Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

On 8/21/2019 at 2:13 PM, Nicholas G said:

I had a chance to try my new TRUE skates with the updated SHIFT holder in multiple games and a few drop-in sessions. I can say there is a dramatic difference between the newest generation and the previous generation in terms of weight reduction, not just from the new holder and steel, but overall. I think the new carbon layering process has also made the overall fit and finish better as well.

One thing I noticed immediately was the new STEP steel for the SHIFT holder does not feel anything like the previous VH/TRUE holder and STEP combo. In fact, it almost feels like the steel has a dual radius profile, maybe a 9.5/10.5 profile or similar. It's the first time I have been able to just take the skates out of the box, bake them, sharpen them, and play a game with them without feeling like I was wildly out of control. I am honestly not even sure a profile is needed with the newer steel where I felt the older VH/TRUE holder and STEP combo a profile was absolutely required. 

Overall I am very impressed with the updated skates.

Confirmed today the new STEP steel for the Shift holder is a 9/10 forward pitch dual radius profile. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

first time using my custom inlines. They are super comfortable, pretty good performance so far, just a few notable issues.

1. QC on the skates is just aweful. there's a gap on the bottom where it wasn't properly glued between the overlay and the composite that i had to fix, and just globs of glue all over the skate in areas. Also some masking tape was left in the toe cap vents. things you could look over and fix in like 10 minutes, that shouldn't really be on the consumer even if they aren't difficult to fix, but its almost like they make the skates and just immediately toss them in a box without looking them over.

2. wheels that come with the skates  should be customizable in terms of hardness. I was only given options for indoor or outdoor wheels, and since im 205 the indoor wheels that came with the skate are too soft. For a truly custom skate, i think they should offer all 3 levels of the RV flex indoors (xsoft, soft, firm). In the end, i think the wheels are kind of gimmicky and will just purchase some konnixx wheels anyways, but itd be nice to be given something i can use out of the box (and yes, i know most off the shelf skates come with softer options, but being able to customize wheels would be a nice touch for something made one off).

All in all, im fairly happy with them after one skate, but we will see if they hold up to the abuse. If i continue to like them i may get the ice version later this year.

• Like 4

The True website gives the impression that the two options are "firm" and "soft" for the inline wheels. I assumed that'd be for high end Sport Court wheels. It's really for indoor and outdoor wheels? If so, they should explicitly state that. You'd also have to deep pockets to consider a custom skate for outdoor use.

1 hour ago, althoma1 said:

The True website gives the impression that the two options are "firm" and "soft" for the inline wheels. I assumed that'd be for high end Sport Court wheels. It's really for indoor and outdoor wheels? If so, they should explicitly state that. You'd also have to deep pockets to consider a custom skate for outdoor use.

True called the shop I was scanned at and asked them if I wanted indoor or outdoor wheels, so I went with indoor thinking I’d re sell them. Unfortunately I forgot it was a Hilo style chassis so I couldn’t just switch my Konixx over so I’ll be selling the wheels gently used 🙂 if it’s truely soft vs firm indoor wheels it wasn’t conveyed well  to the shop. Really it should be on the order form.

I got the new skates and holders. The fit and finish and QC is still hilariously bad. I have fibres chipping from the heel straight out of the box, either they didn't put a gloss coat on them or they missed spots.

While the skates are lighter, my FT2 still feel WAY lighter on my feet when wearing them side by side.

4 minutes ago, Hills said:

I got the new skates and holders. The fit and finish and QC is still hilariously bad. I have fibres chipping from the heel straight out of the box, either they didn't put a gloss coat on them or they missed spots.

While the skates are lighter, my FT2 still feel WAY lighter on my feet when wearing them side by side.

Are you comparing retail FT2 vs TRUE? My full custom FT2 are actually 100 grams heavier than my TRUE skates. 

Not sure why QC is still an issue... Love my skates but the repair job they did on my defective tongue tab was hilariously bad as they literally just did the same repair job I did but also  put a blob of epoxy to recreate the tab..took them three weeks to do that "repair" 

Edited by Sniper9

46 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Are you comparing retail FT2 vs TRUE? My full custom FT2 are actually 100 grams heavier than my TRUE skates. 

Yes, they feel the same in your hand but feel way heavier on my foot.

