Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

9 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

Is it just on the plastic toe cap area? I've seen a couple of goalie skates painted white. If it's in the plastic try putting some duct tape on the painted area and let it sit for a couple of days before ripping it off. I suspect a good portion of it will come up. Mabe attack the rest with acetone. 

Most of the paint is on the toe cap, but you can tell that they very poorly masked the rest of the boot so there's some overspray on the side of the heel of the boot on the carbon area. Acetone was my first thought but I was wondering if it would have any effect on the finish or glue in and around the boot. 

The surface most likely wasn't prepped before painting so the paint hopefully won't adhere very well. CitriStrip may be an option as well. 

2 hours ago, dimpledballs said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing poorly done spray paint on the toe of the boot and all around? I bought a used pair of goalie true skates and I'm wondering if there's a solution to remove the paint without damaging the rest of the boot. It's just a cosmetic issue and if I'm unable to find a good solution I won't bother, but it's an interesting problem none the less.

You can use some extra strength goof off on a rag. That should take it off without damaging the plastic toe cap. 

As with everything, test a small area first. 

Edited by Nicholas G

Haven't been in this thread for months but I think I'm "biting the bullet" and getting fit for True's this weekend or next. Retail FT1/2 fit me okay but the toe box was too narrow because I have bunions. Got blisters, etc and no real way to punch out. Vapor too narrow in D size, too wide in EE.

Is this new True holder very aggressively pitched like the old CXN? When I had Mako's I ended up putting 1/16'' shims (well, JR did the work....) under the front tower on 10' Step Steel to make me feel a little better balanced. Then I got used to FT1 holders and how they were either a little longer than CXN or even slightly less forward pitched (or maybe longer radius?) so I'm worried looking at this fairly short steel possible combined with a really forward pitched holder.

Can I get some opinions on the XS holder on True skates?

I've heard Edge has rattle/lose blade problems over time. Plus the one Bauer skate I had I didn't like.

CCM SB 4.0 worked great for me on my Tacks.

Cobra Ultra 5000 I also liked on my G9035.

I'm leaning towards the XS but I'm worried their quick release system hasn't been out long so there hasn't been enough time for people to start experiencing issues. Which in turn makes me feel like the SB 4.0 might be the safest bet.

How do these different holders affect skating in terms of pitch and balance if at all?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Shaine said:

I've heard Edge has rattle/lose blade problems over time. Plus the one Bauer skate I had I didn't like.

I'm leaning towards the XS but I'm worried their quick release system hasn't been out long so there hasn't been enough time for people to start experiencing issues. Which in turn makes me feel like the SB 4.0 might be the safest bet.

How do these different holders affect skating in terms of pitch and balance if at all?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

CCM XS has been out for a full season at Pro level. I haven't heard of a single issue. From what I cam tell and have been told the tower is stronger in the back on the XS and the blade movement after a season is relatively non existent compared to the B Trigger. My son had then since Christmas and just took them off for the new True holder. So far liking both. Although the True is lighter with the shorter blade. He doesnt seem to feel any difference at the moment. So all is good. 

I'd highly recommend the XS if your wanting the taller steel and quick release. 

Last I checked the only steel available for the XS holder was stock CCM steel. CCM has a history of making shitty steel. That said, I wouldn't move to the XS holder until STEP or Tydan started offering replacement steel. It did suck having to stick with Bauer steel for the Edge holder. 

28 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Last I checked the only steel available for the XS holder was stock CCM steel. CCM has a history of making shitty steel. That said, I wouldn't move to the XS holder until STEP or Tydan started offering replacement steel. It did suck having to stick with Bauer steel for the Edge holder. 

Not sure where you got this from but both tydan and step makes steel for the XS holder. 

2 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Haven't been in this thread for months but I think I'm "biting the bullet" and getting fit for True's this weekend or next. Retail FT1/2 fit me okay but the toe box was too narrow because I have bunions. Got blisters, etc and no real way to punch out. Vapor too narrow in D size, too wide in EE.

Is this new True holder very aggressively pitched like the old CXN? When I had Mako's I ended up putting 1/16'' shims (well, JR did the work....) under the front tower on 10' Step Steel to make me feel a little better balanced. Then I got used to FT1 holders and how they were either a little longer than CXN or even slightly less forward pitched (or maybe longer radius?) so I'm worried looking at this fairly short steel possible combined with a really forward pitched holder.

I personally found the as1 boots to be more forward pitched than the Trues, but can't comment on the ft1.  I had the SB holders put on my trues with same quad zero profile and felt more on my heels than with the as1.  

47 minutes ago, Shaine said:

Thoughts?

Thanks!

If you don't need a quick release holder then just stick with what you liked, ie SB or Graf cobra. Just remember if you choose anything after market, be sure that your fitter advises true to drill holes specifically for the holder you choose and to have your skates delivered unmounted (since you can't get boot only anymore). 

Edited by Sniper9

7 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

I personally found the as1 boots to be more forward pitched than the Trues, but can't comment on the ft1.  I had the SB holders put on my trues with same quad zero profile and felt more on my heels than with the as1.  

That's a first. The AS1 boot and CCM steel are neutral in overall design. The TRUE skate is going to be pitched much more aggressively. I have never heard the opposite form anyone so you are definitely the first. In fact, I had a player who switched to TRUE from a pair of AS1 and had to switch back because he could not get accustomed to the pitch in the boot no matter what we did to his steel. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

If you don't need a quick release holder then just stick with what you liked, ie SB or Graf cobra. Just remember if you choose anything after market, be sure that your fitter advises true to drill holes specifically for the holder you choose and to have your skates delivered unmounted (since you can't get boot only anymore). 

