cemented and restitched? 

The tab that's part of the toe cap sheared off. Whoever stitched it put too many holes in it and basically made the tab perforated and it ripped off like a cheque off a chequebook. 

I'm assuming they will use another piece of plastic and cement it on the under side or the toe box to re create the tab... And then see the tab back on the velcro strip. 

Some updated pics.

I ended up rebaking them in the oven at home since my lhs didn't have them nearly hot enough... Pretty sure they had them in the oven no more than five mins. Anyways, I also put my speed plates in and they are good to go. Fit is perfect. No issues with the heel lock and arch on the right skate like I had with my first pair so I guess it was due to my poor lunge stance in my first pair. 

Overall pretty happy with how the SB 4.0s turned out as they look pretty clean Imo. 

As for the tab I ended up just using epoxy to adhere the velcro tab directly onto the underside of the toe box. Doesn't looks like it will loosen as it's really bonded on there.JDiVLFx.jpg 

vx9fVnC.jpg

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 4

Anyone else find that because  the heel pocket on the skates are deeper than other brands (probably due to the scan being done in a lunge like position) that while walking it doesn't feel like the heel is as cupped completely, but when skating or even in a slight lunge it locks in?  Just something I noticed with both pairs I've had. Not sure if this needs to be tweaked or if it's designed this way as the scan is done with ur feet/ankle in the knee bend position for optimal biomechanics when skating.  

1 minute ago, Sniper9 said:

Anyone else find that because  the heel pocket on the skates are deeper than other brands (probably due to the scan being done in a lunge like position) that while walking it doesn't feel like the heel is as cupped completely, but when skating or even in a slight lunge it locks in?  Just something I noticed with both pairs I've had. Not sure if this needs to be tweaked or if it's designed this way as the scan is done with ur feet/ankle in the knee bend position for optimal biomechanics when skating.  

TRUE designs skates for your heel to sit much farther back in the boot. When you are in a hockey stance it locks in. If you try to stand upright it will sit a little outside of the heel cup. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

TRUE designs skates for your heel to sit much farther back in the boot. When you are in a hockey stance it locks in. If you try to stand upright it will sit a little outside of the heel cup. 

And because of this I think a lot of people complain about lack of heel lock when this happens. Even for me I was wondering but it all makes sense when you think about how you're scanned and how the skates are moulded. When standing my toes brush up against the cap just s but more than feathering which I thought would be an issue but once I'm in the skating stance I feel nothing at all and the heel is sucked right in and locked. 

Edited by Sniper9

Just did my final bake and tweaking. I knew of the tensor technique but never really tried it. Then I saw some videos and ig stories where stretch wrap was used and was intrigued bc the stretch wrap seems like it would lock things in more. So I gave it a shot and wow. Such a noticeable difference in everything being locked in and that much more snug. 

After, I moulded my speedplates (still a way bigger fan of the SP 1.0 over there 2.0) and am all set. Shouldn't need any additional tweaking at this point.  Just thought I'd share, especially for those who feel their skates could be locked in more. 

g78PFk3.jpg

Edited by Sniper9

3 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Just did my final bake and tweaking. I knew of the tensor technique but never really tried it. Then I saw some videos and ig stories where stretch wrap was used and was intrigued bc the stretch wrap seems like it would lock things in more. So I gave it a shot and wow. Such a noticeable difference in everything being locked in and that much more snug. 

After, I moulded my speedplates (still a way bigger fan of the SP 1.0 over there 2.0) and am all set. Shouldn't need any additional tweaking at this point.  Just thought I'd share, especially for those who feel their skates could be locked in more. 

4ptvcv6.jpg

This is the way ALL store that sell TRUE skates are supposed to be baking skates. Did they not do this when you bought them? 

39 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

This is the way ALL store that sell TRUE skates are supposed to be baking skates. Did they not do this when you bought them? 

No they didn't. Tbh the guy that moulded them didn't seem to know what he was doing regarding trues skates. He did them as if they were regular retails skates.

The guy that did my scan wasn't in and he's the head true /vh guy. The lhs I went to has done the most vh/true skates in the west coast, that's why I went to them, but unfortunately got someone who didn't really know how to do the moulding. I knew right away it wasn't going to fit bc the skates were barely warm vs hot. 

I don't think the tensor and wrap technique should be done all the time but I would suggest it for ppl with skinny legs/ankles like myself.  It definitely should be something to be considered after a sub satisfactory first bake. 

Good thing these skates are easy to do yourself. I put them five mins on each side with my convection oven and it was nice and toasty and super pliable. Did one skate at a time to be sure and let it cool down for a full 15 mins on my feet. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 3:57 PM, Sniper9 said:

No they didn't. Tbh the guy that moulded them didn't seem to know what he was doing regarding trues skates. He did them as if they were regular retails skates.

The guy that did my scan wasn't in and he's the head true /vh guy. The lhs I went to has done the most vh/true skates in the west coast, that's why I went to them, but unfortunately got someone who didn't really know how to do the moulding. I knew right away it wasn't going to fit bc the skates were barely warm vs hot. 

