Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

11 hours ago, CigarScott said:

No, you want to get the shrink wrap stuff on a handle that you can find at any home Depot or moving supply joint.

11 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Is Saran Wrap strong enough? I would have thought most are using something above kitchen grade stretch wrap.

I should have just said strech wrap. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I use wax laces with no problem on my Trues.

If you have minor heel slippage, contact True for some of the toe cap inserts that they sometimes use.  Also, using Powerfeet can help.  You may want to mess around with insole combo too - using red and blue, etc.

I actually just un-did the togue and re-inserted it a little further into the skate. There's almost no negative space and putting Powerfeet in there was impossible (I tried, waste of $20).

Like others say, your heel will almost definitely feel like it slips while you are walking upright or just sitting there. When you are skating and in a leaned over/proper hockey stance, this goes away. If it doesn't... then you maybe have a small issue and should consider rebake and shrink wrapping tighter.

27 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

I actually just un-did the togue and re-inserted it a little further into the skate. There's almost no negative space and putting Powerfeet in there was impossible (I tried, waste of $20).

Like others say, your heel will almost definitely feel like it slips while you are walking upright or just sitting there. When you are skating and in a leaned over/proper hockey stance, this goes away. If it doesn't... then you maybe have a small issue and should consider rebake and shrink wrapping tighter.

I think depending on your foot shape and skate size some people can use powerfoot and others cannot. I use them in my skates as I have very low profile toes. Even with the tongue pushed in I still have wiggle room and I like my toes to be locked in. 

33 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I think depending on your foot shape and skate size some people can use powerfoot and others cannot. I use them in my skates as I have very low profile toes. Even with the tongue pushed in I still have wiggle room and I like my toes to be locked in. 

I could fit them in my FT2's but not my True's. I just moved the tongue forward maybe... 1/2 more, and boom, the fit felt much better. I may actually try pushing it in even a little more just to see how that feels. I didn't think I had particularly chunky toes.... now you've made me feel self conscious 😢 lol

I didn't like the feel of pushing the tongue forward into the toe cap more, thus why I use Powerfeet.  The fit was good before Powerfeet, but I like to feel compression on top of my toes...  prevents me from curling my toes in my skate (which used to be a bad habit)

Second skate in the Trues today and they feel even better. This time it was a skills and drills class instead of just stick and puck, so I really got to get a feel for them. I had very little arch pain in one skate in the beginning when we were working on edges but it went away as soon as we moved onto other drills. I might try taking out the red insole just in that one skate to see if it makes a difference, but it was still nowhere near as bad as my retail skates have been. Definitely something I can deal with. I also feel like I can skate faster with them, like I'm getting more power out of my stride since there's no negative space in the boot.

33 minutes ago, dasuchin said:

Second skate in the Trues today and they feel even better. This time it was a skills and drills class instead of just stick and puck, so I really got to get a feel for them. I had very little arch pain in one skate in the beginning when we were working on edges but it went away as soon as we moved onto other drills. I might try taking out the red insole just in that one skate to see if it makes a difference, but it was still nowhere near as bad as my retail skates have been. Definitely something I can deal with. I also feel like I can skate faster with them, like I'm getting more power out of my stride since there's no negative space in the boot.

You don't need to necessarily take out the red insole.  You can cut out the part where you are having arch pain.  There's a video of SVH doing this.

7 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

You don't need to necessarily take out the red insole.  You can cut out the part where you are having arch pain.  There's a video of SVH doing this.

Yeah I've seen that. Just figured I'd give it a shot before I cut up the insole.

Is there a way to order the thinner tongue? I went with the t-guard but I kind of want to try the thinner tongue. The plastic part on the t-guard tongue rubs up against the eyelet cuff and I'm kind of worried about it wearing it down, it also gets caught on the cuff when I start lacing them up.

41 minutes ago, dasuchin said:

Yeah I've seen that. Just figured I'd give it a shot before I cut up the insole.

Is there a way to order the thinner tongue? I went with the t-guard but I kind of want to try the thinner tongue. The plastic part on the t-guard tongue rubs up against the eyelet cuff and I'm kind of worried about it wearing it down, it also gets caught on the cuff when I start lacing them up.

You can get just the regular non t guard which I like. It's comfy and a decent tongue. But yes the low profile one is an option as well but it's not as low profile as I expected when I saw it in store. 

2 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

You can get just the regular non t guard which I like. It's comfy and a decent tongue. But yes the low profile one is an option as well but it's not as low profile as I expected when I saw it in store. 

What I meant is, now that I have the skate, is there a way to order additional tongues?

