Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Have my fitting scheduled for Sat. Hoping the lead time isn't too long and that there's no issues, I think fall/winter season starts in about 6 weeks. Ideally would want to get them on the ice a few times first before games, too.

2 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

Have my fitting scheduled for Sat. Hoping the lead time isn't too long and that there's no issues, I think fall/winter season starts in about 6 weeks. Ideally would want to get them on the ice a few times first before games, too.

Right now I think timelines for delivery are about 3.5 weeks including shipping time. 

4 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Right now I think timelines for delivery are about 3.5 weeks including shipping time. 

Any advice for things to do/ask during fitting or when the skates arrive? One thing I want to ask them about is trying to fix my over pronation on my left foot. Have flat feet but maybe some other issues going on in knee/hips and my left foot specifically while on ice tends to always want to fall toward the inside edge. I know it's a bit of ankle weakness from injury incurred but I think it's also partly just my anatomy.

4 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Any advice for things to do/ask during fitting or when the skates arrive? One thing I want to ask them about is trying to fix my over pronation on my left foot. Have flat feet but maybe some other issues going on in knee/hips and my left foot specifically while on ice tends to always want to fall toward the inside edge. I know it's a bit of ankle weakness from injury incurred but I think it's also partly just my anatomy.

Try to get fitted later in the day, as you foot can expand during the day. (and if you're typically playing at night, this can be a factor).  Make sure they put you in the proper stance when scanning and there's decent lighting.  Have them take pictures of each foot and more pictures for problem spots.  Communicate any issues you've had with previous skates and any general foot issues.  If it's not inconvenient, bring your current pair of skates and show the fitter what you like, don't like about them.

When they arrive, make sure you are wearing your socks you typically skate in.  Make sure the fitter bakes the skates for the proper amount of time (True's take a little longer in the oven typically).  If you can, try to bake them one at a time, and don't tie full tight.  Use a long shoehorn to get your feet into the skates after baking so you don't mess up the liner.

From my experience, Aug-Oct is a busy time for True skates, as they're getting everyone ready for the upcoming season, including pros.  So production time usually is a bit longer.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

8 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Try to get fitted later in the day, as you foot can expand during the day. (and if you're typically playing at night, this can be a factor).  Make sure they put you in the proper stance when scanning and there's decent lighting.  Have them take pictures of each foot and more pictures for problem spots.  Communicate any issues you've had with previous skates and any general foot issues.  If it's not inconvenient, bring your current pair of skates and show the fitter what you like, don't like about them.

When they arrive, make sure you are wearing your socks you typically skate in.  Make sure the fitter bakes the skates for the proper amount of time (True's take a little longer in the oven typically).  If you can, try to bake them one at a time, and don't tie full tight.  Use a long shoehorn to get your feet into the skates after baking so you don't mess up the liner.

From my experience, Aug-Oct is a busy time for True skates, as they're getting everyone ready for the upcoming season, including pros.  So production time usually is a bit longer.

Getting my fitting around 1pm so... while not later on in the day it's at least not in the very morning.

Will they go on pretty much like Makos? I usually had to unlace 2 full eyelets, put them on at an angle, etc. Kind of a PITA but I could probably skate in those totally unlaced. Could not do that with my FT1.

And yes, the owner said I def needed to come in ASAP to try and avoid the ramp up for the NHL. Earliest they could do for fitting was this Sat so hopefully I can get them by early Sept. I'm actually going out of the country from Sept 12 - 23 so that would be kind of bad timing if they didn't arrive prior to that.

I don't have experience with Makos, but the Trues are a PITA to get on if you've never tried them before.  You sorta have to twist you foot into them.  When I had mine baked, I asked the fitter to sorta bend out the top eyelet area so it wouldn't be insanely hard to get my foot into the boot in the future.  However, I prefer a lot of forward flexion and previously skated with my top eyelet undone, so I didn't mind the slight loss of support at the top.

8 hours ago, z1ggy said:

About a week ago I was told 4 to 5 weeks.

Has anyone here recently had any experience with Junior sized True skates? Particularly around a size 5.

I'm in the process of having a pair made but I'm quite worried after reading the saga SMU went through with junior sizing. Also my first pair of Trues (no scan) I ended up with size 6 skates that felt too big and just never fit quite right.

Going from size 254mm holder to 246 in order to accommodate the size 5 boot has me a bit apprehensive. Hopefully I will adjust and prefer it.

Anyone else in a size 6.5 - 7 mens sneaker? What size is your boot and holder? Sneakers I bought this year were a size 7.5 but only to accommodate my wide forefoot and now that they stretched out a bit I'm pretty sure I'm a size 7 or 6.5.

Edited by Shaine

3 hours ago, Shaine said:

Has anyone here recently had any experience with Junior sized True skates? Particularly around a size 5.

I'm in the process of having a pair made but I'm quite worried after reading the saga SMU went through with junior sizing. Also my first pair of Trues (no scan) I ended up with size 6 skates that felt too big and just never fit quite right.

Going from size 254mm holder to 246 in order to accommodate the size 5 boot has me a bit apprehensive. Hopefully I will adjust and prefer it.

