Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

5 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

About my broken tab? Well I got my skate back and they pretty much just redid what I initially did by epoxying the Velcro to the underside of the toe box. Which was a waste of time if you ask me. Almost 4 weeks without the skate to have them do what I already did.... Four weeks for something that takes ten mins to do and a 24 hr cure at most   

What made it worse was when they told me it was likely the toe cap would be replaced, and my fitter removed the holder in anticipation of that.  So now I have to go back to my fitter to have the holder reinstalled. 

I'm only inquiring about the bolt system bc I actually like it better and seems like a better solution long term. I'll leave the epoxy until it ( if it) ever starts to fail. 

I personally miss the nut/screw that hed the tongues in as compared to velcro. 

28 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

I personally miss the nut/screw that hed the tongues in as compared to velcro. 

I would imagine it's an easy mod to put on.  It was always Velcro though just a different way to secure the Velcro strip that attached to the tongue. 

Edited by Sniper9

16 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Anyone know what type of nut is on the underside of this. Is it just a t nut like the ones on our helmets? Also, is the thread the same? t0VcBRx.jpg

I still have my first pair of VH skates with the carbon fiber toe cap, and I took this picture of what holds the velcro strip to the toe cap. It's an 8-32 thread.

VH%20screw.jpg

• Thanks 1

Delivery and bake day arrived. I was hoping maybe I'd get lucky and receive the new version since I was so close to release date, no such luck.  First impressions, pretty comfortable during the baking process.  Definitely better fitting after first bake than any other skate I've baked.  I little smaller than I thought they would be.  Coming from a 7.5 CCM where I had a fair amount of room in the toe, it's a little different where my toes brush the end.  Tongue says 7 on them so I assume it's pretty close to that size.  No weird glue or manufacturing issues.  I will however need to re-bake them.  The guy who does all the True stuff at the shop was out of town, I knew this going in.  The gal who helped me hadn't seen the new video with leaving the top 3 eyelets unlaced and shrink wrapping them.  I brought my own shrink wrap but she couldn't get them snug enough.  I figure my kid can help me dial them in tomorrow.  Got 272 blades which I was hoping for.  I can't wait for the first skate.  

On 7/10/2019 at 9:10 PM, Slick50 said:

Does anyone know if the step blades on Trues come with some sort of profile already on them?  

They do not. Just a standard 10ft radius, 

I went up to Castlegar, BC.  I'm not going to lie, I went that way to take advantage of the exchange rate since I am so close to Canada.  Plus get to stop and pick up some Timmy's!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slick50 said:

Delivery and bake day arrived. I was hoping maybe I'd get lucky and receive the new version since I was so close to release date, no such luck.  First impressions, pretty comfortable during the baking process.  Definitely better fitting after first bake than any other skate I've baked.  I little smaller than I thought they would be.  Coming from a 7.5 CCM where I had a fair amount of room in the toe, it's a little different where my toes brush the end.  Tongue says 7 on them so I assume it's pretty close to that size.  No weird glue or manufacturing issues.  I will however need to re-bake them.  The guy who does all the True stuff at the shop was out of town, I knew this going in.  The gal who helped me hadn't seen the new video with leaving the top 3 eyelets unlaced and shrink wrapping them.  I brought my own shrink wrap but she couldn't get them snug enough.  I figure my kid can help me dial them in tomorrow.  Got 272 blades which I was hoping for.  I can't wait for the first skate.  

The tongue or the footbed said 7?  If you want more room, most trues have at least a thin piece of foam on the end of the toe box. But they are supposed to brush. As long as they pull away when you're in ur lunge stance you're fine. 

10 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

The tongue or the footbed said 7?  If you want more room, most trues have at least a thin piece of foam on the end of the toe box. But they are supposed to brush. As long as they pull away when you're in ur lunge stance you're fine. 

The tongue said 7.  I did notice the foam in the toe, might charge the dremel and give myself a little more room. Thanks for the tip.  

Edited by Slick50

3 hours ago, Slick50 said:

The tongue said 7.  I did notice the foam in the toe, might charge the dremel and give myself a little more room. Thanks for the tip.  

