Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

I think more ppl have had issues with their injected eyelets then standard ones.  At the end of the day wear issues occur in some and not in others in diff areas of skates throughout all brands. True may just not be for you in terms of what you want out of a skate durability wise. 

Also, who knows whether the current line if Bauer's last as long as ur mx3s

In terms of durability, no. But I don’t think I can get the same comfort from Bauer or CCM. Which is a problem when you skate as often as I do. The trade offs are just disappointing when you spend so much on skates, regardless of the brand. But I’m sure all 3 are more concerned with quantity over quality at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, flip12 said:

Wouldn't a thinner tongue be more conducive to lace bite?

It really depends on what has caused the lace bite, sometimes a thinner tongue will work - no degradation in the tongue because of lace pressure and the thinner tongue means more volume in the boot, this may be just enough to relieve / shift the pressure on the tendon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jared9356 said:

In terms of durability, no. But I don’t think I can get the same comfort from Bauer or CCM. Which is a problem when you skate as often as I do. The trade offs are just disappointing when you spend so much on skates, regardless of the brand. But I’m sure all 3 are more concerned with quantity over quality at this point.

Have u tried using the rocket dryer or literally a blow dryer to dry out the skates asap rather than air dry?  I agree the Trues really soak up the sweat, esp with how the inside sole of the boot has a layer of saran wrap and what appears to be masking tape. It is odd that your eyelets are rusting over that quick as they are easily dried by wiping them down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Have u tried using the rocket dryer or literally a blow dryer to dry out the skates asap rather than air dry?  I agree the Trues really soak up the sweat, esp with how the inside sole of the boot has a layer of saran wrap and what appears to be masking tape. It is odd that your eyelets are rusting over that quick as they are easily dried by wiping them down. 

I haven’t. The air drying seems to work well but the damage is done regardless. I’ve wondered if the sole plays a part in that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jared9356 said:

I haven’t. The air drying seems to work well but the damage is done regardless. I’ve wondered if the sole plays a part in that. 

Well I'd argue air drying isn't working well bc it's still causing damage. Also there are also skate dryers you can shove into your skates that help dry the skates up faster.  Something like this 

Or even generic dehumidifier packs. 

Edited by Sniper9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Well I'd argue air drying isn't working well bc it's still causing damage. Also there are also skate dryers you can shove into your skates that help dry the skates up faster.  Something like this 

Or even generic dehumidifier packs. 

Anybody try these out yet? I get megggaaa sweaty feet, so I do want to do something other than air dry. I have no choice but to put mine in my garage which has no ventilation at all. All I do now is tip them upside down and unlace a little bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

Anybody try these out yet? I get megggaaa sweaty feet, so I do want to do something other than air dry. I have no choice but to put mine in my garage which has no ventilation at all. All I do now is tip them upside down and unlace a little bit. 

I use these for ski boots and true skates. Seems to work well, but I never ran a comparison with or without. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, maximus91 said:

I use these for ski boots and true skates. Seems to work well, but I never ran a comparison with or without. 

I didn't realize these were $10... So i just bought a set. I thought these would be like $30+ so I wasn't sure. No brainer to try these out for $10. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How custom are Trues, really? I keep reading different information about how they're made. I've found some slightly used ones on sidelineswap that are the same size that I wear in Bauer, just wondering if it's worth giving them a shot for half off retail, or if that's a waste since they're not made for my feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dasuchin said:

How custom are Trues, really? I keep reading different information about how they're made. I've found some slightly used ones on sidelineswap that are the same size that I wear in Bauer, just wondering if it's worth giving them a shot for half off retail, or if that's a waste since they're not made for my feet.

