Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Anyone swap their old to guess for the new ones? Just wondering if you had to re hear mould the skates along with the new tongue. I really don't want to do this as the skates are pretty dialed in. I noticed the new tongues are almost if not just as thick as the felt ones so it may not be necessary, and just get away with heating the tongues alone. 

20 hours ago, dasuchin said:

You're probably right. But $1000 is hard to swallow when I don't know if it'll fix my problem or not.

Have you been professionally fit for your skates? Have you been skating for a long time? I'm not a doctor but I can't imagine having both of those things and still having foot pain. If I did, then I would head to a foot doctor for a look at things because that shouldn't be happening.

10 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Anyone swap their old to guess for the new ones? Just wondering if you had to re hear mould the skates along with the new tongue. I really don't want to do this as the skates are pretty dialed in. I noticed the new tongues are almost if not just as thick as the felt ones so it may not be necessary, and just get away with heating the tongues alone. 

The tongue is very pliable. No need to remold. 

4 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

The tongue is very pliable. No need to remold. 

Thanks. I was just curious as to whether it changed the volume of the skate if the tongues were thinner, which would potentially require a remould 

• Like 1

For me the True experience was not great so far. My pair was done with an obvious error that was probably on the manufacturing side, or maybe the scan went wrong but then its probably very obvious. Because its punched in right where it has to be punched out. And there is nothing I can do about it. Inside the skate its punched in even more seriously that it almost feels like there is a nail inside the boot. I barely walk after a skate session, so now I skate not more than once a week just to stay in the team.

I spent few weeks trying to break in, then 20 days trying to repair it at different local shops. I used all the techniques that I found on the internet, but its just made this way and goes back every time.

And now I am being completely ignored by True for more than 2 weeks. Its close to 2 months with very little hockey time to me.

I guess its not really a custom experience if in case something goes wrong they don't do anything. I'm basically being ignored, all I got was once or twice messages that they will look into my problem and get back to me.

I dont know if I should buy new skates and just forget about it, or if they will make a new right skate and I pay for it, or they make it for free, and when it will happen.

My boss will probably send them a Christmas card, thanks to them I really spend more time working instead of ... you know ... enjoying staff. 

6bbf9168-9d3c-4895-81cb-038f1e6d30b0.jpg

eee81d05-45cd-4f85-a058-6bc99a90b2ac.jpg

4aaaa7e1-561b-4b5c-98dc-78617fb39a2e.jpge0fe4856-4966-40a4-802d-300e01377595.jpg

Edited by yk15

1 hour ago, yk15 said:

For me the True experience was not great so far. My pair was done with an obvious error that was probably on the manufacturing side, or maybe the scan went wrong but then its probably very obvious. Because its punched in right where it has to be punched out. And there is nothing I can do about it. Inside the skate its punched in even more seriously that it almost feels like there is a nail inside the boot. I barely walk after a skate session, so now I skate not more than once a week just to stay in the team.

I spent few weeks trying to break in, then 20 days trying to repair it at different local shops. I used all the techniques that I found on the internet, but its just made this way and goes back every time.

And now I am being completely ignored by True for more than 2 weeks. Its close to 2 months with very little hockey time to me.

I guess its not really a custom experience if in case something goes wrong they don't do anything. I'm basically being ignored, all I got was once or twice messages that they will look into my problem and get back to me.

I dont know if I should buy new skates and just forget about it, or if they will make a new right skate and I pay for it, or they make it for free, and when it will happen.

My boss will probably send them a Christmas card, thanks to them I really spend more time working instead of ... you know ... enjoying staff. 

4aaaa7e1-561b-4b5c-98dc-78617fb39a2e.jpge0fe4856-4966-40a4-802d-300e01377595.jpg

What did the retailer say? You mentioned True is “ignoring” you, but no mention of the proper channels for making a complaint.

34 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

What did the retailer say? You mentioned True is “ignoring” you, but no mention of the proper channels for making a complaint.

I don't know what is proper, they did not tell me.

Well, in my case the retailer is in another country and we have very strong language barrier to talk about anything sophisticated, I informed True about it when was buying initially.

And I dont want to sound too negative - the skates are great fit in everything else. But am really puzzled with what to do, its the middle of a season.

Edited by yk15

5 hours ago, yk15 said:

Well, in my case the retailer is in another country and we have very strong language barrier to talk about anything sophisticated, I informed True about it when was buying initially.