I don't think the tensor and wrap technique should be done all the time but I would suggest it for ppl with skinny legs/ankles like myself.  It definitely should be something to be considered after a sub satisfactory first bake. 

Good thing these skates are easy to do yourself. I put them five mins on each side with my convection oven and it was nice and toasty and super pliable. Did one skate at a time to be sure and let it cool down for a full 15 mins on my feet. 

If I may ask, where did you go? My stores are located on the west coast and we do a ton of skates. I hope it wasn't Pure Hockey.....

4 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

If I may ask, where did you go? My stores are located on the west coast and we do a ton of skates. I hope it wasn't Pure Hockey.....

I live in Canada. In BC to be specific. I don't want to name names but I think you can put two and two together. This store has done vh skates saying way back when vh just started out rolling into retailers.  I'd go back in a heart beat if I were to ever get another pair. I'm pretty picky though so I think regardless, I would always re bake at home anyways since I can spend as much time to tinker. 

Anyways, was on the ice tonight since the rebake and it felt really good. I really can't believe how much more biomechanically sound these skates make me. So much less effort on strides and feel so much more stable. 

@mc88 I always wanted to know how you found the wick liner on your latest pair (or was it your second pair of vh). I find I sweat a lot as well and the clarino gets a bit slippery for me. I was going to get the wick liner this time around but heard it's not as durable and stayed away. Just wanted to see what your experience was. 

I might also test out different socks. Something cotton that isn't so smooth like the synthetic stuff that all dri fit is made of. 

Edited by Sniper9

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

I live in Canada. In BC to be specific. I don't want to name names but I think you can put two and two together. This store has done vh skates saying way back when vh just started out rolling into retailers.  I'd go back in a heart beat if I were to ever get another pair. I'm pretty picky though so I think regardless, I would always re bake at home anyways since I can spend as much time to tinker. 

Anyways, was on the ice tonight since the rebake and it felt really good. I really can't believe how much more biomechanically sound these skates make me. So much less effort on strides and feel so much more stable. 

@mc88 I always wanted to know how you found the wick liner on your latest pair (or was it your second pair of vh). I find I sweat a lot as well and the clarino gets a bit slippery for me. I was going to get the wick liner this time around but heard it's not as durable and stayed away. Just wanted to see what your experience was. 

I might also test out different socks. Something cotton that isn't so smooth like the synthetic stuff that all dri fit is made of. 

For people that sweat a lot and want a really snug fit it's always best to go with the tan clarino option that they have. 

4 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

For people that sweat a lot and want a really snug fit it's always best to go with the tan clarino option that they have. 

Is there a noticeably different feel in comparison with the standard grey printed liner? I thought that was also Clarino.

9 hours ago, flip12 said:

Is there a noticeably different feel in comparison with the standard grey printed liner? I thought that was also Clarino.

The grey clarino doesn't soak up as much moisture and is noticeably thicker than the tan liner. This is why when you see most of TRUE skates being used by professionals they almost always have the tan liners. It provides much better grip locking the foot into place. 

I usually don't recommend the fabric liner. While it does promote good foot lock and does a great job wicking away moisture, the skates become very heavy and take a long time to dry out fully. It's also not as durable. 

Edited by Nicholas G
  • Like 3

FStQZUu.jpg

My skates finally, after some fiasco with the holders and steel.

It's finally done, had a game last night and it felt incredible. Halfway through the game I felt confident enough to loosen the laces even more.

Credit where credit is due. The guys that I originally sent these skates to have the holders switched, mangled the job (bent the steel as well as a result). But Joe from B-Sharp in Ottawa was able to fix these up better than before, he actually called TRUE to get my scan and their build papers, and consulted with them on how and where to mount these properly, got me back on the ice the next day. Above and beyond work.

Edited by Giltis
Story
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I just got scanned and ordered Trues and apparently the Tan liner is no longer available to retail custom orders. The rep said its due to the cost of the tan liner... not sure why they wouldnt just make it a upcharge. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, dnoboy said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I just got scanned and ordered Trues and apparently the Tan liner is no longer available to retail custom orders. The rep said its due to the cost of the tan liner... not sure why they wouldnt just make it a upcharge. 

TRUE has a snug fit liner they are testing but is not available to the public as of yet. Stay tuned. In the meantime, if you know the right people and ask nicely you can still get the tan clarino. I got them to hook you up 😉 

8 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

TRUE has a snug fit liner they are testing but is not available to the public as of yet. Stay tuned. In the meantime, if you know the right people and ask nicely you can still get the tan clarino. I got them to hook you up 😉 

Thanks again Nicholas! Top notch dude right here

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

I knew I should've waited 🤪

3 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

There is always going to be new stuff released and such. Technology is fairly progressive. 

Yes. But at least with Bauer and CCM you know its two year intervals for specific models. I had a feeling though since it's pretty much two years since the true take over.