They are as custom as custom gets. I wouldn't do it... there are no sizes for True's, that's just his best guess since he's required to put a size in. For example, my one True is about an 8.5 and my other one is around 8.75, as far as sizing goes. Keep in mind, the boot even accounts for your arch, so if this guy has a really prominent arch and you have flatter feet, that's really going to suck for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, z1ggy said:

They are as custom as custom gets. I wouldn't do it... there are no sizes for True's, that's just his best guess since he's required to put a size in. For example, my one True is about an 8.5 and my other one is around 8.75, as far as sizing goes. Keep in mind, the boot even accounts for your arch, so if this guy has a really prominent arch and you have flatter feet, that's really going to suck for you. 

Good to know. That's the first I've heard about the arch. The whole reason I'm considering a pair is because I get crazy arch pain in all the retail skates I've tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dasuchin said:

Good to know. That's the first I've heard about the arch. The whole reason I'm considering a pair is because I get crazy arch pain in all the retail skates I've tried.

Probably because retail skates are usually flat and the stock insoles are trash, except for maybe the ones that come in the newest top of the line CCMs. I'm not a Bauer guy so I've never tried their moldable insoles... but you might want to try something along those lines to help with arch issues. Superfeet are also pretty good replacement insoles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, z1ggy said:

Probably because retail skates are usually flat and the stock insoles are trash, except for maybe the ones that come in the newest top of the line CCMs. I'm not a Bauer guy so I've never tried their moldable insoles... but you might want to try something along those lines to help with arch issues. Superfeet are also pretty good replacement insoles. 

I've tried Bauer and CCM retail skates. Tried Superfeet and the CCM Curex insoles, still got arch pain. Haven't tried speedplates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dasuchin said:

I've tried Bauer and CCM retail skates. Tried Superfeet and the CCM Curex insoles, still got arch pain. Haven't tried speedplates.

You might have something else going on then. Plantar fasciitis? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, z1ggy said:

You might have something else going on then. Plantar fasciitis

I guess it's possible, but I've never had any foot pain outside of skating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dasuchin said:

I guess it's possible, but I've never had any foot pain outside of skating.

Well have you ever had to balance your entire body weight on two thin metal things attached to your feet for an extended period of time? And have you been professionally fit at a hockey store for your skates? If yes to both, then maybe see a foot doctor to check things out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Anybody try these out yet? I get megggaaa sweaty feet, so I do want to do something other than air dry. I have no choice but to put mine in my garage which has no ventilation at all. All I do now is tip them upside down and unlace a little bit. 

They work ok, but it really depends on where you store your gear/skates. If its in a cold garage, nothing is going to really help. I would also suggest not putting your skate any place too hot to dry out at that also can lead to premature breakdown of the skate materials.

I personally hang all of my gear in a little locker I built in my garage that has a space heater and a few fans that circulate the air. It is thermostat regulated and keep the locker at 70 degrees. AFter I skate I always take all of my gear out, spray it with a mixed solution of alcohol, water, and tea tree oil. This helps the gear dry out faster while also killing all of the bacteria but its not abrasive enough to damage the plastics and foams. Apply a very small amount as you don't want to saturate your gear. 

The mix I use is as follows: Add 1 cup of plain water, 1 cup of rubbing alcohol, and 20-30 drops of a powerful essential oil like lavender or tea tree, both have antiviral and antibacterial properties. Put it in a clean spray bottle and shake well before using. 

I find as long as I immediately take my gear out after skating, hang it, and spray it, I can go months without having to clean any of it aggressively. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

They work ok, but it really depends on where you store your gear/skates. If its in a cold garage, nothing is going to really help. I would also suggest not putting your skate any place too hot to dry out at that also can lead to premature breakdown of the skate materials.

I personally hang all of my gear in a little locker I built in my garage that has a space heater and a few fans that circulate the air. It is thermostat regulated and keep the locker at 70 degrees. AFter I skate I always take all of my gear out, spray it with a mixed solution of alcohol, water, and tea tree oil. This helps the gear dry out faster while also killing all of the bacteria but its not abrasive enough to damage the plastics and foams. Apply a very small amount as you don't want to saturate your gear. 