And I dont want to sound too negative - the skates are great fit in everything else. But am really puzzled with what to do, its the middle of a season.

Your pro shop/retailer should be the one contacting True, not you. When I got my scan done and subsequent order, I spent all of 0.0 seconds communicating with True. Granted, I've had no  problems, but if I did, I would contact my pro shop to resolve it. I'm surprised you say the area keeps "caving back in" so to speak. I know you said you've tried everything, but that area of the boot is pretty moldable... After you spot heated it, did you toss them into the fridge/freezer to try to quickly lock the shape in? 

When I've done custom punching on my old skates, I spot heated then held it in a special punching tool I made for 2 days. Just making a guess here, but maybe you aren't "holding" the new shape that you need long enough?? 

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

Your pro shop/retailer should be the one contacting True, not you. When I got my scan done and subsequent order, I spent all of 0.0 seconds communicating with True. Granted, I've had no  problems, but if I did, I would contact my pro shop to resolve it. I'm surprised you say the area keeps "caving back in" so to speak. I know you said you've tried everything, but that area of the boot is pretty moldable... After you spot heated it, did you toss them into the fridge/freezer to try to quickly lock the shape in? 

When I've done custom punching on my old skates, I spot heated then held it in a special punching tool I made for 2 days. Just making a guess here, but maybe you aren't "holding" the new shape that you need long enough?? 

This is correct. The customer should not have to be doing all of the leg work. The retailer should be talking to TRUE, specifically their rep and the TRUE skate support group, to get this resolved.

7 hours ago, yk15 said:

Who at TRUE have you been talking to? 

9 hours ago, yk15 said:

If u use a heat gun to that area there is no way that area will "cave" back in. You said it's punched in like it's supposed to be but that doesn't make sense. If it's supposed to be like that it shouldn't be causing you any issues. Is that area or your foot susceptible to being more sensitive? Have you tried the tissue technique with that area along with a heat gun? 

Sorry, but I also found your post a bit confusing regarding especially with the Christmas card ending... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, Sniper9 said:

If u use a heat gun to that area there is no way that area will "cave" back in. You said it's punched in like it's supposed to be but that doesn't make sense. If it's supposed to be like that it shouldn't be causing you any issues. Is that area or your foot susceptible to being more sensitive? Have you tried the tissue technique with that area along with a heat gun? 

Sorry, but I also found your post a bit confusing regarding especially with the Christmas card ending... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Its made this way, like the amount of gell or carbon or whatever is different, the thickness is different in few places in that area. I know it should not happen but it does, it goes back. It can be punched out but it still does not become "even" if you get what I mean.

I left it overnight with the golf ball, I went to pro shop, I rebaked it. It goes freaking back.

I do not want to make it up, I really like everything else about the skates, but this experience is just upsetting at this point. And I do not have a problem in that area. Its painfull not in one spot, but throughout the passage this dent makes.

9 minutes ago, yk15 said:

Its made this way, like the amount of gell or carbon or whatever is different, the thickness is different in few places in that area. I know it should not happen but it does, it goes back. It can be punched out but it still does not become "even" if you get what I mean.

I left it overnight with the golf ball, I went to pro shop, I rebaked it. It goes freaking back.

I do not want to make it up, I really like everything else about the skates, but this experience is just upsetting at this point. And I do not have a problem in that area. Its painfull not in one spot, but throughout the passage this dent makes.

You need to heat gun the area.  It's a waste to rebake the whole skate just for that one area.  I've never had issues where I couldn't specifically alter a certain area of the skate with a heat gun and keep it that way. And ur description of it feeling like "nails" doesn't make sense at all.  I've owned two pairs of Trues. 

Also worst case they will probably remake the skate for u no charge but you need to show you've gone to your pro shop and they've tried to do everything to remedy. 

Edited by Sniper9

9 minutes ago, yk15 said:

Just putting a golf ball in the skate and taping it there or whatever isn't going to do anything most likely... You need a "negative" space for that golf ball, or whatever object it is, to push material into.

For example, when I mentioned above I messed with my Mako's for a while, punching out little problem spots. I have a bone in my foot that sticks out, it was killing me because the boot wasn't moving much from baking. So I made a custom tool which was basically C clamps, with a spoon glued to one clamp, and like a 2'' long piece of round wood (basically a stick I had found and cut from outside) glued to the other clamp half. If I had just used the wooden piece and heated my boot and stuck the clamp on the boot, it would have done pretty much nothing. I needed the spoon on the other end to provide space for the boot to move into whilst the stick was pressing outward. 

