Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

12 minutes ago, jvincig01 said:

True... but what about going from $600  (Bauer 2x) to $1100? That’s quite a jump. Let’s not forget $200 is still a good amount of money going from 2x Pro to Custom. My problem with Custom is I was sort of hoping the skate fit well when it arrived. However, on my True’s I ended up adding padding on the toe and tweaking them anyway. Going with stock you know exactly what you’re buying and I would argue  that the consistency in build quality is exactly the same. 

The sore feet I have with breaking in skates is nothing like it was 20 years ago... not even close. I would always recommend buying something off the shelf that is comfortable. Save yourself the money and put it toward skating lessons. 

Most people looking to go custom are already looking at buying a $900 skate so the price difference is minimal. 

Again, even with a custom skate, you are going to have to adjust things. I don't understand why people cannot comprehend that even with 3D scanning and such that doesn't mean you will need to make adjustments for the skate to fit YOU the way YOU want it to. I also added foam to the top of the toe cap on my TRUE skates and also use Speed Plate foot beds. That's because of my own personal preferences. Not because what TRUE made didn't fit me properly. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Most people looking to go custom are already looking at buying a $900 skate so the price difference is minimal. 

Again, even with a custom skate, you are going to have to adjust things. I don't understand why people cannot comprehend that even with 3D scanning and such that doesn't mean you will need to make adjustments for the skate to fit YOU the way YOU want it to. I also added foam to the top of the toe cap on my TRUE skates and also use Speed Plate foot beds. That's because of my own personal preferences. Not because what TRUE made didn't fit me properly. 

I agree with you. However, a 20% increase is still a 20% increase. Custom isn't the perfect solution but people think it is. It requires minor tweaks just like any other skate. I would have kept my True's if I didn't have this bone spur on the inside of my ankle bone.  The ankle bone runs right by the eyelet which isn't soft and causes more bone growth. Right now its the size of a half marble. My cells think it's a fracture so it kept growing.

Here were the main reasons why I ditched my True's after 12 months. Again, this is specific to me. They are great skates...

1. Inside padding is too firm for my ankle injury. Adding any extra padding or a gel pad actually creates more pressure and hurts worse. 

2. Bauer has an asymmetrical design so my inside ankle bone sits on what feels like a memory foam pillow. I like that. 

3. The rivets just keep coming lose in the Trues.... like all the dang time. I'm only 205 lbs

4. I haven't read any complaints on Bauer rivets but I will continue to remove my insoles after playing.

5. I love the True tongue with the tendon guard... I went to the 2x Pro because the tongue was similar. Both are nice

@Nicholas G why do you go with SpeedPlates? The True footbeds are custom to your foot. Just curious.

2 hours ago, jvincig01 said:

I agree with you. However, a 20% increase is still a 20% increase. Custom isn't the perfect solution but people think it is. It requires minor tweaks just like any other skate. I would have kept my True's if I didn't have this bone spur on the inside of my ankle bone.  The ankle bone runs right by the eyelet which isn't soft and causes more bone growth. Right now its the size of a half marble. My cells think it's a fracture so it kept growing.

Here were the main reasons why I ditched my True's after 12 months. Again, this is specific to me. They are great skates...

1. Inside padding is too firm for my ankle injury. Adding any extra padding or a gel pad actually creates more pressure and hurts worse. 

2. Bauer has an asymmetrical design so my inside ankle bone sits on what feels like a memory foam pillow. I like that. 

3. The rivets just keep coming lose in the Trues.... like all the dang time. I'm only 205 lbs

4. I haven't read any complaints on Bauer rivets but I will continue to remove my insoles after playing.

5. I love the True tongue with the tendon guard... I went to the 2x Pro because the tongue was similar. Both are nice

@Nicholas G why do you go with SpeedPlates? The True footbeds are custom to your foot. Just curious.

the TRUE foot beds themselves are not custom to a personal foot. The arch of the boot matches the players foot, but even then sometimes you need to use a heat gun to add more arch or to flatten in a bit depending on the customers needs. I find the Speed Plate gives me a more responsive and direct contact to the steel allowing me to feel my edges better. 

3 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

the TRUE foot beds themselves are not custom to a personal foot. The arch of the boot matches the players foot, but even then sometimes you need to use a heat gun to add more arch or to flatten in a bit depending on the customers needs. I find the Speed Plate gives me a more responsive and direct contact to the steel allowing me to feel my edges better. 

Arches in ppls feet also change a bit here and there depending how often someone is on the ice, whether they wear orthotics, summer time where it's mainly flip flops etc. That's why I like speed plates as well. I like how the speedplates are completely custom and I really like the hard material it's made of. I can't stand the sponginess of conventional footbeds and the true footbeds which my feet feels like it's slipping on. 