You switched from True holders to SB 4.0 right? Was it the same type of steel on both? Did you feel any difference in your balance and skating after making the switch?

9 minutes ago, Shaine said:

You switched from True holders to SB 4.0 right? Was it the same type of steel on both? Did you feel any difference in your balance and skating after making the switch?

I did the same switch from the old style stock holders to the SB4.0, and it feels great. Nothing I didn't get used to after a couple of times out.

Switching to SB4.0 feels better on hard starts and stops, but on the other hand feels a bit like I'm catching my toes a little during long strides.

I was measured to be a bit faster, but there are so many factors a play that I don't think I can say that really. 

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

My FT1 steel was bad, about as bad as the old LS was years ago. I think I got... 4-5 skates on my runners before I felt the edges going. With my STEP previous to that, I could probably go 20+ skates before it really needed a sharpening and often it wasn't too bad. I felt a significant drop in grip with the stock FT1 steel where with STEP is was more of small, gradual reduction in edge.

So yeah I'm kind of torn. Definitely want STEP but also don't want to feel like I'm up on my toes all game. I felt the stock set up on FT1 was more neutral and a bit easier on my feet/legs.

21 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

My FT1 steel was bad, about as bad as the old LS was years ago. I think I got... 4-5 skates on my runners before I felt the edges going. With my STEP previous to that, I could probably go 20+ skates before it really needed a sharpening and often it wasn't too bad. I felt a significant drop in grip with the stock FT1 steel where with STEP is was more of small, gradual reduction in edge.

So yeah I'm kind of torn. Definitely want STEP but also don't want to feel like I'm up on my toes all game. I felt the stock set up on FT1 was more neutral and a bit easier on my feet/legs.

It was suggested to me by JR that if I wanted Step quality like steel but the profile of a standard CCM steel that I should give Tydan a try. That might be your best bet.

6 minutes ago, Shaine said:

It was suggested to me by JR that if I wanted Step quality like steel but the profile of a standard CCM steel that I should give Tydan a try. That might be your best bet.

Actually, I just went to check STEPs website and they apparently make runners for the XS holder? They list the XS, E Pro and SB4.0. So... I could get the XS holder on the True's with STEP and be good.

Do they back the Blacksteel for the XS holder or even the SB4.0? I'm not dead set on XS but it is nice to be able to have the ability to change steel on the go if I wanted and that black looks pretty sick.

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Not sure where you got this from but both tydan and step makes steel for the XS holder. 

That's why I said, last I checked, which was back when the holder was first released. At the time I could only find CCM replacement steel. 

Edited by stick9

8 minutes ago, stick9 said:

That's why I said, last I checked, which was back when the holder was first released. At the time I could only find CCM replacement steel. 

When the holder was first released to the GP step was available for sure. There were even pro stock ones available on sideline before the release date with step. I remember checking around that time and tydan was also available. 

23 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

Actually, I just went to check STEPs website and they apparently make runners for the XS holder? They list the XS, E Pro and SB4.0. So... I could get the XS holder on the True's with STEP and be good.

Do they back the Blacksteel for the XS holder or even the SB4.0? I'm not dead set on XS but it is nice to be able to have the ability to change steel on the go if I wanted and that black looks pretty sick.

I'm pretty stocked on XS black and regular I'm sure most others are  y now as well as Nash had a bunch months ago. And  no issues shipping if not in Canada. (If not available where you are)

1 hour ago, Shaine said:

My current pair of Trues I had the SB holders put on right away. I only had the true holders on for about a couple mths for my first pair of Trues back in 2017. I honestly didn't have any issues with the true holders performance wise. The only reason I went to SB this time was bc I just bought brand new step blacksteel for my as1s and didn't want to waste them. It didn't make sense to have them collect dust and spend another 140+ cdn on blacksteel for the true holders which were special order with a wait time of about a month.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

I'm pretty stocked on XS black and regular I'm sure most others are  y now as well as Nash had a bunch months ago. And  no issues shipping if not in Canada. (If not available where you are)

Good to know. I'll probably order the True's then thru my hockey shop with the XS + Blacksteel, and then if I like that feel and performance, order a back up set of runners.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

That's a first. The AS1 boot and CCM steel are neutral in overall design. The TRUE skate is going to be pitched much more aggressively. I have never heard the opposite form anyone so you are definitely the first. In fact, I had a player who switched to TRUE from a pair of AS1 and had to switch back because he could not get accustomed to the pitch in the boot no matter what we did to his steel. 

Ya I've always read that people felt the true holders and or skates were more forward pitched... Maybe it has more to do with the eyelet location on the boots? I noticed that the way they are positioned (top eyelet lower than other skates especially the taller as1 boot) it forces you into a more forward knee bend without having to drop an eyelet. That's the only time I felt a bit toe pickish when I first stepped k the ice, but it wasn't something I struggled to get used to. 

Does anyone know how the holes of the new Shift holder line up compared to the regular true/VH holder? I haven't had a chance to do a swap yet. 

14 minutes ago, Bizz22 said:

Does anyone know how the holes of the new Shift holder line up compared to the regular true/VH holder? I haven't had a chance to do a swap yet. 

The heel matches, mostly, but you need to redrill the front. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 2:30 PM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

The size I need, Nash and everyone else is out.