1 hour ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

If you have arch pain, I would recommend doing the cut out method on the red insole. I actually use two red insoles and the blue one. I cut out the arch on the bottom red insole and use an intact red insole and blue on top. I needed the extra cushion of a second red insole as I found the footbed too hard and uncomfortable without the second red insole. You can email their customer service and request additional insoles of both types, if desired.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dasuchin said:

What I meant is, now that I have the skate, is there a way to order additional tongues?

Yes.  You can contact True directly (via phone or e-mail) and request to purchase different tongues.  I think they're around $80 USD for a pair?

Edited by shoot_the_goalie
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, dasuchin said:

Some shops, like ours, have tongues in stock. What model are you looking for? 

49 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Some shops, like ours, have tongues in stock. What model are you looking for? 

I'm interested in checking out the new thin tongue. I can't find anywhere that shows details about the different tongues available though.

Got the re-wrap today at Pure hockey. When I first walked in some guy got all mouthy with me and said they "don't do that" here and it's not needed. Ended up convincing some kid to do it after I showed him the vids linked above. Skating tomorrow AM so hopefully it helped tighten the skate back up a little bit. 

I think I read earlier these can be naked up to 6 times? That was bake #3 for me, just want to know how many more I could do in case it needs a little more.

1 minute ago, z1ggy said:

Got the re-wrap today at Pure hockey. When I first walked in some guy got all mouthy with me and said they "don't do that" here and it's not needed. Ended up convincing some kid to do it after I showed him the vids linked above. Skating tomorrow AM so hopefully it helped tighten the skate back up a little bit. 

I think I read earlier these can be naked up to 6 times? That was bake #3 for me, just want to know how many more I could do in case it needs a little more.

That's where I ordered mine from, the Pure Hockey in Dallas. When I asked if they did it they said their oven got hot enough to where they didn't need to do it. The person there didn't seem the most knowledgeable about Trues compared to the guy I originally ordered them through.

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

When I directly emailed true about baking they said the skates can be baked up to something like 9-10 times.  Forgot the exact number but it was definitely way up there towards 10.  I've already baked my current ones 3 times. 

1 hour ago, dasuchin said:

I'm interested in checking out the new thin tongue. I can't find anywhere that shows details about the different tongues available though.

I can tell you about them and share pics. Not sure what specifics you're looking for? They dont do a good job going into detail about the specific at the retail level. Thats why we carry all of the different options in-store, so people can see and touch them in person. The new tongue is lighter than the others, has more forward flex, doesn't absorb water and doesn't break down like felt. I am kind of shocked its taken this long for manufacturers to start using options other than felt as standard as I have never been a big fan of felt tongues. 

2 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I can tell you about them and share pics. Not sure what specifics you're looking for? They dont do a good job going into detail about the specific at the retail level. Thats why we carry all of the different options in-store, so people can see and touch them in person. The new tongue is lighter than the others, has more forward flex, doesn't absorb water and doesn't break down like felt. I am kind of shocked its taken this long for manufacturers to start using options other than felt as standard as I have never been a big fan of felt tongues. 

I have the thin tongue in mine and I'm extreeeeemly happy with it. Would never go back to the old felt ones and would also never want one of those big giant thick/floppy ones unless I had volume issues... which... with True you should not. 

And thx for info on # of bakes. The kid told me not to ever bake again as this was time #3 and I was like ehhhhhhhhhhhhh ok then lol. 

5 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

It's interesting that they call it the "thin" tongue yet to me they are actually quite thick. Maybe not as thick as the felt bc of the contour channel down the middle, but they aren't by any means "thin" like the CCM thin option on their total customs. 

14 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Yeah it'd be great to see pictures. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for either, to be honest. I just feel like the way the t-guard tongue sits will wear down on the eyelet cuff, the plastic rubs against the side of the cuff and when I push it back when lacing it up, it gets caught on the edge of the cuff. So I'm just worried about it wearing that down. I also don't really think I'd have an issue with lace bite in these so I don't see the need for the t-guard.

How does it compare in comfort to the normal felt and the t-guard tongue?

The re-wrap was a success. I felt completely locked in during my morning skate and it's probably the best I've felt on the ice in a long time.. maybe ever. Guys were saying how they've ordered a pair and wouldn't stop asking me how they fit, etc etc. I think a lot more people have issues fitting into retail than we think and now that the price between a True and top of the line skate is basically the same... I see no reason to not get a completely custom fit right to your foot. 

• Like 1

First actual game in the skates last night and they were fantastic. I took the red insole out on the left skate because I felt like I had too much arch support in that one, but left them in on the right skate. Absolutely zero pain throughout the whole game. That's the first time I've skated through a game and never had any foot pain.

• Like 3