2 hours ago, Hills said:

Yes, they feel the same in your hand but feel way heavier on my foot.

U should weigh them so you actually know the difference.  To me, even the weight of thr first generation trues vs my as1s were negligible. This whole weight this is getting out of control. 

I hope I don't get a bad QC'ed job 😧 mine are due in a few weeks. Also gonna suck to drive the 80 minutes into NYC to get them only to look down at poor workmanship. I would hope the shop would not drag me in if that were the case.

I have FT2 as "backups" but I was hoping to just return them in the 90 day window once I got the True's. Might return them for 8.5's anyway as I feel the sizing changed every so slightly with FT2 and 9's (which I had in FT1) are a hair big.

22 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

I have FT2 as "backups" but I was hoping to just return them in the 90 day window once I got the True's. Might return them for 8.5's anyway as I feel the sizing changed every so slightly with FT2 and 9's (which I had in FT1) are a hair big.

FT2 has a slightly wider heel, so quite possible that it lets your foot sit further back in the boot enough to drop a size, (if you were right on the cusp in the FT1).

51 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

I hope I don't get a bad QC'ed job 😧 mine are due in a few weeks. Also gonna suck to drive the 80 minutes into NYC to get them only to look down at poor workmanship. I would hope the shop would not drag me in if that were the case.

My skates are perfect, so I guess it all depends. I did request a lot of special tweaks to them though so maybe they got a little more attention than others. Overall all the newly refreshed skates we have received have been flawless. 

6 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

My skates are perfect, so I guess it all depends. I did request a lot of special tweaks to them though so maybe they got a little more attention than others. Overall all the newly refreshed skates we have received have been flawless. 

What kind of special tweaks? 

This shop has done over 500 pair and they said problems are rare. Perhaps they have a better relationship, who knows. So far, the only negative I ever hear is from ppl here. I've met probably ten guys who use True and none have complained. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

This shop has done over 500 pair and they said problems are rare. Perhaps they have a better relationship, who knows. So far, the only negative I ever hear is from ppl here. I've met probably ten guys who use True and none have complained. 

Same. We are also doing scanning for some of the WHL teams this week as part of the Dealer Assist program. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Same. We are also doing scanning for some of the WHL teams this week as part of the Dealer Assist program. 

Are you going up to Everett this weekend to hit the US Division teams?

2 hours ago, z1ggy said:

could also be that some people arent reporting the issues to the shops. Mine were easy enough fixes, just removing the taping material from the right skate vent inners, and cleaning up some of the other stuff. Just something that couldve been caught pre consumer to give a bit of a better impression, but nothing out there. Perhaps i am harder on stuff like this having worked in a QC lab prior to moving into research.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, z1ggy said:

I'm at 970 and counting.  I rarely see these glue issues. My issues are forgotten embroidery and that's been maybe 5 or 6 times? 

7 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

I'm at 970 and counting.  I rarely see these glue issues. My issues are forgotten embroidery and that's been maybe 5 or 6 times? 

please note that i have the inline version. not sure how many of those you have done, but the holder on the ice version would cover up the glue issue i am seeing, as the copper rivet on the front tower would press down and combine toe cap to the boot. The tower on the inline boot is much more narrow and shorter, the copper rivets on the front tower do not reach the toe cap edge, hence why people probably aren't seeing this issue as much.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stewie said:

please note that i have the inline version. not sure how many of those you have done, but the holder on the ice version would cover up the glue issue i am seeing, as the copper rivet on the front tower would press down and combine toe cap to the boot. The tower on the inline boot is much more narrow and shorter, the copper rivets on the front tower do not reach the toe cap edge, hence why people probably aren't seeing this issue as much.

Not sure why they don't use a regular rivet to lock the toe cap against the bottom of the boot like they do with the one piece goalie skate. 

12 hours ago, Stewie said:

could also be that some people arent reporting the issues to the shops. Mine were easy enough fixes, just removing the taping material from the right skate vent inners, and cleaning up some of the other stuff. Just something that couldve been caught pre consumer to give a bit of a better impression, but nothing out there. Perhaps i am harder on stuff like this having worked in a QC lab prior to moving into research.

I see.. But what do you mean by reporting it to the shop? Didn't you get scanned at a shop and then go in to get them heat molded to your feet when they first came in? Do you mean you saw small issues well after the fact with use?