I agree with you that even custom skates require additional customization. Like yourself, I also made my own version of powerfoots and reduced the height of the toecap inside dramatically where there is almost no space for my toes to wiggle. 

Also, some people like their toes to brush up on the end of the toe cap, some like not to feel it at all, and some like it crammed. Maybe true should have these questions answered during the fitting so they can adjust the skates to those preferences, but realistically, those are easy mods to do yourself with some toe plugs. 

Even the red insole. Some use it some don't. I personally don't use it because it gives the skates a bit too much of a padded feeling on the bottom of my feet. 

At the end of the day, for those who use retail Bauer skates but go custom bauer ( or even CCM to CCM custom) will prob be happy with the fit out of box bc they know exactly what they are getting with the skate. There won't be an adjustment period on how the skate performs. Fit will only be better since it's custom version of what they're used to. 

Most ppl going to trues for the first time will need to adjust no matter what bc it's a completely different skate fit and feel wise. I do realize there are fit issues that's not related to the adjustment period. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Well. This happened today. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X8BrFB7sEhXWCcCR8

Steel is fine. Holder seems fine. Going to have to take it apart to see what specifically happened....

Yikes. Quick question, i know True said they cut weight down by 15%. the steel height looks significantly shorter than the last model. Could that be where they cut the 15%?

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Can't see by taking the steel out? Mechanism is ok? That's annoying. 

So it seems there is a small screw that holder the plastic trigger mechanism to the holder. There is no spring like the LS Edge holder so the trigger is plastic tension. Anyway, that little screw, which doesn't really do anything from what I can tell, came out. Used some super glue and screwed it back in and it's good as new. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jvincig01 said:

Yikes. Quick question, i know True said they cut weight down by 15%. the steel height looks significantly shorter than the last model. Could that be where they cut the 15%?

Not the whole 15% is saved from the steel. It's a combination of changes and advancements. 

• Like 1

Anyone else have major eyelet and tendon guard rivet issues? Holder rivets are next by the looks of it. I’m exclusively a linesman and I’ve had mine for 10 months (1000 games give or take). I remove footbeds and fan dry after every use but these skates retain water so much it seems impossible to fix these issues.

Also, has anyone here had experience with full custom skates from CCM/Bauer? How was the adjustment back to traditional skates?

Edited by jared9356

20 minutes ago, jared9356 said:

Anyone else have major eyelet and tendon guard rivet issues? Holder rivets are next by the looks of it. I’m exclusively a linesman and I’ve had mine for 10 months (1000 games give or take). I remove footbeds and fan dry after every use but these skates retain water so much it seems impossible to fix these issues.

Also, has anyone here had experience with full custom skates from CCM/Bauer? How was the adjustment back to traditional skates?

I tried to go from TRUE to CCM customs and it wasn't terrible but it definitely took some time to adjust. Most significantly was the fact other skate boots having a neutral pitch or very minimal forward pitch from the factory and TRUE has a very noticeable forward pitch built into the boot and eyelet positions.

As such, I eventually went back to TRUE after a while. While I felt faster with my FT2 customs on the top end, 6+ strides, but had dramatically less control and agility in the first 6 strides. Cannot comment on custom Bauers, I have not got them yet. I did try the Vapor 2X Pro retail skates and absolutely dislike them as they felt sloppy fitting, which is expected coming from custom skates to a retail model. Many others have said they are very nice though. 

As for rivets and such, I use a little drop of this on my rivets and such and they never rust or get loose. Plus it easily scrapes off if you need to service the skate/holder.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-Black-Liquid-Electrical-Tape-4-oz-LTB-400/100119178

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

I tried to go from TRUE to CCM customs and it wasn't terrible but it definitely took some time to adjust. Most significantly was the fact other skate boots having a neutral pitch or very minimal forward pitch from the factory and TRUE has a very noticeable forward pitch built into the boot and eyelet positions.

As such, I eventually went back to TRUE after a while. While I felt faster with my FT2 customs on the top end, 6+ strides, but had dramatically less control and agility in the first 6 strides. Cannot comment on custom Bauers, I have not got them yet. I did try the Vapor 2X Pro retail skates and absolutely dislike them as they felt sloppy fitting, which is expected coming from custom skates to a retail model. Many others have said they are very nice though. 

As for rivets and such, I use a little drop of this on my rivets and such and they never rust or get loose. Plus it easily scrapes off if you need to service the skate/holder.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-Black-Liquid-Electrical-Tape-4-oz-LTB-400/100119178

Great idea! i am going to try that with my true's!

