Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Good point, not sure about the durability and such. You are likely correct about the inability to service them. Also, I doubt they will make aftermarket steel an option anytime soon, if ever, so those players who prefer to use Flare or something other than STEP, are left behind. 

I wish everyone switched to a symmetrical design. It just seems silly to have left and right holders. 

Are u able to post a pic of how the symmetrical holder looks. I can't picture it in my head how it can mount on both sides while maintaining a straight blade when the shape of the boot is different for left and right... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, boo10 said:

I still think I prefer the CCM design.  The XS uses a positive mechanical lock.  The True holder is still using a spring, which makes it vulnerable to weakening over time.  It also doesn't look serviceable, so if it breaks you're looking at a new holder.  It's clearly an improvement over the Edge design, but not much in my opinion.

It's serviceable but the holder would need to be removed like the tuuk. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

How is this holder the giant step forward that folks were talking about?  It looks like just another holder with a quick release?  Is the pitch adjustable, is it way lighter, or ??

Mark

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

How is this holder the giant step forward that folks were talking about?  It looks like just another holder with a quick release?  Is the pitch adjustable, is it way lighter, or ??

Mark

It’s made by True so it’s the greatest thing in the history of mankind and will instantly put Bauer, CCM, and Warrior into bankruptcy.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

It’s made by True so it’s the greatest thing in the history of mankind and will instantly put Bauer, CCM, and Warrior into bankruptcy.

Wow hows that bitter pill tasting? 

Hahahahahaha 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

How is this holder the giant step forward that folks were talking about?  It looks like just another holder with a quick release?  Is the pitch adjustable, is it way lighter, or ??

Mark

 

20190725_160126.jpg

 

20190725_160144.jpg

20190725_160300.jpg

Edited by oldtrainerguy28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Wow hows that bitter pill tasting? 

Hahahahahaha 😜

I’ll take the pill when you show me one guy using these on a Bauer skate at the NHL level. Until then they stay in the container. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

I’ll take the pill when you show me one guy using these on a Bauer skate at the NHL level. Until then they stay in the container. 

Ummmmm I guess they don't use sarcasm much in Boston......?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless I'm mistaken, the rivet hole pattern on the old Step holder matched the Tuuk model, right? Now if you want to swap out the True holders for Tuuk, you'll have to drill new additional holes in the boot. Maybe I'm out of the loop but what's the current policy on ordering True skates with/without holders, or drilled for holders other than True.

And it just looks a bit "cheap" for the lack of a better word to not have dedicated left and right holders. It feels like a "cutting corners" measure. WTF is going on with my favorite skate brand.

Edited by Larry54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Larry54 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the rivet hole pattern on the old Step holder matched the Tuuk model, right? Now if you want to swap out the True holders for Tuuk, you'll have to drill new additional holes in the boot. Maybe I'm out of the loop but what's the current policy on ordering True skates with/without holders, or drilled for holders other than True.

And it just looks a bit "cheap" for the lack of a better word to not have dedicated left and right holders. It feels like a "cutting corners" measure. WTF is going on with my favorite skate brand.

They will send it out to you without holders attached and drilled to whatever holder you want, or without holes at all. But you have to pay for the true holders and they will send those to you too. That's what they did for me. Predrill for that SB 4.0s and the holders came un mounted. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Here ya go. New holder, steel, tongue, and 6K carbon weave. 

 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rk5H3zMWjZsBkpte6

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't having a holder that is symmetrical... Wouldn't it be impossible to have the holders centred? The pic you posted the holder looks too far over on the front tower.. and I'm assuming it would be the same but far over to the opposite side on the other skate..

EDIT: Actually looking at it the blade itself looks centred and is fine. 

The front tower plate looks like it's less wide vs tuuks etc. Is it? Seems like to accommodate being able to centre the blade on the boot without having the mounts stick out the side of the boot. 

Edited by Sniper9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't having a holder that is symmetrical... Wouldn't it be impossible to have the holders centred? The pic you posted the holder looks too far over on the front tower.. and I'm assuming it would be the same but far over to the opposite side on the other skate..

EDIT: Actually looking at it the blade itself looks centred and is fine. 

The front tower plate looks like it's less wide vs tuuks etc. Is it? Seems like to accommodate being able to centre the blade on the boot without having the mounts stick out the side of the boot. 

Correct, They are less wide and can be mounted in a similar fashion to figure skates and are actually easier to mount than holders that are right and left as you don't have to worry about the outside of the holder being too far off in some cases. I have only worked on 3 pairs so far but I really like it. There will be quirks as with all of the quick release. Until I'm more familiar with this Shift Holder the XS is still my favorite so far. But this one could take off. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

The front tower plate looks like it's less wide vs tuuks etc. Is it? Seems like to accommodate being able to centre the blade on the boot without having the mounts stick out the side of the boot. 

Correct 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Correct, They are less wide and can be mounted in a similar fashion to figure skates and are actually easier to mount than holders that are right and left as you don't have to worry about the outside of the holder being too far off in some cases. I have only worked on 3 pairs so far but I really like it. There will be quirks as with all of the quick release. Until I'm more familiar with this Shift Holder the XS is still my favorite so far. But this one could take off. 

I agree, the XS is currently my favorite holder but if these are as rigid and durable as promised I might be swayed to using them on skates other than my TRUE. I do wonder with how short the steel is, if it will break.

I had this happen today...

 

IMG-20190725-154911.jpg
 

Edited by Nicholas G
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't a huge fan on how tall the step steel was on the original holders but the ones for the shift seem like they are similar in height to the ls2 steel which I found too short which would lose a lot after even one profile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I agree, the XS is currently my favorite holder but if these are as rigid and durable as promised I might be swayed to using them on skates other than my TRUE. I do wonder with how short the steel is, if it will break.

I had this happen today...

 

IMG-20190725-154911.jpg
 

What blade is that? Stock holder mounting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2019 at 12:26 AM, Sniper9 said:

I wasn't a huge fan on how tall the step steel was on the original holders but the ones for the shift seem like they are similar in height to the ls2 steel which I found too short which would lose a lot after even one profile. 

I would guess different height options will eventually be available  similar to  the difference between LS2 /LS 3 etc. to address this.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Locking mechanism looks solid. With profiling and sharpening you're probably going to go through steel with the lower profile runner quickly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing poorly done spray paint on the toe of the boot and all around? I bought a used pair of goalie true skates and I'm wondering if there's a solution to remove the paint without damaging the rest of the boot. It's just a cosmetic issue and if I'm unable to find a good solution I won't bother, but it's an interesting problem none the less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dimpledballs said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing poorly done spray paint on the toe of the boot and all around? I bought a used pair of goalie true skates and I'm wondering if there's a solution to remove the paint without damaging the rest of the boot. It's just a cosmetic issue and if I'm unable to find a good solution I won't bother, but it's an interesting problem none the less.

Is it just on the plastic toe cap area? I've seen a couple of goalie skates painted white. If it's in the plastic try putting some duct tape on the painted area and let it sit for a couple of days before ripping it off. I suspect a good portion of it will come up. Mabe attack the rest with acetone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×