Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

What size is that?  I weighed the size 8 sample skate with the new holder and steel and it came in at 750 grams.  Skate needs a couple of more improvements IMO, but the weight reduction is a good one.

3 hours ago, mojo122 said:

What size is that?  I weighed the size 8 sample skate with the new holder and steel and it came in at 750 grams.  Skate needs a couple of more improvements IMO, but the weight reduction is a good one.

Size 8. 

3 hours ago, mojo122 said:

What improvements do you have in mind?

1 hour ago, mojo122 said:

Better footbed and a better attachment system for the tendon guard.

Are you having issues with the tendon guards coming loose? I've never had any issues, and generally you shouldn't unless you push on them when removing the skates. 

The footbeds will always be meh. Every skate out there comes with garbage footbeds. At least with trues the arch support it built in so essentially you only really need something that will cover the rivets and provide some cushion. Some grip on the footbeds would be nice though. 

What I think they need to change is how the tongue attaches to the toe box. Something more than a few stitches on a small plastic tab. 

The loop Velcro on the tongues are also garbage. After changing the position of your tongue a few times the loop starts to fuzz out pretty quick. Would be nice if they used s better loop velcro and in combination with maybe a snap or button to keep it locked it a bit better. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Leif said:

Those look a lot neater than usual, no obvious glue blobs. 

They've been pretty consistent with issues regarding glue residue etc lately, from what I have seen online at least. Still see some pretty bad stitching and eyelet placements though. 

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Are you having issues with the tendon guards coming loose? I've never had any issues, and generally you shouldn't unless you push on them when removing the skates. 

The footbeds will always be meh. Every skate out there comes with garbage footbeds. At least with trues the arch support it built in so essentially you only really need something that will cover the rivets and provide some cushion. Some grip on the footbeds would be nice though. 

What I think they need to change is how the tongue attaches to the toe box. Something more than a few stitches on a small plastic tab. 

The loop Velcro on the tongues are also garbage. After changing the position of your tongue a few times the loop starts to fuzz out pretty quick. Would be nice if they used s better loop velcro and in combination with maybe a snap or button to keep it locked it a bit better. 

The new skates have a different type of hook/loop velcro that is much more durable. However I would love to see them use snaps or something more durable as some players really yank on the skate tongue. I get a lot of customers requesting to hard stich the tongue in their skates or to add button snaps. 

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Still on VH skates, but I had both my copper rivets on the tendon guards fail and replaced them with t-nuts. Never pushed on the tendon guard and keep them at the rink rather than tossing them in a bag or something.

3 hours ago, flip12 said:

Does the new tongue have a moderately stiff thermoplastic piece running 90% of its length like the MLX tongue had?

Not the new standard thin tongue. The optional one does. 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

Not the new standard thin tongue. The optional one does. 

What is the new one’s material makeup? Foam, felt, and leather? Can you share some detailed views of it?

So if anyone remembers this far back, when I first got my VH I ripped the Achilles area putting my foot in. Since then, I’ve used a shoe horn to put them on every time I’ve skated with no issue. Well, today I was public skating with my wife and I wasn’t about to bring my 3’ shoe horn. I put my foot in and... rip. So now both of them are damaged. Now, these skates are now 5 years old and while I’m probably due for an update anyway, I want to make these last a bit longer if possible.

Of course, going forward I’m going to make sure I use that shoe horn no matter what and have already ordered a small one on amazon to stick in my backpack for public skating. 

Can anyone recommend an adhesive that would work here? It’s down to the foam itself so I’m not sure if any glue is going to work very well. With where that bit is, you could probably put a couple stitches through it to hold it but I don’t have my industrial sewing machine (yet) to be able to even consider doing it myself. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

So if anyone remembers this far back, when I first got my VH I ripped the Achilles area putting my foot in. Since then, I’ve used a shoe horn to put them on every time I’ve skated with no issue. Well, today I was public skating with my wife and I wasn’t about to bring my 3’ shoe horn. I put my foot in and... rip. So now both of them are damaged. Now, these skates are now 5 years old and while I’m probably due for an update anyway, I want to make these last a bit longer if possible.

Of course, going forward I’m going to make sure I use that shoe horn no matter what and have already ordered a small one on amazon to stick in my backpack for public skating. 

Can anyone recommend an adhesive that would work here? It’s down to the foam itself so I’m not sure if any glue is going to work very well. With where that bit is, you could probably put a couple stitches through it to hold it but I don’t have my industrial sewing machine (yet) to be able to even consider doing it myself. 

I know vh recommends loctite super glue but I'm sure any type of super glue or gel super glue would work. 

I personally havent had to use a shoe shorn. I have one in my bag but never had to use it with both skates I've owned. 

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Can you share a pic? If the tear is where I think it is you have a few options. 

Is thin, made with a high density foam and the back of it is fabric and not felt.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Twr34vzNJBnkirUh7

How's the protection level and stiffness of the new tongue?  Doesn't look like it would do much in terms of softening impacts, but looks like it would allow more forward flexion.

20 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

How's the protection level and stiffness of the new tongue?  Doesn't look like it would do much in terms of softening impacts, but looks like it would allow more forward flexion.

Protection level would be low and its very flexible. If you are someone concerned about foot protection I would say to go with the black or white felt tongue or the tongue option with a metatarsal guard. I personally like how much forward flexion it offers. 

Protection level would be low and its very flexible. If you are someone concerned about foot protection I would say to go with the black or white felt tongue or the tongue option with a metatarsal guard. I personally like how much forward flexion it offers. 

I disagree.  Had 2 high level guys had them since last Christmas and no issues with shot blocking.  And the best part was less wear... 

3 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Can you share a pic? If the tear is where I think it is you have a few options. 

Here's where I posted the original rip. I wonder if they'd be able to fix them still... 

9 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

I disagree.  Had 2 high level guys had them since last Christmas and no issues with shot blocking.  And the best part was less wear... 

Same here, but compared to the felt tongue or the T-Guard there is less protection IMO. 

Anybody here have to get a less sharp profile after going True's? Was talking to a kid (yet another True lover) and he said he had to go from 5/8 to 1'' after getting the skates because he felt "his energy transfer was so much better". Not a big kid either... I weigh 195lb and use a 1/2 but I tend to like to dig in a little bit more. 

15 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

Anybody here have to get a less sharp profile after going True's? Was talking to a kid (yet another True lover) and he said he had to go from 5/8 to 1'' after getting the skates because he felt "his energy transfer was so much better". Not a big kid either... I weigh 195lb and use a 1/2 but I tend to like to dig in a little bit more. 

Yes, usually players go with a more shallow hollow. I went from 3/4" to 1" 

1/2" -> 5/8", 5/8" -> 3/4" , 3/4" -> 1"

• Like 1