The mix I use is as follows: Add 1 cup of plain water, 1 cup of rubbing alcohol, and 20-30 drops of a powerful essential oil like lavender or tea tree, both have antiviral and antibacterial properties. Put it in a clean spray bottle and shake well before using. 

I find as long as I immediately take my gear out after skating, hang it, and spray it, I can go months without having to clean any of it aggressively. 

Yeah I can't put my gear in the  house... Wife's rules 😉 I'll have to try this out... maybe I can at least lay it out in my bathroom over night or something, which does have a fan and all that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, z1ggy said:

I didn't realize these were $10... So i just bought a set. I thought these would be like $30+ so I wasn't sure. No brainer to try these out for $10. 

They generally are but Amazon has them for pretty cheap rn. I just order a set for 24 cdn on Amazon Canada.  Where did u see them for 10?

3 hours ago, z1ggy said:

They are as custom as custom gets. I wouldn't do it... there are no sizes for True's, that's just his best guess since he's required to put a size in. For example, my one True is about an 8.5 and my other one is around 8.75, as far as sizing goes. Keep in mind, the boot even accounts for your arch, so if this guy has a really prominent arch and you have flatter feet, that's really going to suck for you. 

You can technically spot mould the arches. I did that before to both flatten and increase the arch and it worked well with a hear gun. Not sure if it's worth the time etc for some ppl though. 

 

Edited by Sniper9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

They generally are but Amazon has them for pretty cheap rn. I just order a set for 24 cdn on Amazon Canada.  Where did u see them for 10?

You can technically spot mould the arches. I did that before to both flatten and increase the arch and it worked well with a hear gun. Not sure if it's worth the time etc for some ppl though. 

 

Amazon, but USA Amazon.

And yes you can pretty much spot mold anything on these pups but the time and effort you'll put in will be pretty high. I'd rather just save up all my money for a while and have my own rather than spending many many hours tinkering with the boot. I spent sooooo many hours trying to mess with my Mako's when I first got them... such a PITA.

Only way I'd buy used True's would be if the seller and I took the exact same size boot in the exact model. Ie we both took 8.5D in FT1/2 as our last skate. But if I was 8.5D in Ft2 and he was a 8.5EE Supreme... then no way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Amazon, but USA Amazon.

And yes you can pretty much spot mold anything on these pups but the time and effort you'll put in will be pretty high. I'd rather just save up all my money for a while and have my own rather than spending many many hours tinkering with the boot. I spent sooooo many hours trying to mess with my Mako's when I first got them... such a PITA.

Only way I'd buy used True's would be if the seller and I took the exact same size boot in the exact model. Ie we both took 8.5D in FT1/2 as our last skate. But if I was 8.5D in Ft2 and he was a 8.5EE Supreme... then no way.

You're probably right. But $1000 is hard to swallow when I don't know if it'll fix my problem or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dasuchin said:

You're probably right. But $1000 is hard to swallow when I don't know if it'll fix my problem or not.

Then I guess you'll always wonder 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My tendon rivets popped out again.  They were not flared as SkateWorks had previously suggested.  Anyway, I ended up taking a helmet screw bolt and the bolt seat from old SB 4.0+ holder screws and was able to attach the tendon guards on that way.  Looks good, sits pretty flush, and holding well now after a few skates.  Had to open the tendon guard screw holes a tiny bit to accommodate the bolt seat, but nothing that harmed the integrity of the parts.  Didn't use Loctite, but if they start to loosen, I'll probably add when re-tightening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

My tendon rivets popped out again.  They were not flared as SkateWorks had previously suggested.  Anyway, I ended up taking a helmet screw bolt and the bolt seat from old SB 4.0+ holder screws and was able to attach the tendon guards on that way.  Looks good, sits pretty flush, and holding well now after a few skates.  Had to open the tendon guard screw holes a tiny bit to accommodate the bolt seat, but nothing that harmed the integrity of the parts.  Didn't use Loctite, but if they start to loosen, I'll probably add when re-tightening.

The hex of the SB bolt prob fits nicely against the tendon guard too as it has a hex cutout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×