It sounds like you are possibly not doing the correct way of spot heat molding a skate. 

4 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

Just putting a golf ball in the skate and taping it there or whatever isn't going to do anything most likely... You need a "negative" space for that golf ball, or whatever object it is, to push material into.

For example, when I mentioned above I messed with my Mako's for a while, punching out little problem spots. I have a bone in my foot that sticks out, it was killing me because the boot wasn't moving much from baking. So I made a custom tool which was basically C clamps, with a spoon glued to one clamp, and like a 2'' long piece of round wood (basically a stick I had found and cut from outside) glued to the other clamp half. If I had just used the wooden piece and heated my boot and stuck the clamp on the boot, it would have done pretty much nothing. I needed the spoon on the other end to provide space for the boot to move into whilst the stick was pressing outward. 

It sounds like you are possibly not doing the correct way of spot heat molding a skate. 

I went to the local shop, they did what they do to other skates. Twice. I skated for at least 3 times in between.

Then at home, I did this:

Then this:

Then this:

At least three times skating in between.

The home made hockey punch video should work... that is basically exactly what I did. So you're saying you are correctly punching out the boot, but then it keeps caving back in again? Or it's not able to be punched out enough?

I always find these stories interesting. My pro has done over 500 pairs and said he's barely had any issues. I feel like the common link here is maybe not True doing bad jobs but bad retailers. I can definitely see that spot you're referring to and I also don't get how it feels like nails. It should be like a hard/firm pressure, not something pointy and sharp. 

7 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

The home made hockey punch video should work... that is basically exactly what I did. So you're saying you are correctly punching out the boot, but then it keeps caving back in again? Or it's not able to be punched out enough?

I always find these stories interesting. My pro has done over 500 pairs and said he's barely had any issues. I feel like the common link here is maybe not True doing bad jobs but bad retailers. I can definitely see that spot you're referring to and I also don't get how it feels like nails. It should be like a hard/firm pressure, not something pointy and sharp. 

It could be the area where it stops being the hard carbon like the heel and meets the thermoformable plastic. But still should be able to fix the issue if done right. 

Its like the thikness is divided into three parts, and it would always want to go back after some use. This red line in the middle is the one causing the "nail" like feeling. Its either not as thick as the rest of the skate, or always wants to go back. I cant figure it out, because even my local shop that does repairs for many years here has no clue whats going on. 

As for the feeling, maybe lets just say its pain, it pushes right against my ankle. Maybe I am not good in describing the exact type of pain. 

This red line seems to be more punched in than the rest of the area, so my ankle would always contact with it when Im turning and rubbing as the ankle moves back and forward during skating.

f37f2db2-d0c3-4135-bb48-f445aba99102.jpg

Edited by yk15

54 minutes ago, yk15 said:

Its like the thikness is divided into three parts, and it would always want to go back after some use. This red line in the middle is the one causing the "nail" like feeling. Its either not as thick as the rest of the skate, or always wants to go back. I cant figure it out, because even my local shop that does repairs for many years here has no clue whats going on. 

As for the feeling, maybe lets just say its pain, it pushes right against my ankle. Maybe I am not good in describing the exact type of pain. 

This red line seems to be more punched in than the rest of the area, so my ankle would always contact with it when Im turning and rubbing as the ankle moves back and forward during skating.

Did you opt for extra shot protection?

So the problem is solved. I got to talk with True and such issues are covered by the warranty. They are replacing skates at no cost in these cases.

7 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Did you opt for extra shot protection?

No, as it turned out, its a one piece carbon skate, which if is broken for some reason, does create such a crease. This rare issue is covered by the warranty.

Edited by yk15

3 minutes ago, yk15 said:

No, as it turned out, its a one piece carbon skate, which if is broken for some reason does create such a crease. This rare issue is covered by the warranty.

It just looks like the chunks that come together created a sort of rift where the pressure is. After looking at the red-lined picture, a depression along that border is apparent in the plain pictures. It looks like one or more of the underlying pieces has a flaw or something, like a curled edge maybe, that causes that indentation. 

1 hour ago, yk15 said:

So the problem is solved. I got to talk with True and such issues are covered by the warranty. They are replacing skates at no cost in these cases.

Glad to hear. 

Anyone have the tguard tongue and the new thin tongue? How do they feel compared to each other? I ordered my pair with the tguard tongue but I'm thinking about ordering the thin tongue to have as well when I go pick them up.