Anyone else in a size 6.5 - 7 mens sneaker? What size is your boot and holder? Sneakers I bought this year were a size 7.5 but only to accommodate my wide forefoot and now that they stretched out a bit I'm pretty sure I'm a size 7 or 6.5.

You shouldn't gauge it off your shoe size since that's not standardized throughout different brands. Your best bet is the sizing on a skate brannock. If I fit junior sizing, I would have opted for the retail jr sizes (if available in your area).  I'm sure your fitter could order a retail size x in jr too, but I could be wrong. 

Getting oversized holders is also an option if you didn't want to go down a holder size. 

But at this point I guess you'll have to wait and see. If you end up getting skates too big and what smu got, return them and make a fuss. Not sure if true has trouble making jr skate sizes for adults bc the Sr boots need to be stiffer or constructed to bear the extra weight... But it seems to be an issue the smaller the sizes are....

12 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

That’s about the time it took me to get mine, roller 

6 hours ago, Shaine said:

We have don't a lot of junior skates and haven't had any issues except for one recently which was a size 3 for a high level female player. Everything fit well except she felt the toe cap was too roomy and not snug enough. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

You shouldn't gauge it off your shoe size since that's not standardized throughout different brands. Your best bet is the sizing on a skate brannock. If I fit junior sizing, I would have opted for the retail jr sizes (if available in your area).  I'm sure your fitter could order a retail size x in jr too, but I could be wrong. 

Getting oversized holders is also an option if you didn't want to go down a holder size. 

But at this point I guess you'll have to wait and see. If you end up getting skates too big and what smu got, return them and make a fuss. Not sure if true has trouble making jr skate sizes for adults bc the Sr boots need to be stiffer or constructed to bear the extra weight... But it seems to be an issue the smaller the sizes are....

I wish my foot shape fit into junior skates properly. I've owned some CCM Tacks in size 5.5 EE with the front near the toe cap area punched out. I ended up developing calluses on the outside of my toes b/c the forefoot still wasn't wide enough and I was never able to get a heel lock either due to narrow heels. (duck feet if you will) lol. Also, I have little extra room in these and if they came with a wider forefoot and toe box I would probably fit into size 5.0 Tacks no problem.

CCM scan has me in size 5.0 Tacks. Bauer has me in a Nexus, 4.75 one foot and 5.0 on the other. 

My True scan apparently recommends size 5.0 and with a 246mm holder. I don't think the 254 would fit on a True 5.0 boot considering my current ones are size 6.0 and the holder barely fits on one of the boots and the other has minimal space. I'm not too sure why this is because my Tacks 5.5 have SB 4.0 255 mm holders on them and even have slight extra space. Maybe it just has something to do with the way each skate is made, IDK.

Got my True scan done today. Getting them with XS holder and the stock steel for now... Might toss Step in later. 3-4 week lead time, I'm guesing closer to the 4 weeks

13 minutes ago, Shaine said:

I also went with the XS holders. I ordered some Step Blacksteel to go along with it. Hoping I get the skates in the next couple of weeks.

Hopefully the holders and steel you got match the size on the skates 👀👀. Or did you get them to predrill for the xs in 246?

Edited by Sniper9

53 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Hopefully the holders and steel you got match the size on the skates 👀👀. Or did you get them to predrill for the xs in 246?

I went with the 247*.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shaine said:

I also went with the XS holders. I ordered some Step Blacksteel to go along with it. Hoping I get the skates in the next couple of weeks.

I may order some step black steel. Just a quick call to my pro shop and I'll let them sort out which size to get.. No idea what size I'm even getting to be honest so, don't know what holder size they went with. 

Anyone know what the actual thickness spec of the standard felt tongue is? Is it similar to the thickness (3/8") or the Nash tongues. 

Edited by Sniper9

12 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Anyone know what the actual thickness spec of the standard felt tongue is? Is it similar to the thickness (3/8") or the Nash tongues. 

The new standard tongue or the previous generation? 

2 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

The new standard tongue or the previous generation? 

Previous. I thought the new tongue was just a thinner tongue option available? Or has it replaced the previous altogether, and there is still a thin option available. 

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Previous. I thought the new tongue was just a thinner tongue option available? Or has it replaced the previous altogether, and there is still a thin option available. 

The new thin tongue is now the standard. You can still get the thicker tongue, which was the standard on the previous version. You just need to specify such in the order. 

As for the thickness of the previous standard version, about 3/8" is correct. 

Edited by Nicholas G
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

The new thin tongue is now the standard. You can still get the thicker tongue, which was the standard on the previous version. You just need to specify such in the order. 

As for the thickness of the previous standard version, about 3/8" is correct. 

Cool thanks. Is there an option for something even thicker than the 3/8? I'm guessing they probably could do it upon special request...

I'm thinking of getting the sniper tongues in the future to replace the true tongue since they are cheaper where I am, and also I like the extra length at the bottom that would cover the entire toebox area 

Edited by Sniper9

23 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Cool thanks. Is there an option for something even thicker than the 3/8? I'm guessing they probably could do it upon special request...

I'm thinking of getting the sniper tongues in the future to replace the true tongue since they are cheaper where I am, and also I like the extra length at the bottom that would cover the entire toebox area 

I would look at the tongue with enhanced impact protection. They are the same thickness but have a beefy metatarsal guard.