Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sconnie

Wide, flat feet skate fit

When I started skating again a couple years ago I bought a pair of Graf 535S's on clearance on hockey monkey (no returns because they were clearance) and they fit terribly. After messing with different insoles I was finally able to make them fit in a manner that doesn't make them unbearable to skate in, but I've been skating a little more lately so I figured it was time to think about replacing them. So the last time I was at Pure Hockey I had them size me using their fancy Bauer 3D fitting machine. According to that I have somewhat flat feet (news to me) and I have wide-ish feet (I was aware of that as I float between D and E widths in regular shoes and work boots).  Even with all of that the computer said I should be in a 9 EE vapor which confused the hell out of me. My limited understanding is that Vapors would definitely not be the fit for flat, wide feet. Even after telling him that my Graf 535's were too narrow on my forefoot he still just pulled a bunch of Vapors and Jetspeeds for me to try on. They felt alright I guess but they were tight in the forefoot and I wasn't about to buy skates I wasn't that comfortable in. I guess my question is does anyone have similar issues with their feet and what are you in for a skate? I'd rather not make them pull out one pair of every line CCM and Bauer make but if that's what it takes I guess I will.

Regardless, I'd make them pull out every line for you to try on. Don't ever go "Meh, seems to fit OK. I'll take them." Try everything on, because you never know how something will really fit until you try it on. My wide flat feet are different than your wide flat feet. At the very least, you'll get to compare various lines and get a feel of how each fits and be able narrow down which one feels the best to you. One line may feel OK. The next might feel spot on. You don't want to leave the store thinking what if I tried this other skate on?

14 hours ago, sconnie said:

[snip]

I'd rather not make them pull out one pair of every line CCM and Bauer make... 

[snip]

Uh.  Why?  

They're YOUR feet...and soon to be YOUR skates.  And, what's more, they will (presumably) be purchased with YOUR money.  Who cares what Bauer's 'fit computer' says?  If I were you, I'd spend the time trying on every skate in the store until you find one that feels good - especially in your forefoot, since you already know you have issues with that particular area. 

I have your foot type as well. D width Nexus, EE Tacks, and EE 70K's (to my surprise), fit me most comfortably. It'll take some boot stretching and/or insoles to cure all your ills I'd imagine.

On 3/8/2018 at 12:55 PM, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I have your foot type as well. D width Nexus, EE Tacks, and EE 70K's (to my surprise), fit me most comfortably. It'll take some boot stretching and/or insoles to cure all your ills I'd imagine.

Thanks! I'll try those first.

I have wide feet as well, but more width at the forefoot than in the middle (instep). The 68k and 70k did not fit my forefoot width well. The Nexus N9000 did great, but it was too shallow in the midfoot. I was bulging on the 3rd-5th eyelets (counting from the toe). The Jetspeed FT390s fit very well, but they have a narrower/higher instep, so I was getting some pressure/pain above my arch on the inside of my foot. But the forefoot, heel lock, ankle pad positions, all were great. I may try a EE Jetspeed FT1 and FT390 in a 1/2 size down to see if I can get it all. In my size (5.5/6.0) at least, the Jetspeeds fit wider than the 68/70k in the widest part of my foot (big toe knuckle to pinky knuckle).

My past (and current) skates were:

Graf 709 (EE)

Bauer XXX (D) - had to punch out the pinky toe area, the stitching there was thick

Easton S15 (D)

Easton S17 (D) - great skate, had to retire them after they started to unglue

Bauer One.9 (C) - great heel lock with the C width, had to punch out the pinky area

Bauer S190 (D) - good skate, a bit sloppy in the heel

SuperTacks (D) - used them a few times, don't like the steel, may have them profiled or swap out to Tuuk/LS3