Is the foam red or grey. If it's grey you can just pull it out. Even the red I don't think you need a Dremel. 

Can you post a pic or the size on the tongue? Never seen or heard of them putting the size on the tongue. Especially bc they are one size fits all. 

I can't get a pic attached of the tongue, but it has a sticker with a little 7 on it.  As for the toe of the skate, it looks like they may have taped on of those gray pieces in there over the red, just like the ones that are shown in the True videos to make skate smaller.  Took the gray out and I like the way it fits so much more.

Edited by Slick50
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 1:58 PM, Slick50 said:

I can't get a pic attached of the tongue, but it has a sticker with a little 7 on it.  As for the toe of the skate, it looks like they may have taped on of those gray pieces in there over the red, just like the ones that are shown in the True videos to make skate smaller.  Took the gray out and I like the way it fits so much more.

I recently did the same. For some reason they put one plug in my left (which wasn't done on my first pair of Trues two years back) and two plugs on the right (which only had one on my old Trues). It was more than brushing even though my toes would pull away during skating but it felt a bit too much. Ended up just removing the one on the left and leaving just one on the right and they both just brush now. My skates are the same size as my first pair so not sure why they decided to add one extra plug on each skate... 

Has anyone punched the arch on Trues before?  I have extremely flat feet and have had to punch every pair of skates I've owned.  Can they be flattened out like a conventional skate?  There's just a tad too much for my liking.  

1 hour ago, Slick50 said:

Has anyone punched the arch on Trues before?  I have extremely flat feet and have had to punch every pair of skates I've owned.  Can they be flattened out like a conventional skate?  There's just a tad too much for my liking.  

Don't need to . DM for the  details 

4 hours ago, Slick50 said:

I've done the opposite with heat gunning to create more of an arch on my old pairs. I'm assuming you can do the same to flatten. Or the red insole cut our technique if you're using both red and blue footbeds together. 

The "post" portion of the steel looks very long.  Steel pouches will need to be made wider .  Surprised it's not a tooless design as well.  Are they using a skate hook? Does look like a very solid lock up.

Edited by Monty22
  • Like 1

I like that the business part of the mechanism is recessed, I don't like the fact that it requires a tool, but it seems like the regular Bauer one needed a tool sometimes to release the blade anyway.

The barb does in fact look quite long, but I trust that it's for a reason.

6 minutes ago, Giltis said:

I like that the business part of the mechanism is recessed, I don't like the fact that it requires a tool, but it seems like the regular Bauer one needed a tool sometimes to release the blade anyway.

The barb does in fact look quite long, but I trust that it's for a reason.

It might seem like a let down that the release isn’t finger operable, but it looks like quite a firm lock and the tool head’s smaller diameter prioritizes the spatial compactness of the mechanism over tool less handiness. That’s the right order of priorities IMO. Also, it looks like a nice pocket size so an amateur coach can have  one for making quick swaps on the bench during games or practice.

Can the skater do a swap on their own skates while wearing them?

I still think I prefer the CCM design.  The XS uses a positive mechanical lock.  The True holder is still using a spring, which makes it vulnerable to weakening over time.  It also doesn't look serviceable, so if it breaks you're looking at a new holder.  It's clearly an improvement over the Edge design, but not much in my opinion.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, boo10 said:

I still think I prefer the CCM design.  The XS uses a positive mechanical lock.  The True holder is still using a spring, which makes it vulnerable to weakening over time.  It also doesn't look serviceable, so if it breaks you're looking at a new holder.  It's clearly an improvement over the Edge design, but not much in my opinion.

Another benefit is that's the holders are symmetrical no left or right. But for the every day rec player the quick release isnt that beneficial in general. 

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

Good point, not sure about the durability and such. You are likely correct about the inability to service them. Also, I doubt they will make aftermarket steel an option anytime soon, if ever, so those players who prefer to use Flare or something other than STEP, are left behind. 

30 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Another benefit is that's the holders are symmetrical no left or right. But for the every day rec player the quick release isnt that beneficial in general. 

I wish everyone switched to a symmetrical design. It just seems silly to have left and right holders. 

• Like 1