1 hour ago, jared9356 said:

The tendon guard is a very easy fix and u can actually convert it to a t nut and screw if you want. I personally have never had issues with the t guard. I always make sure I hold the edge of the boot when I put my skates on and take them off. 

As for rivets, so far I've had no issues with my current pair as the rivet holes were drilled specifically for my sb holders. I had issues with my previous pair that I swapped the true holders for tuuks.  Mind you I only play once a week. 

I think being on the ice as much as you, it's kind of inevitable that you'll rust your rivets quicker regardless of what skate you use, but true is known to have a harder time keeping rivets snug. 

I went to a stick and puck session and decided to finally drop the top eyelet and I have to say that I really like it. Didn't take too much adjusting but really like the mobility and increased flexion not only on my strides but on turns.  Didn't feel as awkward as I thought and after about 30 mins I felt pretty comfortable. Will try it in a game setting next but looks like I'm probably going permanently convert.

Even though the Trues already provide a natural forward lean when laced to the top, I like my skates fairly snug at the top, so I'm still able to tie it snug and not have the feeling of my forward flexion being a bit inhibited. I'm also not a fan of lacing up to the top and having the top a bit looser because it eventually affects the overall lace tension, even with waxed laces. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

I went to a stick and puck session and decided to finally drop the top eyelet and I have to say that I really like it. Didn't take too much adjusting but really like the mobility and increased flexion not only on my strides but on turns.  Didn't feel as awkward as I thought and after about 30 mins I felt pretty comfortable. Will try it in a game setting next but looks like I'm probably going permanently convert.

Even though the Trues already provide a natural forward lean when laced to the top, I like my skates fairly snug at the top, so I'm still able to tie it snug and not have the feeling of my forward flexion being a bit inhibited. I'm also not a fan of lacing up to the top and having the top a bit looser because it eventually affects the overall lace tension, even with waxed laces. 

You may want to try skipping the one from the top and still lacing the top eyelet. Some guys I skate with have done this with their TRUE skates and feel it still gives good support but allows much more flexion. I tried it and it felt the same to me as usual but I lace my skates fairly loose at the top. 

I’ve started having pain over the last month or two. Just below where the big toe meets the foot. Almost like there’s something digging into the top of my foot there. I can’t figure out what it is. 

30 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I’ve started having pain over the last month or two. Just below where the big toe meets the foot. Almost like there’s something digging into the top of my foot there. I can’t figure out what it is. 

I would try removing and repositioning the tongue slightly. 

@Nicholas G I’ll give the liquid tape a try. Do you just cover the entire surface of the Euler?

Has anyone had experience with Trues cloth liner? A big issue of mine is that I sweat a lot more than the average person. I’m guessing that liner would be better for moisture mgmt but less durable.

3 hours ago, jared9356 said:

@Nicholas G I’ll give the liquid tape a try. Do you just cover the entire surface of the Euler?

Has anyone had experience with Trues cloth liner? A big issue of mine is that I sweat a lot more than the average person. I’m guessing that liner would be better for moisture mgmt but less durable.

I haven't seen many with the wick except mc88. I wanted to get that option as well since my feet sweat quite a bit and once I'm a period into a game I can feel my feet slide a bit inside the skate which is annoying. I didn't see enough posts regarding the wick liner to be confident in choosing that option. 

Anyone here still wear traditional 100% cotton socks? I figure cotton socks would be better for sweaty feet since Dri fit ones just tend to pull all the sweat away and causes the clarino to get a lot wetter than with cotton socks, which absorb. 

4 hours ago, jared9356 said:

That's the opposite. The grey clarino liner has the best moisture mangement. The fabric liner is a designed for grip, but it soaks up more moisture and drys slower too. 

Yes, I put a very thin layer over the entire surface of the flared rivet. 

Edited by Nicholas G
  • Thanks 1

Overall, how have peoples' skates held up? I only ask because of the picture below. Happened during my shinny skate this morning. I got hit with a shot that I was trying to avoid but didn't notice it till I was taking my skates off in the locker room. I knew that one day that I'd want a pair of Trues. I'm now looking at the reality of getting new skates after 3-4 years (much sooner than I thought I would be). The good thing is that I have a pair of Bauer Nexus skates that I use for officiating that I could tolerate when playing/coaching. 

IMG_2863.JPG

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610

On 9/10/2019 at 10:47 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

That's the opposite. The grey clarino liner has the best moisture mangement. The fabric liner is a designed for grip, but it soaks up more moisture and drys slower too. 

Yes, I put a very thin layer over the entire surface of the flared rivet. 

I rather have the wick liner soak up moisture but provide better grip than the clarino which repels water but causing the sweat to be trapped between the liner and my socks causing slippage.